5.0 out of 5 stars Super super wide, 30 Sep 2010
John Williams (Apeldoorn, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC Lens For Pentax Digital SLR Cameras (Electronics)
I bought this lens for my Pentax Kx. First used it on a holiday in Yellowstone Park. It was on the camera most of the time; my other two lenses didn't get much use. I was stunned with the results - sharp, bright and with less distortion than I had expected. I think this lens will give me a lot of pleasure for years to come. The lens is quite squat and chunky, and has a solid feel. With such a wide lens there will always be a risk of flare; this will be reduced by using the lens hood supplied. The zoom ring doesn't travel far from its minimum to maximum length, and neither does the focusing ring. Both rings turn smoothly, with the zoom ring (the one nearer the rear of the lens) having rather more resistance than the focusing ring. Autofocus works fine, but I find that I use manual focus more. With filter and both lens caps in place the Sigma weighs in at 437g according to my kitchen scales. This is almost twice the weight of the Pentax 18-55 mm kit lens, heavy enough to make the combination feel nice and solid, but not so heavy as to make it unwieldy or to deter me from taking it on my travels or long walks, or from using it on a tripod. One little gripe; I found the rear lens cap very fiddly to fit, and prefer to use the Pentax rear cap when the lens is not in use. Why this should be is a mystery to me.

One other thing. This has been described as a budget lens, but it isn't cheap by my standards. You will want to protect the front element, but 77 mm filters don't come cheap either. I am very happy that when I bought the lens I also splashed out on the Tiffen 77 mm Photo Essentials kit, which I have also reviewed on this site. I find that the polarising filter stays on the lens most of the time, and there are no problems with vignetting, even with the lens at its widest (10mm) focal length.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 31 July 2011
I have long wanted a really wide angle zoom lens but the price has always been prohibitive. This lens isn't cheap but compared with the alternatives it is a lot less expensive. Apart from the furry finish it looks well made and I have now used it for about 12 months and find it hard to fault. Very little distortion but if you put a polariser over the skylight filter that I keep on it all the time to protect it then the vignetting is noticeable. So take the skylight off first! To pay more than this you would have to be buying a very high quality lens and unless you are a pro I don't see the point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wide enough., 22 Sep 2013
GCW "scullsxx" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Loved using this on a recent visit to Yellowstone. There is some distortion but easily corrected in Lightroom using a profile. For landscapes it is great but it is also useful for interior shoots too where you need to go wide to get the whole room in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 12 April 2013
This is a brilliant lens. I bought it to use on my K-X and it works wonders. All photos in this set were taken with the KX and this lens [...]. If you're thinking about buying this lens I would really recommend that you consider buying a filter aswell as the front element is very large and could be scratched easily. I just use a slim Hoya UV filter that does the job fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth performing super wide, 10 May 2011
Paul C. Bentley (Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
Its a smooth performer, nicely balanced on a mid size DSLR like my Pentax K-7.
Quite happy with the image quality although I think you need to use F8, F11 to get best from it which can mean shutter speeds or higher ISO (which is poor on the K7). I've been using faster lens' more recently, so now for me the F4-5.6 is a bit slow so I'd probably sell it and move up a gear. Its all about cost really. For the money, this is a nice lens and has served me well and reliably. [ ... ] here is an image using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sigma lens, 7 Oct 2014
Delighted with results so far. Sharpness and colour rendition are excellent and lens seems very well constructed.