5.0 out of 5 stars It rocks... and rules!
Don't be fooled by the (almost) cute and cuddly looking creatures on the front cover... this is not for the kiddies.

Published on 21 Oct 2006 by Valgaav

3.0 out of 5 stars Rock & Rules?

Published on 30 April 2009 by Ms. W. D. Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars It rocks... and rules!, 21 Oct 2006
This review is from: Rock And Rule (2 Disc Collector's Edition) [1982] [DVD] (DVD)

Set in the post-apocalyptic future, humans have been wiped out and highly evolved forms of cats, rats and dogs have taken over. This isn't necessary for the storyline, indeed the characters could well have been human, but considering this was the first full length animated feature to come out of Canada, you can give the animators some credit for admitting "animals are easier to animate then humans". Mok, an aging rock star is perturbed by the fact that his last concert wasn't full up. To get his revenge on the general public, he plans to raise a beast from another dimension, but he needs one thing, a very special voice.

Enter out protagonists Omar and Angel. Well to give away more might be considered spoiling the story, but let me assure you, whether or not the storyline sounds far fetched and a little flawed... well... it is, but that doesn't stop this film being totally enjoyable!

Firstly the animation is very fluid. The characters themselves are all a joy to watch, Angel as a strong female lead and Omar as a bit of an anti-hero, but you can't help but like him. It's the villain, Mok, however, who steals the show, being one of the most charismatic cartoon characters I have ever had the joy of watching. No surprise considering he was modelled off such personalities as Mick Jagger, Iggy Pop and Bowie. His personality is quite simply spot-on.

The feel of the film is much darker then most animated features, with constant storm clouds looming in the air and buildings with an industrial feel to them. Think Final Fantasy VII if you can.

As for the soundtrack, it's superb! We have Debbie Harry, Lou Reed, Cheap Trick, Iggy Pop and Earth, Wind and Fire each contributing their own song (or songs) for different characters as well as a wonderfully atmospheric score.

But who exactly this film is aimed at...? Being, primarily a film about rock and roll it's understandable that there are sometimes implications of drug use (and other times it's down right obvious), suggestive situations as well as a couple of softer swear words. Though Rock and Rule perhaps balances dangerously between being aimed kids and adults, I certainly wouldn't show this to any child.

This two disc set includes the feature film, commentary, "The Devil and Daniel Mouse" (the cartoon on which this was based), making of, character sketches and quite a bit more! Definitely value for money!

Here I come to a stop, because to me the joy of watching this film is beyond words. Just buy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Rock & Rules?, 30 April 2009
Ms. W. D. Jackson "dyani" (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
Rock And Rule (2 Disc Collector's Edition) [1982] [DVD]

I first saw this animation when I was about 12 back in the 80s on a dodgy copied VHS. My sister and I both really wanted to see it again as it made an impression on us both, so thanks to amazon I found a copy! It's not made the impression I once remembered (actually a wee bit silly in places), but clever 'real' animation and I love the character of Mok - very cool. Cult classic I'd say.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rockin' Cartoon adventures at their best!, 21 Nov 2008
I bought this at random as I'd just started getting into Anime quite heavily and wanted to look at some American examples. I was overjoyed with this, not as technical as the Japanese examples but really well done non-the-less. The characters are a little kiddie but their is a definite adult feel to the film and the bad guys are really well though out. It's retailing about 4 at the minute and I think it's well worth the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't worth it, 9 Jan 2012
I bought this copy of Rock and Rule waiting for the Canadian movie, but only in the U.S. edition comes with it. So, if you like Rock and Rule only the american version, it's nice, but I still prefer the true Rock and Rule Special Edition of Unearthed Films.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give yourself an 80's post Apocalyptic rock treat, 30 Aug 2011
N. Lever - See all my reviews
First things first I saw this a kid when my dad brought it back from the video shop, he thought that as it was a cartoon it was for kids. Watching it now it's really not. Nelvana made Ewoks and Care Bears but that's where the associations end. This is firmly in the laps of grown ups.
So, far into the future, dogs, cats and rats evolved and took the place of man. What we find is a very Bladerunner-esque backdrop to a story of our 2 heroes, both trying to make their rock band a success. The antithesis is Mok, the worlds biggest super rocker (meld of Bowie/Jagger/Iggy) and he's looking for a special voice. He is, by far, my favourite animated villain ever.
The film as stated by other reviewers is raw in terms of animation but I think this works in it's favour, watching the making makes you realise that the animators put a lot of passion into this film. What makes this film really exceptional is the music. Earth Wind & Fire, Cheap Trick, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed and Debbie Harry invested artistically by writing specifically for the film.
The Finale song alone is phenomenal. If you like good music, animation, and a good story then watch it.

4.0 out of 5 stars My review, 4 Sep 2010
The film is set in a post-apocalyptic populated by mouse-peaple, involves a rock star kidnapping a girl so he can free a demom and the girls friends trying to save her. The film does not take it's self seriously and is funny because of it, but the jokes can be hit or miss. It's well made but not the best best out there. I would not call it a musical because the songs last about a minute and are more to set atmosphere.

4.99