Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 January 2009
I saw them live and they were the best act I saw that year. This album is packed full of great songs. Yet where were they in any music critics list of best of 07? When dreary acts like Howling Bells and Elbow have continued to get praise and publicity, this terrific band have faded from view, and now you can buy their only record for less than a quid! File under 'for those who know great music and don't follow the herd'.
on 1 February 2006
The Like are three LA girls and this is one impressive debut. The big news is the vocals - Z Berg's voice is a revelation - mellow raunchy perfection with effortless quality - against backdrop of swooping and riffing guitars. Very tight production gives wall-of-sound behind that voice. They rock. The only singer i can think of that comes close to Z Berg for silky power, range and exquisite tone is Colette Trudeau of Live On Release. Some say The Like sound at times like the Pretenders but there's all kinds of resonances here from The Martinis ('Smitten') to Garbage, Metric, Lillix and LOR. The best track for me is Once Things Look Up but I like them all except the rather incipid You Bring Me Down. If you like all girl bands you might just love The Like. I give it 4 stars because it's great pop music with truly exceptional vocals and I love it but I think 5 stars is for seminal records that move the earth (e.g. Martha Wainwright's debut).
on 27 February 2006
The Like have compiled a mixture of tunes that are simple yet original. All their tunes have a distictive sound that cannot be labelled to any other band. They are going to be a big success with their catchy music. They are a band that grow on you with every listen - try it and see.
on 14 January 2011
This album is stunning. The quality of the musicianship is remarkable (the bass player in particular is so original and melodic) and the vocals are world class. Plus the songs blend catchiness and off the wall chords really effectively. Of course they all have showbiz dads so its perhaps not surprising they are so bloody good. The best girl band I have ever heard and way better than most blokes, too
on 20 October 2014
Have to admit I had never heard these girls, but if you read this review I recommend you buy this album NOW its a timeless collection of well laid down music played by three very talented musicians, this album needs to be revived because these young ladies have what it takes and it not just talent, ((very over used word by talent shows these days)) they are great song writers and excellent musicians.
on 7 March 2006
Get this album! I bought it in the US a few months back and got to see them play at the barfly in camden on sunday last week which was great. They rock. The album is definitely the best new band record i've listened to in ages and so different to a lot of the indy stuff breaking right now. It's so good to finally hear a good female fronted credible band coming thru. They're quite reminiscent of a less poppy Bangles with a shades of Nirvana guitar moments, and the slow songs are lovely too. I always judge a good album as having at least 5 great songs on it and i think this has seven maybe 8! Saw the album got a great review in Mojo magazine too if you're looking for a blessing from a good authority, 4 stars i think. Am getting one for a friend for his birthday. I reckon these girls are gonna fly. Fave tracks are What I Say And What I Mean, Too Late, Falling Away, Under The Paving Stones, and Mrs Actually. Best New album of 2006 so far for me without a shadow.
on 27 February 2006
I think there's a new girl-rock revolution coming - headed up by The Like! As a huge fan of The Breeders, Sundays & Belly, it's really refreshing to have a new band and album that brings together so many great hooks, melodies and songs worthy of that scene. This honestly is an awesome album. I love 'June Gloom' and 'What I Say And What I Mean', plus there's so many other good tracks on here - I especially like 'The One' and 'Waves That Never Break'. I have read loads about this band and seen them live - the album really is a must have.
on 29 January 2011
I Ordered this just after the Christmas busy period and I was not disappointed by its arrival date nor the condition of the product itself. Oh yeah and it was packaged well.
on 26 April 2006
On this debut from this excellent instrumental band, lead vocalist Z Berg sounds like Debbie Harry's younger sister at times with her formidable vocal style. The band has a distinctive, punky, solid sound and this intriguing debut album shows great promise.

The opener "June Gloom" has Z Berg crooning like she means it, with quite a powerful chorus line-"looks like the end of days, but it takes more, much more, for anyone to say".

I really liked this song.

The mood continues with the more upbeat "What I Say and What I Mean" with Z's intense vocal "Never going back and forth, I'm only going forward; that's what I keep saying."

This girl could be going places. She has the charisma and the voice for success.

On "You Bring Me Down" she sings, "you wake me up when you're around-"

It's a love song, quite analytical and clever, with a smooth tune, and quite singable.

There's an undercurrent to it, and a melancholic feel.

I like the next track "So I'll Sit Here Waiting" with its dreamlike quality, chiming guitars and decisive drumming. Ms Berg's voice suits this song well-she sings some lovely flowing vocals here and the backing is excellent. This should be the next single release, by rights.

"Bridge To Nowhere" is more straightforward-it doesn't quite hook you in the same way as the previous few tracks, but nevertheless the effect produced has no less impact.

"Once Things Look Up"-this is rather ballady, with Ms Berg's voice hitting all the right notes but it IS a little predictable.

"Under The Paving Stones", another ballad style song, but a bit more lively, and yes, dare I say it again rather predictable. Are The Like running out of steam halfway through their debut?

And they started so promisingly! Ms Berg's breathy vocals carry this tune along; she has her own singing style and manages to resurrect what could have been a rather humdrum song, by injecting feeling and passion into it.

More breathy words from Ms Berg on "Too Late "backed by some imaginative and tuneful guitars. However this could be perked up a bit, in spite of the dreamlike quality of the backing.

Back to predictability again, on "We Are Lost". Similar guitar backing as on the previous song and the same dreamlike quality. This could get into a rut in spite of some pretty harmonies from Ms Berg.

"The One"- carries much more substance as a song, with a clearly identifiable tune and some good lyrics.

"I'm not shouting-I'm just talking

You're not listening-you're just larking

Take one hint to get another

In one ear and out the other"

I found myself really singing out loud to this one.

It even has - dare I say it-drama and a large dollop of 60s harmony in that chorus-hang on tight to it.

The next song is back to more plodding predictableness, but held together by Ms Berg's emotive voice.

"In your arms my whole world's falling away, "sings Ms Berg on the next track. This one has a definitive chorus.

"I'm sorry that you couldn't stop to stay" she sings, somewhat sarcastically.

One of the best songs on this album, with the most impact.

"Waves That Never Break" is a slow, sad ballad, rather beautiful-

"Waiting alone in the darkness

Smiling and falling

Too frightened to say

We can't live this way" Ms Berg's imploring tone makes us feel sorry for her in this song.

"One Step Ahead"-a passionate song, shows Berg's voice in good control above the band's measured backing.

"It's hard to stay

One step ahead of you."

This first album from The Like shows surprising control and maturity from the three girls band members who are blossoming into a force to be reckoned with. Let's hope this debut brings them recognition.

Submitted by Juliet R
on 19 April 2006
Heard this band play live on TV about a month ago and I found them very intriguing. After listening to more of their songs on their website I was hooked and bought the album when it came out. I was not disappointed with the rest of the album and am still enjoying listening to their music over and over. Not your average 'girls playing instruments' band! If anyone is considering buying this album, do it and do it today!