Format: Audio CDChange

on 31 May 2011
What a career David has had and this CD contains his unique songs that have sustained a near on forty year career.
Rock on is such a great timeless song that never ages and always sounds fresh. The follow-up Lamplight, which David still sings in concerts today is here and remains a concert favorite. The "America" single was released just before the no 1 hit "Gonna make you a star" I always thought "America" was a haunting interesting track. The Stardust track from the film of the same name stands up well and is sang with real emotion. I think we all know "Hold me Close" another number 1 hit."City Lights" is another classic and you instantly know it is David Essex song as this guy is a total individual.
The great thing about this CD is it moves fully through his singing career and also contains "Its Gonna Be Alright" from the "Wonderful" album, which is also worth buying. Well Done David - Rock On!
'David Essex' in the 70's and early 80's was probably what I would describe
as the 'ideal-pop-star' he had it all, a great pop-voice obvious-good looks and
that cheeky-smile.
Born 'David Albert Cook' started his show-biz career back in 63' signing for the
'Fontana-Label' which didn't really take-off for him, he then went on tour for a
couple of years with a group calling themselves 'David Essex and Mood Indigo'
I guess his big-break was in 71' when he took the lead role In the stage show
'Godspell'
However his aim to break onto the U.K pop-scene came to fruition in '1973' when
'Rock On' charted at number '3' (it was also a Top10 hit abroad including the U.S
and Australia) he was on his way.
'David' penned many of his Chart Songs, between 1973 and 1983 achieving
fifteen Top 30 Hits in the U.K ten of which were in fact Top 10 entries two of those
peaking at the very top of the pile, those being - 'Gonna Make You A Star' (1974)
and 'Hold Me Close' (1975)
The album has all the memorable Hits on-board, among some of them being -
'Stardust' 'Rolling Stone' 'If I Could' (maybe my favourite of 'David's' though it
only peaked at number '13' in 75') 'Oh What A Circus' 'Silver Dream Machine'
and 'A Winter's Tale' just a sample of the memories on board, he of course did
have several lower order Chart entries in addition to his fifteen Top 30 successes.
Down the years 'David' of course has had several acting roles, in recent times of
course he had a spell in 'Eastenders' as 'Eddie Moon'
'David Essex' certainly a talent.....This album is a great reminder of his Chart era,
(though I do own other material of his) I would say, if you just wanted one reminder
of his music, this would be a great choice.
44 comments5 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2010
This CD was bought for a friends birthday - he was extremely pleased as it had all his favourites on - his first trip in the car, he took it with him, put it in the CD player and it's still there!!!
on 3 July 2015
I am a huge fan of the 70s and 70s music. And David Essex was a massive star of this era.
This CD includes all his best known gems and is a rich musical experience.
From the funky Rock On and the 0h so 80s Me And My Girl (Night-Clubbing) to the melody of A Winter's Tale and the glorious Hold Me close to the superb Essex version of Oh What a Circus from Evita. Essex is a legend. This will give your great hours of listening, Not to be missed
on 11 September 2007
Very good CD, but why didn't they include the original 1978 hit version of 'Oh What a Circus'? The version here is a much more recent version (made for 'Evita') and sounds nowhere near as good as the original.
on 22 October 2015
I was slightly disappointed because the songs were sung recently and were not from when they were originally released. This was not the sellers fault but my own for not check ing the release date.
on 20 April 2012
I listened to David Essex when I was a teenager growing up in the 1970's.
When I heard Hold Me Close and Lamplight I was 14 again!
I too would have preferred the original 'Oh What a Circus' -but this track was still acceptable
Some well known and some not so familiar tracks on this CD- an enjoyable way of turning the clock back and an enjoyable listen in the car or while doing the housework.
Bargain price and quick delivery- so treat yourself!
on 31 January 2014
as a lover of the seventies music scene,i am always looking out for good original recordings of the stars of that era.cos there is so many rerecordings by the stars past their best,you cant always be sure of getting a decent recording.glad to say that this album is david at his absolute peak,every song is a original recording with all his hits in the playlist.very worthy of the title "very best of".
on 12 January 2014
I bought this CD mainly because of one track. "A Winter's Tale" is one of my favourite songs to listen to leading up to Christmas and I love watching the music video on youtube with David Essex and the Border Collie in a winter landscape.
I was listening to the other songs yesterday and realized how good they were and why they were so popular back then. This is a very enjoyable CD.
on 2 June 2013
I love the "Winter's Tale" - especially as we have had such a harsh winter this year. My friend wanted a DVD of all the snow we've had - piled high in this area - amazing scenes. He wanted to send a DVD to Australia where members of his family have never seen snow! And that song was perfect as background to the astounding pictures.