Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 November 2010
This is a truly great album from yet another band who wow the critics but are overlooked by the public at large. Opening track Going Against Your Mind is a stunner, an eight and a half minute epic based on a two chord riff that never gets boring and manages the staggering feat of turning from Pavement covering Grandaddy into MBV and back again with apparent ease. On first listen it's difficult to see where the record can go from there, but it heads of in all sorts of directions, encompassing some great indie rock, shoegaze and even reggae, without ever losing its genuine sense of pop sensibility. There are some wonderful bittersweet melodies in here and more hooks than a cloakroom. It's difficult to compare their sound to other bands because they create a noise all of their own, but if you're looking for reference points think about combining the pop nous of Pavement with the scuzz of Dino Jr and the soundscapes of the Flaming Lips/Mercury Rev and you'll be somewhere near. It's one of those records that seems perfectly suited to whatever mood you're in when you put it on, and after a couple of spins through you'll be wondering how you ever lived without it. Brilliant.
on 18 February 2009
The previous album (Ancient Melodies...) was a bit of a disappointment after the amazing Keep It Like A Secret, so my hopes were moderate anticipating this album.

I was wrong! Martsch has developed the sound and the band, ending up in a more dynamic album with a kick start of a first track that definitely got me interested in BTS again.

Lovely and full of variation!
on 17 August 2009
Great band, even though I never caught on to them in the 90s. CD is well worth adding to any CD collection.
on 6 June 2006
God I needed this. I have been dining out on Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Sonic Youth, Calexico, Broken Social Scene,Wilco, Flaming Lips. But nothing fills the void like a BTS album. This has that deep dreamy/wasted/inspired rock-out feel I crave, an enormous but intense landscape. I won't even bother comparing this to the other albums. This one puts me in mind of Pink Floyd though. Martsch's voice is like another instrument. Lyrics are as strange and engaging as ever if you want to tune in to them. But for me the music does all the communicating. Beyond words.