4.0 out of 5 stars One of Christy's Finest

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good tunes but the dominant key is downbeat
Published on 24 Dec. 2008 by Aquinas

4.0 out of 5 stars One of Christy's Finest, 7 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Smoke & Strong Whiskey (Audio CD)
Please take no heed of the other rather negative review here. Yes there are melancholy, reflective and mournful songs in this collection, but they are balanced with more driving upbeat numbers. Anyway, who said music has to be cheerful all the time? Much Irish and indeed other national folk music tradition has arisen from a desire to comment on and break free from bondage, poverty and despair. Christy does this very well with his beautiful rich voice and understated delivery. Not 5 stars as the album overrall is not a classic but if you like irish folk generally, and the dubliners, pogues and planxty specifically, you will like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real McCoy, 29 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Smoke & Strong Whiskey (Audio CD)
I agree that this album is most definately depresses; but why shouldn't it? Each lyric speaks the truth and unfortunatley the truth is very much so dejection. However this album blew me away it was the real mccoy, unquestionably. My favourite track is Blackjack County Jail because it made me realise just how unjust policing is, and unsuprisingly there is not a single track that I dislike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I ordered, thanks, 28 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Smoke & Strong Whiskey (Audio CD)
Just love the guy. Prompt delivery and would definitely recommend to all my friends. Play it in my car and this puts me at ease.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Mar. 2015
Joseph Larkin - See all my reviews
recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 July 2014
love it .

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good tunes but the dominant key is downbeat, 24 Dec. 2008
Aquinas "summa" (celestial heights, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoke & Strong Whiskey (Audio CD)
Why does Christy Moore have a propensity towards singing depressing tunes? Don't get me wrong, he is a master of this genre. And, yet he can be really funny at times. But, where is the joy? I think its a question of how one views life and its purpose. It is easier to write a mournful tune than one which is motivated by a belly full of joy as real joy is a rarity. And, yet he can be really funny at times. But, as I say, where is the joy? This album is not quite as good as some of his others but I particularly liked his rendition of fairytale of new york.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 21 Aug. 2011
Flo G "Flo" (Gloucester, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoke & Strong Whiskey (Audio CD)
I was really disappointed with this CD.
The artist - not one I have heard of before, but who was recommended by friends, sounds as if he might have been in the bar for quite a while before recording these songs.
Not a CD I would recommend or pass on to those who I want to keep as friends! Sorry.

Smoke & Strong Whiskey
Smoke & Strong Whiskey by Christy Moore (Audio CD - 2004)