5.0 out of 5 stars Opinions Of Only You - The Best Of The Flying Pickets
I originally ordered this album because I needed a copy of the track "When You're Young And In Love" which, try as I might, was nowhere to be found online as an MP3, so when I discovered that Amazon had this CD in store, I ordered it straight away on the Saturday, and received it on the Monday.
The album is compiled of a mixture of studio recordings and...
Published on 17 Feb. 2000 by jerry.gamble@cwcom.net

Published on 15 Dec. 2011 by Aremess

5.0 out of 5 stars Opinions Of Only You - The Best Of The Flying Pickets, 17 Feb. 2000
The album is compiled of a mixture of studio recordings and a few live ones, demonstrating how excellently the Flying Pickets interact with their audiences. Being a member of a mixed voice choir myself, I can appreciate the necessity of 'getting it right first time', whereas with a studio recording technical quality is not always quite so important, due to the ability to record as many retakes as are required. In my mind, the best measure of true musical excellence is how well an artist can perform live.
I only hope that the Flying Pickets will get back together sometime as I would love to catch them sometime in concert.
My one and only complaint about this album is that after having it on repeat play all day, I have a very sore throat from singing along - something that is extremely difficult to avoid doing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A-capella group that topped UK pop charts, 25 April 2005
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Pop music history is full of unlikely success stories but I was really taken by surprise when the Flying Pickets had the UK Christmas number one of 1983 with their cover of Only you. This song, a UK number two hit just a few months earlier for Yazoo (with Alison Moyet as lead singer), should not be confused with the similarly-titled Platters hit of the fifties, though both are great songs.
The Flying Pickets, as their name might suggest, originally came together when they were among the performers at a political musical, which toured theatres all over Europe for two years. After that, they refined their act performing live in the UK on the club and cabaret circuit before eventually landing a recording contract, which got off to a great start with Only you..
Although they followed Only you with a top ten hit - a cover of When you're young and in love (Marvelettes), they were unable to maintain their success. Their third and last hit (Who's that girl - a Eurythmics cover) just scraped into the lower end of the UK charts. Clearly, the British record-buying public regarded them as a novelty act although they remained popular live performers for a number of years.
This compilation contains their hits as well as their distinctive covers of I heard it through the grapevine (Marvin Gaye), Tears of a clown (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles), You've lost that loving feeling (Righteous Brothers), Sealed with a kiss (Brian Hyland), Only the lonely (Roy Orbison), Space oddity (David Bowie), Grooving (Young Rascals), I got you babe (Sonny and Cher), Summer in the city (Loving Spoonful), Get off of my cloud (Rolling Stones) and Higher and higher (Jackie Wilson).
I do not agree with their politics but it's the music that counts - and it's brilliant. The only other a-capella group I am familiar with is the Swingle singers. I like them too but I think that the very upbeat music of the Flying Pickets is more instantly appealing.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'KNOWN TO MANY AS 'THE USUAL SUSPECTS', 13 Jan. 2015
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Only You ... The Best Of The Flying Pickets (Audio CD)
I'd give it 5/5 for just the two hits achieved by the group..........Considered a 'Novelty-Act' the group were
formed by lead-singer 'Brian Hibbard' who was also an actor, remembered for his dress-sense 'Teddy-
Boy' and impressive sideburns.
The 'Acappella' style brought them a Christmas number with 'Only You' in 1983, though they did achieve a lower
order hit with 'Who's That Girl' in 1984 the groups only other big-hit was, also in 1984 'When Your Young And
In Love' which charted at number '7'
Along with the hits there are many interesting versions of some of the great-pop/rock numbers down the years
including 'Space Oddity' 'You've lost that Lovin' Feeling' 'I Heard it through the Graipevine' and 'Get Off
of My Cloud' among them.
They actually disbanded in 1986, 'Brian Hibbard' and 'Red Stripe' (David Gittins) formed a duo, with little in the
way of success.
Though 'Brian Hibbard' did take up a role in Coronation Street as mechanic 'Doug Murray' he also had parts in
TV shows such as 'Emmerdale' and 'Doctor Who'
Sadly 'Brian Hibbard' died in 2012 aged 65.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flying High, 4 Dec. 2007
A. Herkes "H" (Milton Keynes UK) - See all my reviews
Frankly, I hate their politics so enough of that because I want to talk music.

If you like singers who can sing in harmony but not in a singy-songy singalong style then this is one for you. If you are a bit of a silver oldie, this is for you. If you like to sing along, this is for you. If you like quality songs this is for you.

If you like samey, thrash or boom music save your money, this is not for you. This is no Frank Sinatra/ usual choral/harmony group style either.

They have beautiful, entertaining voices that create a wall to wall, pleasurable, sound experience. Not pretentious just really good singing.

The variety of songs and treatments is wide and it is difficult to pick a favourite. I have one but yours may well be different.

This is a treat.

Their public performances were magnificent. Come back boys re-work the magic.

Meantime I recommend you buy this CD and enjoy that magic.

H

3.0 out of 5 stars Good album but you needed to be there for the 'Live' performances, 15 Dec. 2011
Aremess "AremessUK" (Littlehampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
My title says it all. A good album which shows off the group's vocal expertise. My only gripe is that, if the producers want to add in 'live' performances, why put in ones that the listener needed to be there to appreciate what was going on. The final track in particular (Higher and Higher) was a real 'audience participation' version which left a listener out in the cold as to what was going on. In a similar vein, the 'Coral Island' section of the track 'Coral Island/Summertime' is lost on someone purely listening (if you, like me don't like it, and you use iTunes, set the track to start at 2.44 ['Get Info; Options; Start Time'] and the track commences just as 'Summertime' starts (which is brilliant by the way). The other 'live' tracks are fine as the listener can appreciate them as well sung tracks.

I would have given this 4 stars but for these tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUCH A DISTINCTIVE GROUP, 11 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Only You ... The Best Of The Flying Pickets (Audio CD)
Its a pity more modern so-called groups can't take a leaf out of The Pickets' book -- no dancing acrobatics or a whole bank of dazzling pyrotechics needed to hide their any lack of vocal skills, apart from perhaps the twitching of Red Stripe's knee! Their acapella harmonies, both 'live' and in the studio, and an innovative choice of repertoire were all just brilliant, plus of course their distinctive image of a bunch of left wing weirdoes. All this led to some remarkably out of keeping chart toppers in the early to mid 1980s -- a career which sadly was too short lived. I just had to have this fine 'Best of' in my collection. Great stuff -- had it on a cassette (remember those?) and I still love it in its more convenient, the CD, 30 years on. You won't get such lasting admiration of the trash that the likes of 'X Factor' or 'Britain's Got Talent' churn out for a career that lasts the so-called stars perhaps six months if they're lucky!

5.0 out of 5 stars Only the Flying Pickets, 20 April 2011
This CD is subtitled 'The Best of The Flying Pickets
This is the original line up - accept no imitations. The Flying Pickets were pop A Capella par excellence - if the F.P's have a fault it is that they never recorded enough tracks in their comparatively short careers. No one will be disappointed with this CD - every track, live and studio recording - is superb. If you have never heard their versions of Only the Lonely, Sealed with a Kiss and Who's that Girl? - do your ears a musical favour and get this CD - I said it before but it bears repeating -you will not be disappointed - five star music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Only You!!, 21 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Only You ... The Best Of The Flying Pickets (Audio CD)
I met Brian Hibbard in Cardiff at the Elvis World Cup - I knew his face was familiar, but I couldn't place him! I went over to him and asked him was he someone famous! So this is how I come to purchase the CD!! I have the Only You track on another CD - I've always loved this song - I love the original version by Alison Moyet and have it in my CD collection too. I bought this CD to listen to the Flying Pickets in their full glory. It makes me feel young! The acapella is just wonderful to listen to - I love it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars They're great, 16 Dec. 2007
Robert Limb - See all my reviews
My brother introduced me to the Flying Pickets years ago, and having found an old cassette, I got on to Amazon to see if a CD was available. The kind of a cappella singing I'm involved with is more likely to be Handel or Poulenc, but the FP's are fantastic.
PS : there is a video of them singing "Only You" on the internet - which you can also hear sung by a Spanish choir - I think in Spanish. Unusual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong ..., 29 Dec. 2011
Love these guys and had almost forgotten their music when this fabulous album came to my attention and at a great price. IF you like acapella and the originality of the Flying Pickets, this is a great selection of songs to own. And at the MP3 download price, there was no reason to resist buying! You will not be disappointed.

Only You ... The Best Of The Flying Pickets
Only You ... The Best Of The Flying Pickets by Flying Pickets (Audio CD - 2006)