on 9 May 2011
I had never seen this one before as it was
X rated while I was young. Enjoyed Brando's performance - a big plus being
Lee Marvin's unexpected appearance!
on 2 September 2011
This is a fantastic biker film with loads of grit and anger, loads of bikes. A real classic movie. Even the hardest biker can go all mushy over a girl.
on 1 December 2012
Vroom Vroom!!!
The reason lots of dudes are bikers!
Triumph did not fancy letting their bikes be used for this movie!
Glad they did!
on 4 July 2013
Great DVD no problems so far or errors a timeless classic as described overall very happy with this classic DVD.
on 28 August 2014
I always wanted to see this film from when I was a teenager. Love Marlon Brando. I enjoyed watching it.
on 22 April 2013
wanted to watch the film again, as I loved it when I was younger. enjoyed watching it again and again
on 13 May 2009
This was the start of rebellion in the fifties.Alongside James Deans Rebel without a cause,The Wild One is the movie to watch.Brando is the very best teenage rebel.
What are you rebelling against,Johnny?Brando replies What have you got?
Lee Marvin is a little too old as a biker,but his charisma gets him through it as one of the biker gang called The Beatles.
Classic biker movie of all time.
on 13 September 2014
Oh well, what can I say its Brando at his youthful best
on 4 July 2004
1st July 2004 - Marlon Brando. I was shocked when I heard the news. He wasn't only one of the finest actors of his generation, but he was also my favourite actor too. I knew the day would come, because he'd cheated death for so long. His weight problems and health scares since the mid-1970's just consumed the public's view of the Marlon Brando of recent years and distracted many people of my generation and younger from exploring the greater things about him. I was one of those who was lucky to see past the distraction and realise he was a great actor, before the world's media promptly remind everyone after his death.
He shunned convention and created personalities of such extraordinary individualism. He wasn't just a star or actor, but an intricately complex being, who let us take tiny glimpses of his soul, while never revealing himself fully.
Favourite films ? I know that I watched "The Wild One" like a junkie as a teenager and then "On the Waterfront" and in fact all of those early films of his from the 1950's. "The Wild One" combined my favourite actor with the definitive images of a leather motorbiker and once that has been absorbed into the mind of a fan like me, it was hard to shake it lose. I also admit I really wouldn't have minded looking like him, but how many men have felt the same way ? His defined features, his blunt nose, his dark eyes and charismatic smile and just a cool demeanour that followed him.The films weren't watched in isolation though (As they would've been when they originally came out), because I was reading every book I could get my hands on about him - he really started my pastime of reading biographies and autobiographies.
Marlon Brando was a flawed human being and he had many problems with his personality and psyche that remain inexcusable, but he still remained "Human" - you could take his good stuff as well as his bad. He made mistakes, some of which destroyed lives, but knowing the life that he'd led, the way he grew up and what he had to deal with, his actions came as no surprise. I also focused on his ability to gain success at the beginning when all seemed against him, how he managed to keep surviving as an out of work actor after the Second World War. His bohemian lifestyle infused the subtext of the characters he portrayed on the stage. That's right, he was a stage actor before Hollywood claimed his image as it's own.
His blunt honesty and ability to survive was a quality I found appealing. Yes, his macho bravado was obvious, but I knew that was just for show. Acting wasn't an issue with him. Life had bigger challenges for him. I would've loved to have met him.
He fathered children legitimately and illegitimately non-stop and in a casual fashion since the 1950's and was still creating babies with women when he's turned "old and grey", but he loved his children and his attitude towards love and relationships was hippy-like and unconventional and that was just the way it suited him. Society and the rules and taboos of modern day culture were ignored by him in a refreshing and daring way. He fell in love as easily as he headed to the law courts, but at least he fell in love ! It's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.
He strove to also combat the injustices caused against people of different races and his role with civil rights in the 1960's and beyond was obvious and should've be praised !
I'm terribly saddened by his death and I'll miss him, simply because I knew he existed at a time when I was around and I might've met him one day. I'm not sure what I would've said to him though and how can I relate to him when he wouldn't been able to relate to me. The world has lost a great actor and I've lost a huge influence on my life, a hero and an idol. I can only miss him as a fan and I know his family and even his enemies will miss him more.
You can't replace a person like Marlon Brando, but thank goodness books and films managed to capture an essence of him that should be preserved for many years to come.
Marlon ashes are to be scattered over his island home of Tetiaroa near Tahiti and I can't think of a more fitting way for him to be remembered in an area he loved and where his spirit is not only happy, but far removed from the film world, he had inspired and stunned.
on 10 March 2016
A brilliant piece of cinema... Brando at his best