5.0 out of 5 stars guitar strings acoustic
Published on 10 Mar 2010 by Mr. N. P. Reeves

3.0 out of 5 stars O
Don't last as long as the fender Dura-Tone coated acoustic strings, but ok.
Published 2 months ago by David Kay

5.0 out of 5 stars guitar strings acoustic, 10 Mar 2010
I have been buying these strings for years they are light hardly ever break and they are a great sound. I have tried other makes of strings but they don't compare. Problem is with lighter strings the sound quality is usually not as good as harder ones but these are a good balance and a really good sound. A famous musician recommended them to me in a music store so who am I to argue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent balance and clarity, 10 Aug 2010
Martin Turner "Martin Turner" (Marlcliff, Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: D'Addario EJ16 Phosphor Bronze Light (.012-.053) Acoustic Guitar Strings (Electronics)
For conventional, non-coated strings, .012 Phosphor-Bronze D'Addarios have been my favourite for more than twenty years. You can also get them in 80-20 'bell tone', which is slightly brighter, but my experience was that these broke more quickly. In deciding which strings worked for me, I went through Martin, Ovation, Gibson, Fender, Guild and Earthwood (Ernie Ball). Aside from the question of tone, I found that the plain steel strings retained their tuning better than Gibsons, which have a tendency to go out of tune at the 12th fret, and that the wound strings last better than Earthwoods, which tended to get worn down by the frets more quickly. Martin, Ovation and Guild were all makes I continued to buy when I couldn't get D'Addarios, or couldn't afford them -- for many years they were the most expensive strings, although the price has dipped since the introduction of coated strings.

In addition to other advantages, D'Addarios are colour coded, which is not especially important when you first fit them, as you can easily gauge how heavy they are by squeezing them gently. When a string breaks, though, it makes it very easy to find the right string from the old strings you keep in your case (if you are wise -- old strings need no additional stretching and so can go straight back on the guitar and be played during the gig).

You should take all this with a huge pinch of salt, though -- the right string for you is the string that sounds right on your guitar with your style of playing. This was the main reason I went through all those makes of strings -- you need to keep trying them out until you find the ones which are just right.

If your main or sole concern is tone, then conventional strings of this kind are probably your best bet. If longevity, cost and consistency are important, you should also consider coated strings. D'Addario make EXP Coated Strings, but my personal preference goes to Elixirs, which I find (for me, on my guitar) give a better tone. Coated strings last about 3-4 times as long with good, live tone, although the tone is slightly duller (may be an advantage on some instruments) than conventional strings at their best.

Anyway -- five stars from me for these. They've kept me gigging for 20 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, rounded tone, 8 Oct 2012
What a steal these strings are! (Steal...steel...geddit?) The colour coding is a genius way of not getting the strings confused - as a blonde, ditzy stereotype, it can be mayhem!! I own a Hummingbird, and the bright tone worked beautifully with it.

Considering the cost, that quality of sound is absolutely superb!! The strings come looped together in one packet (hence the relief at the colour coded ends!) and I found no fault at all with the product. These are a great set of strings, quite suitable for the professional - of all the D'Addario offerings, this to me is the 5*. For fingerwork and barring, these did not cut into my fingers but still had that firmness. They are of course less thick than many other offerings, but for me lend themselves to picking and fingering in the higher frets. A wonderful buy, and a reliable brand.

A fabulous set of strings, what more can I say?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Strings, 17 Jan 2011
Wow these have completely transformed my electro acoustic guitar. Not only do these strings sound fantastic but they are relatively easy on the fingers and the wallet. Great stuff I will be using these in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars best of both words, 13 April 2010
stratfan (Cotswolds UK) - See all my reviews
I was nervous changing a set of 12's for 10's but shouldnt have been.
These are great sounding,stay in tune and you can even bend them a bit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Settle in quickly, 22 Oct 2011
Paul Magnussen (Campbell, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I've been using D'Addario strings regularly for a couple of decades, so I can't pretend now to be familiar with the competition. But I've stuck with them for the following reasons:

• They're extremely reliable — I can't remember the last time I had a dud string.
• Their sound is excellent and they last a long time.
• They settle in extremely quickly (this is a biggie for a professional musician).
• They have eco-friendly packaging.

I use J16s on my folk guitar, which is a Taylor 510. In standard tuning they're fine; but when I drop the bass string to D (which I do a lot), it tends to go sharp when fretted. So I replace this set's .053 with a .056. Were I playing in DADGAD all the time (which I feel more and more inclined to do), I would use Pierre Bensusan's stringing, which is (according to his first video) .056, .042, .032, .023, .017 & .013.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Strings, 1 Aug 2010
Trey're as good as they get. At this price just change your strings more often for better guitar playing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Strings., 25 Jun 2009
J. Clarke "Alright Sally" (England) - See all my reviews
I changed my acoustics strings as soon as these came through the post, and i was pleasantly surprised at the sound. It was clear that i had left my old strings in far-too-long. These strings have such a great sound, almost refreshing, and making your acoustic guitar sound brand new with a fuller, more grand tune.

- Easy to string.
- Easy code system.
- Good price.
- Great sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars gr8 strings. thick as., 29 Mar 2013
had these strings put on my guitar and it hasn't sounded so good since back in '87 when i played a sorry tune in my lonesome pick-up truck to mark the death of my dearest dog Larry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prompt service, 20 Nov 2011
The strings arrived 2 days after my order , I have put a set on my Seagull Q 1 and they sound great . my guitar has that lovely ring to it again . Can recommend seller , no problem . Great service