5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER LACUNA TRIUMPH!!!
Published on 10 April 2006 by Mr. A. Fletcher

3.0 out of 5 stars World Domination beckons....but....what a fuss about nothing
Firstly let's get this out of the way, I have no axe to grind here. I am a casual fan who has heard all the bands CDs and who in fact saw the band in London in 1997 before they even had a record out. But I'm not under Christina's spell and I'm not devoted to the band - although I saw them last year for the 4th time and thought them boring beyond belief.
But to...
Published on 6 April 2006 by Malibu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER LACUNA TRIUMPH!!!, 10 April 2006
This review is from: Karmacode (Audio CD)
Firstly, if you like Comalies you'll love this! It seems to simply continue where the last album left off, going from one GREAT song to the next. Christina's vocals are mezmerising amidst the low under-the-surface keyboards and full on heavy guitars! Each song has its own appeal, and the bass-lines shake everything in speaker-shot! Listen to it loud and with full bass to really know what I mean!!!
At present I still prefer Comalies, but this will soon take over I'm sure. The songs are well written, performed and sung, diving through a pool of different emotions, and to top it all off at the end...there is a FANTASTIC cover of Depesch Mode's "Enjoy the Silence" which is one for the goth clubs!!
Simply put, if you're into the Coil, then buy it!
If you're new to the Coil, it's a good album to start with!

5.0 out of 5 stars great. very very great., 24 Feb 2009
Michael Smith ""SAY HELLO TO GOOD TIMES"" (Norfolk, UK, in a little village named Crimplesham...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karmacode (Audio CD)
When I was 15 years old, underground music was a very new thing to me. I had gotten into bands as diverse as within temptation (who I now dislike for being to camp), funeral for a friend (who I still adore), HIM (a band I now find to be decidedly average), and lacuna coil.
I bought this album having heard little of there earlier stuff, the day it came out. I went to my local CD store and immediately I could tell I had in my hands a record that was going to be very special to me. I have been brought up as one of Jehovah's Witnesses and because of this religion is very important in my life. But at that time I was confused by whether I believed my religion was true.
Now you might be wondering how this relates to this album, but hang on there please! Before this record came out, I read a track by track preview in rock sound. I was delighted to note that the attractive Cristina Scabbia was more than just a pretty face. Her bands latest record dealt with themes of religion and faith in a society wrapped up in materialistic desires! Suffice to say I was and am a very complicated youth!
When I read the lyrics at first, I was disappointed. They made little sense. But the music was awe-inspiring. Sure, the riffs and the bass were down tuned and faintly nu-metal, but the song-writing was spectacular. 'our truth' is one of my very favourite songs, even now in 2009, and songs like the haunting 'In Visible Light', the awesome beats and thunderous energy of 'Fragments Of Faith' and the mesmerizing intro 'You Create' that slowly morphs into the killer 'What I See'. As I took in the emotion, the structure and the depth of the music, I soon found myself able to interpret the lyrics. 'What I See' raised the question of why do we die? This is a very big question within my religion. because I asked about the issues raised by this record, such as is there a 'higher ground' as mentioned in the pop-tastic melody of 'Closer', is there a reason to keep on searching as mentioned in 'within me' and does life really have to be fragile as raised in the song, erm, 'Fragile?
I asked my parents these questions, and to my surprise I found the answers from the bible. The actual holy scriptures. Thanks to this album I found the meaning of life. It didn't answer my questions, but it raised them.
They are my favourite band in the whole world. You can say this is a rubbish review, but the best music reflects the inner being, provokes thoughts and forges a new attitude. This album for a while did just that but now my religion does that instead?

Thanks!

Standout tracks: 'Our Truth', 'Fragile', 'You Create/What I See' and 'Closer'.

4.0 out of 5 stars So close and yet so far!!, 11 May 2006
Mr. T. Evans "Tombo The Great" (Worthing, near brighton, in the UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karmacode (Audio CD)
I love Lacuna Coil don't get me wrong but i just feel that this doesnt quite sound as good as there first 3 albums.

There are no songs that sound better then the rest if you know what i mean.

In my experience there is always a song on an album that stands out that you always look forward to when you start the album.

Also these seem to be songs without meaning. Like they were written to sound good and not necessarily tell a story as in other Lacuna songs.

Im not dissapointed and i would still recomend people to get this album but i would recomend getting the others before this one...

Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 8 April 2006
This review is from: Karmacode (Audio CD)
Much more accessable than previous offerings, the fourth album from Lacuna Coil appears to be an all out push for chart success. And they fully deserve it. Although they could be accused off sacrificing integrity and focus, the gamble appears to have worked. Stand out tracks such as Swamped and Unspoken aside, I'd found Comalies a difficult album to get into. But the Coil appear to have remedied the situation, allowing casual listeners to get involved with the music. A cover of Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence appears to be a good way of providing a reference point to casual listeners, and first single Our Truth is amazing. However, for the stand out track on the album, I would go for the ITalian sung Without Fear, a magnificent and frankly beautiful track. And one that well justifies buying this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid album., 4 Dec 2008
Mr. S. Lewis (Saltash, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karmacode (Audio CD)
I recently saw Lacuna Coil supporting Bullet for my Valentine and they were fantastic. I had not really been looking forward to them because the stuff I had heard from their first two albums, I didn't really like. However, I really liked the live songs and later learned that they were mostly all from this album. I bought and really enjoyed listening to it. Anyway I will now do a track by track run through:

Fragile - A good start to the album. The riff is memorable and the vocals by Andrea Ferro are powerful and singable. There are also some great vocal harmonies between him and Cristina Scabbia. 8/10

To The Edge - Another strong track and I think this one was used to open their set when I saw them. It's a very strong, powerful song with great vocals and guitar work. 8/10

Our Truth - After a rather lame and pointless intro, this song kicks off with some major riffing and chants from Cristina. Her vocals on this track are very good and to be honest, this is probably my favourite song on the album. 9/10

Within Me - This song is quite a contrast to the songs gone previously. It utilises acoustic guitars and lots of keyboard to produce quite a nice ballad-style song. 7/10

Devoted - This sounds extremely down-tuned which it makes it seem really heavy. The interwoven keyboards and synths are rather interesting and complement the vocals well. 7/10

You Create - A short instrumental piece. Basically an intro to the next track. 6/10

What I See - Some great dumming starts of this song where the instrumental left off. This song is sung more of a duet rather than with lots of harmonies which I think is quite effective. Great Chorus 8/10

Fragments of Faith - Another Andrea-led song. This song is ok but nothing I really would consider 'special'. It's not particularly memorable. 6/10

Closer - Funky synths? Yeah, this song does have a weird intro, but it turns into a rather good song. The chorus is catchy as hell and it's a real pop song. I think it was quite a big single. 8/10

In Visible Light - I think that this song is fairly boring and doesn't really have anything to it except a grinding riff. There's no real depth but not bad. 6/10

The Game - Another relatively poppy song with some cool keyboards and hooks. 7/10

Without Fear - A rather slow and quiet song with some nice vocals. Nothing special though. 6/10

Enjoy the Silence - This is a cover of a Depeche Mode song and I must say, I really like it. I haven't heard the original so I can't compare but I like this very much. 8/10

This is pretty strong album with some good tracks. Well worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album!, 3 May 2006
This review is from: Karmacode (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed this latest offering from Lacuna Coil. The album flows from one song to another which makes it very enjoyable. While I enjoyed every song, my particular favorite is Fragments of Faith. It gave Andrea Ferro the opportunity to really show off his vocal chops. It seems he improves with every album. Cristina's vocals are fantastic as always. They blend well in particular on the Enjoy the Silence remake track. I have enjoyed every album they have made and they're only getting better!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Comalies, 12 April 2006
This review is from: Karmacode (Audio CD)
I have to say that when I first heard this album I did not like it at all. It doesn't sound like any of their previous work, it's much more "American", with heavy bass and guitars. However it's definitely a "grower" in that it requires a few listens to take it all in. "Our Truth" and "To the Edge" are the best tracks, And the depeche mode cover is wicked too.

Overall its O.K, but Comalies is still their flagship.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 9 April 2006
This review is from: Karmacode (Audio CD)
Ill keep this review short, This is definately the bands best album to date. Easily the heaviest stuff theyve done in a long while (listen to the first two tracks and youll agree). Well done to Lacuna Coil for coming back with a heavy yet beautifuly melodic masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Yet, 4 April 2006
This review is from: Karmacode (Audio CD)
I can honestly say this is now my favourite Lacuna Coil album. I loved Comalies to death and really enjoyed their earliest tracks, but this CD stands out to me as a huge step forward. It could well be the effect of the far superior production elements - the vocal layering is particularly powerful. I've always been of the opinion that the male vocals can sound poor when compared alone with Cristina's amazing voice, but the blending and echo effects work extremely well here. It's much more mature. I thought I might be disappointed with this album, as it had so much to live up to and attempt to exceed, but it surpassed all of my expectations. It will appeal to LC fans and first time listeners alike, I think. A fresh yet surprisingly true-to-the-original cover of the Depeche Mode track Enjoy The Silence is a great finish to the CD. 5 out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can LC do no wrong, 10 Sep 2006
This review is from: Karmacode (Audio CD)
Tremendous album...a more varied collection of songs which would suit the new listener to LC's music.There is a greater flexibility of style than previously yet their coherent 'rockiness' exists in a flavour which is uniquely their own. Buy it, play it, enjoy it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaa251c48)

Karmacode
Karmacode by Lacuna Coil (Audio CD - 2006)