5.0 out of 5 stars Check this out.........., 21 April 2006
This review is from: Second Guessing (Audio CD)
I just returned from a business trip and opened a package from Amazon with this CD in it. I'd actually forgotten I'd ordered it as it took a few weeks to arrive.

From the opening track, Hiway, I was blown away. I've not written a review for Amazon before but I felt compelled to this time. It's a full-on country-rock album with a psychedelic twist. It's loud, the songs are long, but it's melodic too. It's a rougher, rawer sound compared to the sometimes saccharine Magic Numbers (an album that I quite liked).

I won't attempt to describe it anymore, suffice to say that I buy about 5-10 CD's every month and this is the best album I've heard so far this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit more detail, 10 Aug 2009
This review is from: Second Guessing (Audio CD)
Although I agree with much of what the previous reviewer writes, it might be worth adding a bit more detail. The best way to describe my response to this latest CD from Oakley Hall is go straight to the last track "Cod'ine". This sounds like a marriage of Quicksilver Messenger Service (who recorded a fantastic version of the same song) and the second incarnation of Fairport Convention. In short, this is a sample of music by a now tried and tested band that have much in common with some of the great bands of one of the most productive eras of modern musical cross-over (between those traditional vernacular forms of music lumped together as `folk music' - including the string band music and mountain music that became The Blues - early rock and roll, jazz, etc that produced bands like the Grateful Dead). In short, this is a band who can draw on and blend a wide range of music and make something their own out of it. Enjoy.

Second Guessing
Second Guessing by Oakley Hall (Audio CD - 2005)