5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly chorals
In this compilation we listen to the expressive medium of the voice at its best and finest in sublime religious chorals.

Published on 7 May 2010 by Serghiou Const

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Music - But Solemn
I bought this as a wedding anniversary present for my husband as he is a great admirer of The Sixteen's music. However, I did not realise it was mainly solemn laments. After a few tracks he was virtually in tears. He also started to wonder if it was a hint in giving him a CD with so many funeral laments.

Lovely, wonderful music - but not for those seeking...
Published on 6 July 2009 by Sandra A. Hardingham

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly chorals, 7 May 2010
Serghiou Const (Nicosia, Cyprus) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ikon (Audio CD)

The title 'Ikon' correctly reflects the predominance of compositions from the Eastern Orthodox Church even though compositions as a whole are from differing Christian traditions. Compositions were created in the twentieth century but some namely 'Exhortation' and 'Kohima' by John Tavener in the 21st. The commanding majority of composers are renowned and include Sergei Rachmaninov, Arvo Part, John Tavener, James MacMillan, Igor Stravinsky, and Gustav Holst.

Spirituality permeates all compositions but there is individual presence:we experience the serene spirituality of Sergei Rahmaninov's vespers, the passionate spirituality of James MacMillan, the minimalist 'tintinnabulation' compositions of Alvo Part, and the glory of the Church in Gustav Holst.

But all compositions pour balsam on our hearts and rejoice our spirits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ikon-ic, 9 Mar 2006
This review is from: Ikon (Audio CD)
This is a truly outstanding CD with some of the finest choral music I have ever heard. Conducted by Harry Christophers, The Sixteen really prove themselves as one of the finest ensembles in the world. This album definitely has a spiritual feel to it and this adds a real depth to the music. With work by Rachmaninov, Stravinsky, Holst and MacMillan all featured on this disc I really feel that this is The Sixteen’s best work to date. I simply cannot see how this album could be improved and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Absolutely brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars goosepimples, 15 May 2007
This review is from: Ikon (Audio CD)
It has to be said that there is little more versatile as the human voice as an instrument. This proves the point beyond measure.

Clarity, emotion and total respect for the piece are in abundance throughout the album.

Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 12 Oct 2006
A. G. Williams "blue monk" (carmarthen s.w. wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ikon (Audio CD)
Some of the most beautiful music, sung by one of the greatest singing groups in the world. What more can one say, very emotional and very

enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Ikon (Audio CD)
Radio 3 talks so very much about Harry Christophers Sixteen that I needed to explore works on Amazon and to remind myself that I do not necessarily want new products- it is the opportunity to just listen and not budget too tightly with not new products. Sellers via Amazon are almost always faithful in the quality of their products for sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Widened my horizons, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Ikon (Audio CD)
I am steeped in the Western choral tradition, my idea of heaven is Josquin Misere Mei, Deus (De Labyrintho version of course)but this album has opened me up to the whole Eastern tradition and an appreciation of basso profundo within that tradition. The album came out when it looked as if the Sixteen were heading towards Smooth Music eg Renaissance, but intrigued by the title I bought it anyway knowing from their cds and live performances (yes, Renaissance, but also Victoria Requiem and Song of Song Motets) that the singing alone (see other reviewers about that) would justify the purchase whatever the content. And it was well just so very different, took a few listens but then I was hooked. Theres one or two well know pieces such as Athene on it but plenty of others showing what a rich tradition and heritage is captured by this album. De Profundis for example, one of my favourites on the album. and I had the pleasure of hearing them on the tour of the album, though it seemed an AGE after its release. So thanks Harry and the 16 for opening my ears.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sixteen excell, 28 Aug 2010
NC De JONG (the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ikon (Audio CD)
Absolutely beautiful! I love listening to these quiet and familiar hymns. Although some were totally unknown to my ears. So peaceful. Wonderful cd to give as a present to others who appreciate classical spiritual choir music. And The Sixteen are in my humble opinion, today's finest choir still doing what they do best: singing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Peaceful, 10 Mar 2014
Beautiful, peaceful music which takes you to another place and time. Wonderful singing, as always from The Sixteen and Harry Christophers.

5.0 out of 5 stars In an Orthodox stylee...., 9 Feb 2014
Davey (Dorset, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ikon (Audio CD)
Sorry, as an old reggae fan I couldn't resist that.

This is actually a very beautiful album covering quite a range of choral music, but all of which is linked by having some connection to the Orthodox tradition; there are "obvious" composers such as Tavener and Part, and less so ones such as Holst and Stravinsky, and works by young James Macmillan (same age as me!).

And, yes, it has a preternaturally beautiful recording of "Song for Athene" on it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful album., 8 Jan 2014
Fi (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ikon (Audio CD)
I bought this to add to my CD collection and I was not disappointed. It is truly wonderful and listening to it transports you to another place. It is very spiritual and thought provoking.

I'm so glad that I chose it and, for me, it just gets better each time I play it.

Ikon
Ikon by The Sixteen (Audio CD - 2006)
Click for more info