Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 July 2006
I'm a massive Goo fan and have loved basically everything they have recorded to date from the days of 'Hold Me Up' & 'Jed' to the more commercial stuff of recent releases.

I bought 'Let Love In' on the day of release and listened to it once. My immediate thought was 'This is a ballads album' and was not particularly impressed which is the way it will be seen by many Goo fans. The CD was put in the rack and lost behind other Goo albums.

I then saw the guys live at a few venues here in the UK (and was fortunate enough to meet and spend a little time with them) and was completely blown away by the new tracks performed in a live enviroment. Having now given the CD another chance i have completely revised my first impression. Yes it is a much lighter album than any previous ones but the songwriting and lyrics are superb.

People who have only heard 'Iris' will imediately take to this album but I urge all Goo fans to give it a few listens to with an open mind and judge it as a piece of work on its own. If you don't you may end up missing out (as i nearly did) on a great Goo Goo Dolls album.
on 8 February 2007
I guess about now I can count myself as a long time Goo fan.. albeit i've heard segments and portions from both "Dizzy Up The Girl" and "Gutterflower"... never owned the entire album...

I fell in love with the Goos through "Here Is Gone" and it still remains to this day, my all time favourite song, however, as much as I love their sound, all of their older songs, aside from H.I.G were beginning to wear on me after my repetitive listening.. that was until I bought this album.

I am now officially nuts.. this album, since I bought it.. oh who knows when.. i've lost track, there isnt' a day goes by when I don't listen to at least some of the tracks, it's in my car, then I take it out of the car, play it at work, leave work, back in car, out of car, onto computer to listen to in the evening..

Never, ever have I or WILL I tire of listening to this album.

I contradict anybody who states there is a lack of emotional content in this album and question their sense of hearing.. The sound is different from their previous work, it is a lot 'softer' and mature and I for one am LOVING it.. doesn't make this album automatically worse than their previous works. I would actually say it's better in places.. at least in my opinion and musical taste.

The highlight on the album for me are the first 5 tracks, but top is Without You Here.. blows me away every time I hear it.. and the anthemic nature of Better Days would make most people sit back and take stock of their life for a few moments at least.

I am so happy to have finally seen these guys in November 2006, live and only feet away! Utterly, utterly brilliant... the only gripe was they didn't play Without You Here lol.. but I think I can forgive them for that.. just.
VINE VOICEon 28 June 2006
I have been a fan of the goo goo dolls before they had really hit the scene. Once they were leaving their punk roots behind I really thought they had hit something quite special. The riffs they created were second to none, but i fell with this album is another change of music style like the previous endevourment away from punk. I was really disappointed with tis album as i feel they could do far better and i expected john to really push himself for this one. The albums okay for a listen to but i feel the over production of this album and most likely some bad producer advise has sucked any life out of this album.
VINE VOICEon 1 September 2006
Goo Goo Dolls are my absolute favourite band and I love all their previous stuff (anything from Superstar Carwash onwards at least) and eagerly bought Let Love In on day of release.

Initial reaction was extreme disappointment. And it's had plenty of time to grow but it never has. Most of the songs are quite simply bland indie ballads that have been done so many times before and just don't hold my attention.

There are one or two reasonable tracks on here but nothing that reaches the heady heights of previous albums. Best tracks on here are "Better Days" and "Listen" (with Robbie Takac on vocals) which are both pretty good I must admit, and definitely worth listening to. There are a couple of other reasonable tracks, such as "Can't Let It Go" and "Let Love In". Other than that i cannot really recommend any other tracks. Deciding to include the cover song "Give A Little Bit" was a cop-out because it was featured on the excellent Live In Buffalo release some two years previous (both live and studio versions I might add).

If having over half the album packed with songs that sound like nothing more than fillers was bad enough, it all sounds over-produced too. Goo Goo Dolls previous albums were always good at providing accessible rock with a slight edge - not so with Let Love In.

Let Love In is a lot more mellow than previous albums but I've never had a problem with Goo Goo Dolls previous ballads - for example "Iris" and "Name" are both stunning tracks. But the songs on Let Love In lack the emotion of these songs as well as lacking the catchy melodies and riffs Goo Goo Dolls were always so good at.

I want to like this album but it's too much of a let-down. It sounds like a band who don't want to try too hard anymore and are simply content in releasing by-the-numbers music. I hope I'm wrong and they release a follow-up album to match the quality of Gutterflower, Dizzy Up The Girl, Boy Named Goo, etc. They have proved themselves to be excellent song writers and musicians time and again, just not with this album.

As much as I adore the band, I cannot recommend this album.
on 24 April 2006
As the self-proclaimed biggest Goo Goo Dolls fan in the UK (I know there are challengers out there...) I must admit to some trepidation when first listening to Let Love In, the Goos' latest offering. I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I wasn't too keen on last year's single Better Days, and wondered whether my heroes had had their day...

Oh ye of little faith, that's all I can say!

Let Love In - what a fantastic album! This truly is one of those CDs that grows and grows with each successive listen - from the rocking opener Stay With You (new single I believe!) this is a CD you just can't put down, quickly establishing itself as 'The Anti-Gutterflower'. Don't get me wrong, Gutterflower is one of my favourite albums ever, but it was oft-criticised for it's lack of rock balladry, at which the Goos are so adept. Although Iris looked like it might become a millstone for them, Let Love In features at least two ballads of Iris-potential - the fabulous Without You Here (my favourite track at the moment) and the haunting stadium cigarette lighter waving monster that is final track Become.

But the rock is here too - Stay With You, title track Let Love In and Can't Let It Go are all as catchy as hell, while the superb We'll Be Here (When You're Gone) offers some political commentary too and Feel the Silence even has a U2 guitar feel to it.

Only two Robby songs on this album - and even one of those is (nearly) a ballad (Strange Love), but also featuring fantastic Supertramp cover Give a Little Bit, Let Love In is well worth your hard earned cash.

And I'm even starting to like Better Days...
on 24 April 2006
When I first heard this album, I wasn't too sure on it. I didn't feel as if it was a very good follow-up to 'Gutterflower', which is my favourite Goo Goo Dolls album. However, after listening to it a few times, the songs have really grown on me, and all of the songs are amazing. I'm not exaggerating - it really is THAT good. I've never been a real fan of Robby Takak's songs, but I quite like the ones that appear on this CD. I would recommend anyone who likes the Goo Goo Dolls to purchase this. Although it's quite different from their previous material (it's much more mellow), it is very good, and a worthy addition to anyone's music collection. I assure you that you will be as impressed as me. The Goo Goo Dolls have made a triumphant return to the music scene, and I hope that it's not their last album
on 26 August 2006
Now I know why it has taken the Goo Goo Dolls so long to release another album. This is their best yet, no doubt about it. So much thought has been put into each song and the album is utterly addictive. It was hard to nominate a best track, but track 4 (Better days) probably just steals it. I can't rave about this album enough and even think that my ipod likes it now as it's the only thing that gets played!
VINE VOICEon 30 September 2006
this is one of my favorite albums, i keep listening to it, and cannot stop. it is truely great, the lyrics, the music and everything. There is nothing like Iris in there, but you will definetly find something that will you get you hooked.

great album, great music, it has it all
on 5 June 2006
From the first time I heard this album I have liked it - I totally disagree that they've gone 'softer' - this is not much different in tone from A Boy Named Goo although the theme is more carefree then Gutterflower - an understandably jaded album considering John had just split up from his wife when it was produced. In contrast this album has a much more hopeful, positive spin and there are beautiful words, beats, melodies and vocals. 'Iris' is a tough song to top and whilst there isn't a comparable song on this album, the whole thing does continue in the same vein, with that particular Goo 'sound' easily recognisable. Having just seen the songs performed live has really heightened my appreciation for the songs - they are very rousing in a live setting! If you like the Goo Goo Dolls' work from A Boy Named Goo and prefer songs like Two Days In February rather than their 'hardcore' work then this is definitely for you - a pleasing, must-listen album!
on 10 July 2006
THANK YOU GOO GOO DOLLS AND ALL THE PEOPLE WHO MADE IT POSSIBLE . A GREAT WORK FULL OF INSPIRING MELODIES ,TO KEEP YOURSELF AWAY FROM NIGHTMARES WHILE YOU DREAM . LET LOVE IN AND ENJOY !!! THANK YOU