Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 April 2009
This set of 4 CDs is definitely a "no regrets" set. Granted there is some stuff here that I won't be playing often.. but there's other stuff that merits wide dissemination. As for the age of the material, the Happidrome stuff has dated badly .. but I'll not complain, it deserves airing and the only other place you'll find a lot of this is on a BBC LP I bought in the mid '80s. There is stuff that exists elsewhere in subtly different versions, and stuff that is all too hard to come by in the original (if you can still play 78's).
The Bandwaggon material is good, the Max Miller was unfamiliar and scurrilously funny even now. I've seen some of this stuff on the "Best Of British Comedy" series from Signature but it is excellently presented here. I was so impressed with this and the 4 disc Music Hall set I got from JSP that I checked out the label.... they are mainly jazz and blues! Get this disc set to encourage them to do more historical, hysterical comedy, because they do a darn good job of it.