5.0 out of 5 stars Correct me if I'm wrong but...
Published on 11 Feb. 2007 by Mr. G. O'doherty

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm.
It's nice to have this seminal album readily available, with some trivia to read on the liner notes (and redundant out-takes, AKA "bonus tracks", on the disc), but;

whatever comments you might have read about the quality of this "remaster" ("lifts a veil", and similar bullcrap), it is NOT an improvement on the late-80's CD version I already own.

Far...
Published 10 months ago by Rainer Scott

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Correct me if I'm wrong but..., 11 Feb. 2007
This review is from: My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (Audio CD)
This is less a review than a correction to the Amazon review. The line abou Eno having a sampler was bugging me as I was sure that that wasn't the case. Sure enough, a quick scan of the album notes revealed that Eno and Byrne did it all with tape, making it all the more of an achievement. I guess only anoraks like me will care but what the hey. Whichever way you slice it, it's a great album. Also, anyone interested in this might also want to check out 'On The Way To The Peak Of Normal' by Holger Czukay, ex Can bassist. It was also made by manipulating tape and is, like 'Bush of Ghosts' a remarkable album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music with "Found" Voices and Instruments, 23 Nov. 2008
This review is from: My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (Audio CD)
Eno and Byrne described the sampling (I know they did it manually with tape rather than with a sampler machine) as using "found voices and sounds. It is a shame that in the wake of the Satanic Verses that Eno and Byrne felt it necessary to drop Qur'an and that it remains dropped from the new version, as here it is use for the beauty of the sound of the voice. The context sets the voice off very effectively and in no way takes away from the spiritual integrity of the prayer. As I recall the removal of this track was not in response to any specific threat but just in response to the general climate of fear at the time, shame on those who threaten violence in the name of god. Incidentally the album from which Eno and Byrme sampled the voice for that track is available on Music in the World of Islam Vol.1: Human Voice/Lutes a series of Islamic music albums produced , mainly by Jean Jenkins of which I had a couple on vinyl which I bought from the Museum of Scotland during a related exhibition on Islamic music, they are primitive recordings of beautifully spiritual music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything That Happens Will Happen Today, 12 Jun. 2006
Don Panik (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (Audio CD)
It's not often that a record enters your life and remains part of it. This is one of those records for me. Having been a Roxy Music fan and digging Eno's solo work I well remember the excitement of getting this record home when it was originally released. I can't remember now if I liked it straight away - but I do recall the way that those sampled voices entered my consciousness and stayed there. The idea of an exorcism being set to music was pretty unusual then (and not that common now!) I always saw this as more Eno than David Byrne, and my favourite Talking Heads albums were the ones that Eno produced. Whatever, this was a staggering record at the time and has held up pretty well over the years. Good to see it in expanded form and sounding good. Having owned it on vinyl, cassette, CD and now this version, I obviously like this record.
Wish they would make another record - oh look they just might have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Groundbreaking brilliance..., 29 Mar. 2006
This review is from: My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (Audio CD)
Few records can justifiably claim to be "groundbreaking", but here's one - a mesmerising example of two highly creative musicians at the peak of their powers pushing their ideas out to the edge. Using the infectious poly-rhythms and jerky, high tension riffs & vocals that permeated their brilliantly successful collaboration on Talking Heads' "Remain in Light" as their starting point, they mix-in ingenious looped samples and insidious guitar, synthesizer & percussion back-beats to produce something completely unique. Not only like nothing else around at the time but, like all truly great albums, one that hasn't aged with time. Often sounding more like an inventive slice of modern "electronica/dance" it's almost impossible to believe that it was produced 25 years ago... and, of course, a great deal of what's followed since can be traced back to this amazing record.
Darker and far more "left-field" than "Remain in Light", "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" is no easy listen, but with repeat playing it becomes equally addictive... a worthy successor and a wholly successful exploration of just how far Brian Eno's & David Byrne's complex fusions of electronica & rock could be taken. File under "essential, timeless and under-rated slice of musical genius".

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm., 13 Aug. 2014

Far from it.

In fact it may well sound worse, I believe courtesy of some of the digital processing inflicted on it (and perhaps the age of the tapes), which sound-engineers, even the 'old hands', just CAN'T SEEM TO RESIST playing with.

If anything THIS version is "veiled" in comparison to the older release, despite - or probably BECAUSE of - whatever digital processing has been inflicted on it (outside of the usual "make it LOUDER!" imperative).

As an experiment, I ripped the old version and simply amplified it by 7 dB in an audio editor (limiting peaks to -0.5 dB), doubling the "loudness", and guess what? It's just as LOUD as the "remaster" and STILL sounds better!

A bunch of morons are running the "music industry" (into the ground). And a bunch of morons (like me) keep paying them good money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immensely important album that I'm pleased to revisit, 7 Feb. 2011
S. Tracey - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (Audio CD)
I bought this albumn when it first came out on good old vinyl. At the time I was bowled over by it's innovation and for once recognised it to be a seminal work from the start. Having said that my favourite tracks were the more accessible ones like Jezebel Spirit.

30 years on and a there has been a lot of music under the bridge for all of us. This albumn still has the power to impress and my more educated ears are getting a lot more from the less obvious tracks. Yes the missing track is a let down. Less for the musical hole left and more for the feeling of disappointment in these normally so brave artists. Having said that I honestly could not say that I would have done anything different.

The extra tracks are nice to have but add little. The important thing is that it is back on my playlist for which I am grateful.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Life in the Bush of Ghosts - The Director's Cut, 21 April 2007
This review is from: My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (Audio CD)
My Life of the Bush of Ghosts is an extraordinary, prescient collection of songs that is almost without peers (although other reviewers here have done a good job of summarising like-minded artists). It is unparalleled in its synthesis of international music styles into a futuristic funk so energetic and vital it is hard to believe it was largely pieced together in a studio in the absence of the (yet-to-be-invented) sampler. If you haven't already experienced this record then this is a fantastic opportunity for you to discover in all its remastered glory - although I have to say I wasn't blown away by the quality update here. Often you expect remasterings to totally revitalise older recordings but there is no such epithany here - maybe because there was little wrong with the original recording, I don't know. Unlike previous reviewers I was not familiar with the track 'Qu'ran' and may be wrong in my assumption that this was in fact removed from the album tracklist a long time ago, and not specifically for this edition. It is also worth mentioning (as it hasn't been said here already) that this edition includes a number of bonus tracks from the original sessions that are worthwhile from a completist point of view if nothing else. Some of these are just sonic doodles and others are fully realised tracks that may not meet the standard of the rest of the album but are pretty good in their own right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghosts in the Bush Revisted - But No Listed Voices, 16 Aug. 2012
Mr. B. J. Weatherup (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (Audio CD)
Have to say being a long-term fan of this album that it is pretty much flawless - and having got the remastered/expanded version I have to say that does enhance the original (and yes there are one or two places where you can added elements to the existing versions). The one thing that does add to the original are the two essays on the sleeve notes one by David Toop and the other by David Byrne - both excellent in putting the album into the context of the period. However my only quibble with this reissue is where are the credits for the vocal samples that appeared on the vinyl and original CD issues? Someone in the EMI/Nonesuch marketing dept. messed up on that - as surely as this a record built around voices why the hell aren't they listed on the packaging????? 4 out 5 for the aforementioned omission - but music-wise especially with the additional "Side 3" bonus material 5 out of 5

4.0 out of 5 stars Another shortcoming, 21 Mar. 2006
This review is from: My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (Audio CD)
Forget the cover, Eno has dropped the track Qur'an from the original after complaints from some Muslim organisation because Eno dared to include clips of Koranic recitation. The bonus tracks are all very well, but make sure you get/keep the original if you want to hear the album before it was censored.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the moaning reviews. This is fab!, 31 Mar. 2006
Mr. R. V. Ennis "bumblebert" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (Audio CD)
I got this this morning. The original artwork IS in fact left intact beneath the card slipcase. The bonus tracks on this re issue are (for once) actually some cop! Plus theres a lovely commentary in the booklet from David Byrne himself. Plus, it's been remastered. This does actually make the album sound better, I noticed things I couldn't pick up on the shoddy CD I owned before. Good for remastering to actually be for something other than a marketing gimmick. Anyways, I love this album, and always have since I stumbled onto it a few years ago. Get it!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts
My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts by Brian Eno (Audio CD - 2006)