5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published on 22 April 2006 by Tom

3.0 out of 5 stars Lunatico a bit
Like many albums one buys, this one has at least one good track on it. I'm sorry to say that I can't remember the title as most of the tracks don't really appeal. Having said that, these folks obviously know what they're doing and perform their pieces well. Mostly just not my cup of tea but I'm sure others (younger than me) would appreciate it.
Published on 23 April 2009 by Percy Fledge

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 April 2006
Tom (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lunatico (Audio CD)
Gotan Project are back and in good form - this is an excellent follow up to La Revancha Del Tango. And it is good to see their music is continuing to evolve, with a more diversity on this album than their debut, including a few slower, less electronic tracks and some new influences like the Argentinean hip-hop vocals on "Mi Confesión" - possibly my favourite on the album.

If you liked the first CD you will enjoy this too, and it will be the perfect music for relaxing summer evenings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, irresistable grooves, 21 April 2006
This review is from: Lunatico (Audio CD)
Bit of a departure for me, this one. I didn't catch Gotan's debut but heard this album while browsing the shelves at an independent CD store. I was struck by the ethnic Latin instrumentalisation and some powerful, jazzy use of bass and drums. Not bad for under a tenner, so I duly took it home. Now, revisited on a large sound system: what a revelation! This is one to test the fidelity of your sub-woofer, the bass just bores through to the bone. Also noticeable on deeper listening are some of the haunting vocals, nicely mixing traditional songs and weird (to my ears, anyway) hispanic rap. The tango-derived rhythms perhaps become a little tedious towards the end of an album that is perhaps two or three tracks and 10 or 12 minutes too long. The oddest, and yet most charming, thing about this is its wide spectrum appeal. My girlfriend likes it for the dance beats, my parents like it for its jazzy vocals and cute Mediterranean ambience. Something for everyone here in a surprise entry to your CD collection - but one to be proud of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventurous and promiscuous Tango of the Imagination, 23 May 2007
Mr. Stuart Robert Harris "Vivir Con Arte" (Norwalk CT 06850) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lunatico (Audio CD)
Gotan's first collection "La Revancha del Tango" was an irresistibly gut-grabbing, loin-twitching, bass-loping, dub-tango hybrid winner from the first listen, invariably prompting responses of "What it THIS? I LOVE it".

"Lunático" is a much less in-your-face proposition. I could barely wait to get it out of its packaging, but then I struggled to get into the music itself. Mostly less meaty than "La Revancha" and more varied - tricksier, even. It took some chance random plays on the iPod to insinuate a couple of the songs into my ears again. Then I wanted more. Badly. And now I rate it just as more-ish as "La Revancha".

It juxtaposes the sweet, warm-deadpan voice of Cristina Vilallonga on some tracks (Amor Porteno, Diferente, Celos, Arrabal) with the roguish, rough-edged panache of Carlos Caceres describing the birth of the tango (Notas)and Jimi Santos (Domingo) and the tango-rap of Koxmoz (Mi Confesion). There's even a robot-like treated voice intoning the words to La Viguela, giving it a strangely religious quality.

Like "La Revancha", "Lunático" is steeped in a sense of place and culture but it's not Strictly Tango Argentino. The Gotans have tapped into a tango and a Buenos Aires of the imagination, adventurous and promiscuous and modern yet managing to be faithful to its deep roots.

A mysterious, sly, inventive and captivating work of outstanding creativity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music just getting better and better, 19 May 2006
This review is from: Lunatico (Audio CD)
I'm a big, big fan of La Revancha Del Tango and I want to keep this short. Where the first album has a slant towards electronics / beat programming 'Lunatico' emphasises more classical tango elements in its sound. For me, without being any sort of musician or critic, the sound is just a little deeper, a little more grown up.

For all of this, where La Revancha was undeniably at least a 4+/5 Lunatico has just that bit more to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could give it 6 stars I would !!!, 10 April 2006
Darren Janes "darrenloopy" (Amsterdam, netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lunatico (Audio CD)
I was turned onto Gotan Project just on a whim...had a gift voucher and could not find anything else...so I bought 'Revancha Del Tango', and to this day - no regrets!!!
Gotan's mix of quality musicianship, flirting with French Cafe, Lounge, and Argentinian folk/jazz, is certainly unique and refreshing, taking the classical, or should I say, classy, Tango tradition into new expressions and expressing quality innovation!! Lets you know you are dealing with musicians who take their vibe seriously - just not too seriously, as can be evidenced by their collaboration with Calexico (see their follow-up CD, Inspiracion/Espiracion).
Now they have just released their follow-up album, Lunatico...phew, what an album!!!
The speakers are simply dripping with lush, beautiful notes as Gotan swirl deeper than before into the intimacies of putting French Cafe/Lounge and Argentinian Folk/Jazz into the same bed together.
The album kicks off with a collaboration with Calexico, recorded at their studio in New Mexico (think: Desperado's), like adding some moon-shine or tequila to your salad lunch!!!
After this warm introduction the album takes you into the energetic and sexy Notas, setting you up for the next ten tracks of superb music.
For those who thought La Revanche Del Tango was simply an expression of what is possible, then Lunatico is the fulfillment!!!
I'm not sure if I have ever heard such quality before!!! Gotan have definitely put their hearts and souls into this, and I'm sure that even if no one else like this product, they will still be proud of their efforts!!!
The only problem now is how will the rest of my music collection stand up to this challenge?!!

5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous, rich and complex, 28 Sep 2006
M. Jones "earthbound cloudchaser" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lunatico (Audio CD)
This was bought on a whim as it sounded interesting and for a tenner could have been good. Wrong ... its fantastic! It's rich, multilayered, complex, just leaves me wanting more and more. I'm not a tango music afficionado especially, but the layering of sounds and the complex fusion of different influences haunts me. I can't stop listening to it. This is from some-one who usually plays an album three times then switches to somthing else. Lunatico insits I keep listening to it. I'm hooked. Just give it a go. It's better than chocolates!

4.0 out of 5 stars gotan get it !, 20 April 2006
This review is from: Lunatico (Audio CD)
Gotan project return with their second album, and in short it's cracking !

comprising of hypnotic tango beats and typical accordian based french grooves Lunatico is a light year in front of the first album.

Ideal for Sunday chillin but equally at home for sat partying this is a real gem. Gotan get it now !

5.0 out of 5 stars Long awaited new release from Gotan Project, 21 May 2006
S. Cheeseman "Hippie Chick" (Hampshire,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lunatico (Audio CD)
I have all Gotan Project's albums and their new release is even more superb than their other albums.This album is graced by the vocals of Cristina Vilallonga which makes it such pleaseant,easy listening - perfect for the Summer months!I just love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars What I was hoping for..., 23 Jan 2007
F. Harcus "tuned..." (Bristol, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lunatico [Deluxe] (Audio CD)
I recently got back from Buenos Aires where I first heard this group. I bought this album and La Revancha del Tango at the same time. Both albums are brilliant and having read other reviews online I would say that they have been much more faithful to the style of their debut album. Diferente, Mi confesion, Notas, are great tracks, but the rest of the album really is also very good. Definitely worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, 15 Jan 2014
B. Chidgey - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lunatico (Audio CD)
The music is as expected, full of atmosphere and mystique, I love it. If you haven't heard before, give it a try

Lunatico
Lunatico by Gotan Project (Audio CD - 2006)