5.0 out of 5 stars The best puzzle game that I've played
I've never been moved to write a review of a game before, but Keepsake was out of the ordinary.

Published on 25 Jun. 2006 by J. Webber

2.0 out of 5 stars Keepsake - the good and the bad
Having just finished Keepsake and having seen the mixed reviews here I thought that it needed some clarification, so here it is.

Keepsake is not a good game, but neither is it a woefully bad one. I'll explain...

The pros:-

Published on 23 Oct. 2008 by Nudge Saynomore

5.0 out of 5 stars The best puzzle game that I've played, 25 Jun. 2006
J. Webber (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keepsake (PC DVD) (Video Game)

It had a nice, non-violent, story line about the friendship between two girls, a boy who mistakenly attempts to boost his self worth and a father whose grief over the loss of his wife causes him to cause pain to the daughter who resembles her; it was a pity that it had rather a sad ending.

The artwork was of very high quality and quite beautiful, the animation was good too with the characters moving quite realistically and I must also praise the attention to detail, when a character picked something up they could be seen to be carrying it from that point on. It didn't have the moveable camera angle of some more sophisticated games, but lost nothing for that.

The puzzles were good and for the most part logical; there was also a hints system for the times that you get stuck. I started off rather well and got a fair way through the game without referring to the hints, but did eventually have to use the hints to solve some of the problems. The hints themselves are well prepared and start with an initial prod in the right direction, followed by a broad hint, followed by the full solution should you decide to give up trying to solve it; I resorted to this in one puzzle.

All in all this game kept me interested, exercised my brain without causing me to give up completely and by keeping me entertained for quite a few hours represented very good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly beautiful game, 30 Aug. 2007
Diana King (Effingham, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keepsake (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I cant believe the 2 ultra negative reviews of this game. I can only assume that the reviewers only like ugly games, where you go round mindlessly shooting at anything that moves!
If this what you are after, don't get this game, as there is a lot of dialogue. However if you want a game that is gorgeous to look at, with a compelling storyline,and good puzzles, then this is for you.
There is a patch you can download from the game's website which will provide you with a map, and prevent any freezing which might occur.
I agree that Mustavio's voice sounds like he's being strangled, but bear with it, as he is only in the 1st third of the game!
I was totally enchanted, and sorry to finish this game.

4.0 out of 5 stars A visually beautiful game, 29 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Keepsake (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I thoroughly enjoyed this game. The visuals are very beautiful. Most of the puzzles are slightly challenging and a couple I needed a hint for.
I resorted to drawing a plan of the Academy to avoid becoming lost but as a whole it is very absorbing.
One criticism - it ended rather abruptly but I find this happens quite a lot on this type of game.

2.0 out of 5 stars Keepsake - the good and the bad, 23 Oct. 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars

The pros:-

The puzzles on the whole are very nice little games. They even have a hint system built in in case you get stuck (which you almost definitely will on some of them as they can be quite obscure as to what you actually have to do). Other than that, they're very enjoyable.

The scenery is very pretty and it can be nice to just wonder around the building... at first (I'll get to that later).

If you pick up an item, a nice touch is that the item actually appears on your character and is actually carried (it doesn't just mysteriously vanish).

And the plot is a gentle tale of friendship (which you very rarely get in games so was refreshing) and has the moral messages of teamwork, friendship, believing in yourself and all the rest (great as a tale for children)

The cons:-

The characters and in particular the voice actors for some of the main characters are really annoying, especially Celeste's voice who seemed to have learnt acting from watching australian soaps. It actually got to the point where I was dreading the cut-scenes because of it.

The dialogue is unnecessarily long and mostly uninteresting and there is very little love you develop for any of the characters because of it.

As for the scenery, nice as it is, the game forces you to walk through it again and again as often and as far as possible in order to complete the puzzles. For instance there is one puzzle where the devices you need to use to work on the same puzzle are at opposite ends of the castle! I mean, why? the puzzle might have been fun otherwise.

The puzzles may be good, but there are too few of them with too much running around in between. Also, your character has the most annoying habit of jumping up and down and applauding herself every time you complete a puzzle.

Also, a minor thing, but one that irritated me is that you can't press escape to bring up the menu (you have to click the button in the bottom corner of the screen). The amount of times I pressed escape anyway are countless.

In conclusion:-

Some of these pros and cons could easily cause you to either love or hate the game, and that's why I think it's had such bi-polar reviews. Personally, I'm glad to have finished it so that I don't ever have to play it again. But then again, I was determined enough to finish it for the aspects that I did like.
If you don't mind the constant running around and can shut your ears to the dreadful voice-acting and quite like the idea of a non-violent tale of friendship, then this could be the game for you. If not and you think it may irritate you, then don't touch it with a barge pole, you're really not missing enough to make it worth the annoyance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 25 April 2006
This review is from: Keepsake (PC DVD) (Video Game)
One of the best games for ages. Nearly as good as Return to Mystery Island which I rated one of the best ever. Good story line, great graphics. Most puzzles are not to hard and if you can't do them there are hints. Well worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 18 Sept. 2008
E. E. Hughes (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keepsake (PC DVD) (Video Game)
This game is really good. The sprawling castle is beautiful, the story is engaging and the inventory is innovative.

A pad and pen are definitely required to play this game. The castle is quite large and I had to draw my own map so as to easily find my way around. Perhaps some people will find this a drawback, but I found that it added to the overall fun.

There are so many puzzles that make up this game. The ones in the first section of the game are difficult, but easy to complete without referring to the inbuilt hint system. The puzzles in the second half are harder, many of them really needing at least the first hint in order to complete them.

This brings me to the hint system, which I think is absolutely marvellous. The first hint given is usually the rules, as it were, of the puzzle you are trying to complete. For the puzzles in the first half of the game the rules are relatively easy to comprehend, but in the second half they can be a bit obscure and so the hint system is vital, even if it goes against your nature to refer to it. The hints given become more and more explicit and if you still have trouble with the puzzle you can opt for the game to complete it for you. I must admit to doing this on two occasions as the puzzles were very difficult even with all the hints. Without it I think I would have gone insane trying!!

I really enjoyed this game and would recommend it to any fan of point and click adventure games.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great game to keep you going, 10 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Keepsake (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I'd wanted this game for a while and finally bought it a few weeks ago. I found it to be a nice lengthy game, which draws you into the mystery and makes you want to find out what happened. Unlike some games where you just complete them because you feel you should finish what you've started.

You begin by having a small tutorial courtesy of one of the bit part characters in the game. Once that is completed you find yourself (as Lydia) in front of the academy doors, ready to start your new life in the school. Expecting to meet your best friend, Celeste by the entrance, you find the front of the academy deserted. Plus the doors are locked and there is nobody about to help you get inside. Following a small puzzle to get you inside, your next quest is to find your companion throughout the game, Zak. He (in the form of a wolf in the beginning) tells you a little about the school, and shares his story with you along the journey to find out what happened to all the people who should be in the school, but mysteriously disappeared before you rescued him.

There is an in game hint system, which you can use if you get stuck. The hints come in a few steps, each one expanding on the solution to the puzzles if you can't figure them out for yourself. If you still can't find the answer, there is the option to have the puzzle solved automatically (I'd recommend against that if at all possible as it means you don't get to find out what the answer was, you just jump straight to the cut scene where the puzzle is completed), which means there is no need to search for a walkthrough for this game. There's also the option to find out what you should be trying to do next if you are unsure what your next course of action is.

My only slight grumble about this game was that unlike some similar style games there was no map enabling you to jump straight to an area you wanted/needed to be in. It did make moving from place to place a bit tedious at times as that academy was like a rabbit warren and too easy to get lost in at times. But it was only a minor thing overall and didn't put me off completing the game.

The storyline was good and drew me in, plus the ending was.....(I won't spoil it for you)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great point and click adventure, 9 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Keepsake (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I've played dozens of point and click adventures over the years. The ones I like (Broken Sword, Gabriel Knight, Zork Grand Inquisitor...) have a good storyline, good and above all logical puzzles, and a "forward movement" (you don't get stuck because you didn't pick up some irrelevant object in the first scene, or have to revisit every location to talk to everyone and see what has changed .....).
This is a *good* adventure game. The puzzles are logical, taxing (but not insoluble) and fun, the story line is somewhere between OK and good, the graphics super. There is a hint system in the game which helps you keep moving forward without looking for a walkthrough. Amongst the less good points, the character moves rather slowly with long "walks" between locations, and the voices / accents of the characters set your teeth on edge (I play with the sound OFF!). Notwithstanding, I heartily recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable game, 5 April 2007
This review is from: Keepsake (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I was nearly put off by the awful squeaky voice of Mustavio but I'm glad I persevered as i found the game very enjoyable. It was visually attractive and the puzzles were interesting, I am a great fan of dragons so was pleased to see so many around. A good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good one, 7 April 2009
M. A. Adams "halhati" (coventry.uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keepsake (PC DVD) (Video Game)
start again.This game I really like as it is medium difficult to play. It only has eight save games though which caught me out. After going along happily, I got into a difficult part, saved the game and had to practically start again. My virtual legs are getting quite shapley as I run around this game. The scenery graphics are really great but the main character and wolf are a bit stiff.All in all a good buy.

Keepsake (PC DVD)
Keepsake (PC DVD) by Lighthouse Interactive (Windows XP)
Used & New from: £2.00