4.0 out of 5 stars Handy gadget, but
When i comes to finding ferrous metals - easy job, pretty accurate.

Non ferrous- if it`s fairly large (pipework) finds it quite well, non live wires- not really good. Live wires detects from miles, but when used accordingly to manual, locates these quite accurate.

Studs - I haven`t tried it yet.

For what I need it is a very good tool, at...
Published on 10 Sep 2010 by Tom

3.0 out of 5 stars A professional-looking device. But that's about it.
Published on 12 Sep 2010 by Del

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A professional-looking device. But that's about it., 12 Sep 2010
Del (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch PDO Multi Digital Detector (DIY & Tools)
I bought this device to help me find wooden joists behind plasterboard walls. After reading the manual, and using the Zoom button for wood detection, I have to say that the detector left me less confident than before (when I used to knock and listen for the hollow sound on the wall's surface). So, if you, like me, wanted this device for assisting with drilling into joists behind plasterboard, it's of no benefit as it's completely inaccurate in this regard. I did consider returning it to the good folks at Amazon, but it's saving grace was that it IS good at detecting wires behind the surface. It's heavy on the battery and gives only a few hours of use, so it's advisable to have a spare/rechargeable battery handy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy gadget, but, 10 Sep 2010
This review is from: Bosch PDO Multi Digital Detector (DIY & Tools)
When i comes to finding ferrous metals - easy job, pretty accurate.

Studs - I haven`t tried it yet.

For what I need it is a very good tool, at least saves me from an electrocution :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive but functional, 7 April 2011
This review is from: Bosch PDO Multi Digital Detector (DIY & Tools)
The walls of your new home are a minefield of wires and pipes seemingly arranged by a devious plot designed to frustrate every intended shelf or wall-hanging. What were they thinking when they chased out that diagonal route across the living room wall ?

This Bosch device can help you navigate this safely but you will need to become accustomed to interpreting the bar-graph display, rather than relying solely on the binary red/green light and buzzer. This is because, as other reviewers have mentioned, it is very sensitive and you can find it can be complaining about metal lathing under the plaster or harmless nails in battens a few centimetres away from the supposed sweet-spot.

If you can, try getting a feel for it using controlled conditions - e.g. with some electric cable or copper pipe behind a handy piece of plasterboard or MDF. Become familiar with its output and limitations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bosch PDO Detector, 7 Jun 2010
This review is from: Bosch PDO Multi Digital Detector (DIY & Tools)
Generally the product is OK with regards to detection of live wires and metal pipes.

In modern houses however you will find the use of plasterboard and wooden frame partitions. This was the reason for buying ie to use in a recently built house in order to fix items to the wall and fix a security light to the outside etc. It seems hit and miss when trying to detect wood batons and it certainly doesn't detect plastic central heating piping that is now common in modern homes.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit expensive for what it does, 22 Dec 2009
Jacky P. (Versailles, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch PDO Multi Digital Detector (DIY & Tools)
The tool is very sensitive to electric fields everywhere around. For instance, it will detect electricity whenever I touch a wire with my hands, or even when there are extensions lying around. The result is also dependent on the position of the instrument, and the reading for one point is often different if I come from the left or for the right (I am again talking about electric field readings). The metal sensing part is also difficult to use, because I don't understand what it measures. I can sometimes have >3cm of plaster, and the reading is saturated. In conclusion, this is a tool worth having, because it gives a rough idea of what dangers lie within the wall, **but** you can't really follow its readings "à la lettre" because there are only few places where you could drill.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks the part but completely worthless., 18 Mar 2012
Colin J. Stamp (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch PDO Multi Digital Detector (DIY & Tools)
Perhaps I got a bad one, but this thing just didn't work:-

It couldn't find the joists in my ceiling through 12mm of plasterboard.
It couldn't find the studs in my one-and-only stud wall even though I know exactly where they all are.
It randomly detected mains voltage even where there were known to be no cables nearby, yet sometimes failed to detect mains voltage when it was right on top of a known chase with the switched-on cable just 10mm or so below the surface.
It can just about detect metal, but even then it tells me everything is non-ferrous - even my steel radiators.

I've read the manual and I'm definitely doing everything right. Prior to buying this I respected Bosch products. This is such a disappointment. At least it allowed me to try out the Amazon returns process, which turned out to be very quick and painless. I've now gone back to my 20 year old el-cheapo stud finder and totally forgiven it for flattening its battery every time I forget to switch it off.

So, a big thumbs-up to Amazon, but Bosch, oh Bosch, how you have lost your way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, 23 Jan 2011
Simon Ellwood (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch PDO Multi Digital Detector (DIY & Tools)
I have had this product a few weeks and I am very pleased with it. It seems very sturdy and does what it claims. It has had much use finding beams in the ceiling.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am glad I bought this product, 30 Nov 2010
This review is from: Bosch PDO Multi Digital Detector (DIY & Tools)
I bought this product before I started working on my plasterboard wall. I had to drill cca 20 holes into a concrete wall full of iron bars and electrical wires. After measurements all the holes were made smoothly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bosch detector, 2 July 2011
This review is from: Bosch PDO Multi Digital Detector (DIY & Tools)
After a couple of weeks use, this seems an excellent piece of kit. Like any device of this sort, it is not completely straightforward and you have to use some intelligence to interpret the display. So far, I've used it to trace 240V cables buried in the plaster, which worked well, and 10mm central heating pipes below flooring grade chipboard, which was a little more challenging. It was also good at indentifying the steel reinforcement in plaster in window openings and very positive in identifying screws fixing a trapdoor through the carpet.

Other reviews have mentioned it is over-sensitive to electric fields. I have found this when wearing rubber-soled shoes on insulating floors - presumably because I have been picking up voltages by capacitative coupling from surrounding wires and it is unable to tell the difference between a an electrified wire and an earthed hand and an electrified hand and an earthed wall.

The solution to this problem is easy - I moisten the hand in which I am not holding the detector and and put the palm flat on the pastered wall. This earths my body and, at least so far, has eliminated spurious readings.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite possible dangerous, 5 Nov 2009
This review is from: Bosch PDO Multi Digital Detector (DIY & Tools)
Got this one as it was a bit more expensive than most and had hopes that it would give better results. It doesn't. So many false positives and more dangerously false negatives make this frankly useless. All it really tells you is that your house has wires in somewhere! Never managed to get it to locate any wooden studs even when I knew where they were.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›