5.0 out of 5 stars Ne-yo on fire
Published on 27 Jan 2006 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Boring, but good voice.
I understand what Ne Yo tried to do on this album. He didn't make out that he was some clubby type fast R&B style singer like Chris Brown say..but more of an alternative R&B neo soul artist. That may be why he's called Neyo, im not sure. THis album is definately not R&B..its a soul album, quite slow and if youre looking for floor smashers then it aint for you...
Published on 7 Sep 2006 by Forever Free

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ne-yo on fire, 27 Jan 2006
I had a chance to sample this album way back in 05' and can't wait for this album to hit the stores. Real talent is stepping up none of these one hit wonder no more. Ne-yo is just of hook and i had the pleasure of listening 2 many great songs such as so sick, when you're mad, Let me get this right and stay with me. Such song are classy and timeless. RnB is finally claiming back its spot from songs that last only a season. The minute this album hits stores i will cope it and if you want a timeless album in your collection i highly recommend ne-yo, he has the freshness you need and the young soulfulness to keep you on your toes. Just a great sound for all ages.

4.0 out of 5 stars R&B's newly crowned Prince, 3 Mar 2006
D. Amartey "Degs" (Maidstone, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In My Own Words (Audio CD)
Yep, the boy is that good. Decent lyrics that aren't too slusshy and the usual cliched pants about humping (except maybe Mirror) and how good his car looks. But some real lyrics like track 4 - 'When you're Mad'. The tune is catchy as hell and talks about how he can't stay mad at his girl even when she stomps around, wrinkles her nose etc. Stuff regular guys can relate to. Tracks 1 - 4 are by far the best and will definately give Usher, Mario, Chris Brown and Justin a real run for their money over the next 12 months. 'So Sick' is doing the rotations now, 'Stay' will do damage in the clubs and 'Let Me Get This Right' will do serious numbers if given a push as a single. If you are into the aforementioned artists I would highly recommend you get this as this is way better. It isn't overloaded with guests, there are no intro's, skits or interludes, just decent music you can play the whole way through without hitting fast forward. If you're looking for soul then perhaps this isn't for you and I'd look at Jaheim's new effort perhaps.
Overall I'd give this a solid 4 out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Album Is What R'n'B Has Been Missing!!!!!, 27 Feb 2006
Romer (South London....UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In My Own Words (Audio CD)
This album is what RnB has been missing in the last few years. An artist who can write and produce his own material, there are very few out there today. This album does NOT disappoint, a blend of different styles which Neyo makes his own. If you like Usher & the Mario track"let me love you", you'ill definetely like this album. Why, you say, it's because he's produced and written for them. BUY NOW YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could this record BE any better!?!?, 1 Mar 2006
Random J (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In My Own Words (Audio CD)
Ever since I first heard a promo of "Stay" - I was anticipating this dude's album. Now it's finally here, it does not dissapoint!
This has to be one of the strongest debuts I've ever heard; Period!! Everything about this record is so on point and well crafted: from the lyrics, to the music and the awesome vocal production.
Ne-Yo is already an established and acclaimed songwriter and it's clear on this record to see why. The lyrics come to the fore-front of every single track. Ne-Yo is one of the few artists who can tell an engaging story through music. Every track has a killer line or verse that makes you smile or think "This dude's somethin' else!" *laugh*
Already I'm eager to see where Ne-Yo goes from here. He's crafted a record that outshoots him way ahead of all the other 20-odd year old dudes in the game and without so much as a big name producer to boot!! To me this record is leagues ahead of Usher's "Confessions" and Justin Timberlake's "Justified". Ne-Yo deserves to have multiplatinum sales and a handful of Grammy's, ASCAP awards & MTV moon-men come next year.
Every single track on this album is a gem. An timeless record that you NEED in your collection.
My personal faves:
- Let go

3.0 out of 5 stars Boring, but good voice., 7 Sep 2006
Forever Free (London, Engalnd) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In My Own Words (Audio CD)

I found the album repetitive and boring in places, however its definately A chill out album for those people who enjoy neo soul type music.

Ne Yo's voice is beautiful, fine tuned and lovely, and its good that he didn't submit to the commercial market, however i would have liked better arrangement on some songs, and many of them are unmemorable. Just my view i guess. You'll like this if you like Glen Lewis, Maxwell Ect. All inall e could have done far better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get Down Like This, 2 Jun 2006
V. Ryan (London Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In My Own Words (Audio CD)
Very impressed with the debut from Ne Yo. With music and RnB going through a really bad period (especially in the mainstream) this young Singer/Songwriter is a breath air.

Loved "Stay". It was a toss up between that and "So Sick" for the first single apperently. Obviously I have go a bit sick (excuse the pun) of So Sick, but the album still has some really good RnB tracks.

"When Your Mad" is a wonderful song, and its a shame it never got a release here. Clever Lyrically, nice tune, and great hook.

"Just Aint Right" is another stormer in my opinion. Again, just something about the lyrics and the tune that have kept this one on repeat for me so far.

"Mirror" is just pure sex. Something of the R Kelly's going on in this one (no not underage girls). The lyrics "I see you can you see me watching you lovin it" have stayed with me for weeks!

and of course "Sexy Love". Like it when I first heard it. Something was mentioned on the clapping and ill agree with that. That whole backing tune isn't really needed.

And with some other nice tracks such as "Time" and "Get Down Like That" the set shows itself as very solid.

There are lots of RnB albums by the young go getters (Mario, Omerion, Chris Brown) and I haven't been impressed. As a soul boy and lover of the 90's Rhythem and Blues, a lot of it sounds the same.

But Ne Yo stands out for me. Much better than most Im hearing lately.

4.0 out of 5 stars In His Own Words, 28 Feb 2006
This review is from: In My Own Words (Audio CD)
Well....In My Own Words....What a lovely album. I first heard So Sick, and instantly, I was blown away by the melody and his clean, silk vocals, well that theme continues steadily throughout the album. There isn't a rubbish song on the album, and I am convinced this is the first of many successful albums from Ne-yo!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brillant debut from the sexy Ne-yo, 12 July 2008
C. Cox "Rachel" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In My Own Words (Audio CD)
I love this album when i first got i could not stop listening 2 it, so here is a breakdown of all the tracks.
Stay- we all know this song great beat with ne-yo's slick vocals
Like me get this right- Again great beat and a great tune
So sick-This song never gets boring
When you mad- His third single, love the video,it is about how he think's his girlfriend is even more sexy when she is mad, this is actually a personal experience of his, coz he said this on choice fm radio, brillant radio station.
It just ain't right- Great song one of my favourites, shows off his vocal talent, listen 2 the song and you will know what i mean
Mirror- Shows off neyo's freaky side,good song 4 all the lovers out there
Sign me up- great club banger produced by soon to be record label compound enterianment
I ain't gotta tell you- Love this song has a great beat
Get down like that- Great song but am liking the remix with ghostface better, this remix is also on the album
Sexy love - we all know this song never get bored of it
Let go- I love this song so much
Time- didn't like this song at first but now i love it
THIS ALBUM IS BRILLANT I LISTEN TO IT ALL THE TIME, HE IS DEFO BRINGING SOMETHING DIFFERENT 2 RNB THAN MOST OTHERS WHO ALL SOUND THE SAME.
GET THIS ALBUM NOW YOU WON'T BE DISSAPOINTED.

5.0 out of 5 stars R&B is back, 8 April 2006
This review is from: In My Own Words (Audio CD)
Having lost an interest in RnB for the last couple of years. When it seemed that no real new talent was coming through and all we had were new albums from Usher, R Kelly and more recently Jahiem and Ginuwine. Ne Yo's debut album has rekindle my passion for RnB. With more maturity then his counterpart Chris Brown and a voice reminiscent of a young Usher. And a sound which reminds you of Donnell Jones' last musical outhing which can only be a good thing. This Album shows that RnB will have a long life if the industry can keep finding talent like this. In My Own Words is a easy listening album, which can be enjoyed Monday-Sunday without getting tiring. The Highlights have to be "Let me get this right" which is instantly infectious. "Sign me up" which has next single written all over it. And "Sexy Love" a sing a long which will be a classic in years to come. Buy this album you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars DA BOMB, 28 Mar 2006
GUCCI024 (LONDON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In My Own Words (Audio CD)
Wow, what an album, I am so impressed. Like everyone else, I first heard So Sick and well anyone who hears that track can't help but get the album and you won't regret it. Having said that I am so hooked on some of the other tracks, I have been playing them more. Tracks 1-5 and the last track are my ultimate favourites but the WHOLE album is PURE GOLD.
This guy is a CLASS ACT!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

In My Own Words
In My Own Words by Ne-Yo (Audio CD - 2006)