5.0 out of 5 stars American with Good Taste
Published on 1 July 2005 by Tony

3.0 out of 5 stars "Blisteringly Funny"? Umm, no.
I think anyone in their right mind would be hard-pressed to call this series a comedy. There are a few light moments here and there, but it's hardly funny, much less "blisteringly funny" as the DVD synopsis touts. As a drama, the only engaging storyline is the one teenage son's coming-out story. I'm surprised that after watching the full series 1, I really couldn't...
Published on 25 April 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars American with Good Taste, 1 July 2005
Tony (Kentucky, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shameless: Series 1 [2004] (DVD)
I noticed that the only negative reviews of Shameless were from Americans and I felt the need to disagree with my countrymen. I saw this on BBC America and instantly fell for this program. I'm a very hard sell when it comes to the writing on television but Shameless is definitely in my top 10. I can't say enough about the show, I really, really enjoy it. The characters are very real and the plots are original.
So, in case any BBC America watchers stumble across this review, please give Shameless a chance: funny, honest, brilliant. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!!!, 13 Mar 2005
This review is from: Shameless: Series 1 [2004] (DVD)
I watched the series on TV, and loved it so much I had to buy it on DVD. At first I was reluctant to as I thought I'd only watch it once and then I'd forget about it, making it a waste of money. I got it and watched it, and I want to watch it over and over again. I love this programme, I don't think there's ever been anything as good as it before. You can really connect with the characters, as they're incredibally "three dimensional." It makes you laugh, but it can also make you cry. Don't be put off by the language and the sex, see past that and you'll realise that you're watching probably the best TV programme to come out of Britain in years. I lent it to a friend, and when he had it I was desperate for it back. I love this show, its £15 well spent. I can't wait for the second series to come out on DVD, I'll buy that as soon as it comes out. Buy this DVD and your life will be complete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shamless 10/10, 6 April 2005
Peter (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shameless: Series 1 [2004] (DVD)
Shameless is a fantantic drama about an 'over the top' family living in manchester and is writin by Paul Abbot. The Father is a drunk, the mother left years ago and the eldest sister is having to look after her younger siblings and there is also massive storyline about one of the younger siblings, Ian, being gay and going out with an older & married man. Then his brother found but not only that the wife of Ian's boyfriend also finds out. The storylines are great and keeps you on the edge of your seats. There was a few times where I nearly wet myself watching it! Please buy the DVD you'll love every minute infact make that every second of it. And I say well done to the cast & crew for making it such an excellent tv show. I'm begging you please buy the DVD it's well worth the money and you'll get a hell load of enjoyment watching, believe me!
10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars unmissable, 8 Jan 2005
This review is from: Shameless: Series 1 [2004] (DVD)
This is the one exception to that 'time flies when you're having fun' rule. I enjoyed every minute of this dvd, and after each show i felt a warm satisfied feeling, like i had really been watching it for an hour, that could only possibly come from something very cleverly devised. The characters are incredibly well written, in my opinion, and as such seem very lifelike.
7 Hours of excellent TV time, that i plan to watch again sometime very soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars British drama at its best, 3 Mar 2005
This review is from: Shameless: Series 1 [2004] (DVD)
Once again, as with the exquisite 'Spaced', Channel Four has rattled off another dose of supreme comedy; what a marked difference there is between this series and the anodyne American stuff we are given. The characters here are completely accessible to us, we really care about them; their problems are real, which makes the humour poignant, but never malicious or insincere. Absolutely *fantastic* - go and buy this now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shameless - You bet!!, 10 Jan 2005
A. Arnold (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shameless: Series 1 [2004] (DVD)
With nothing else to watch I sat and viewed the first of the second series and immediately addicted. For this reason I had to but this.
It is well written, good acting and everything you need in a good drama. When done well the UK had blow away some American dramas and this is one that I have already strongly recommended to friends and family.
Don't miss out - top notch stuff!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show., 15 Feb 2005
andy (manchester, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shameless: Series 1 [2004] (DVD)
What a fantastic show this is, if you have not wathced it then you are missing out completely and you should buy this DVD right now.
It is well worth your money as you are getting 7 episodes each 55 minutes long and you are also getting 20 mins of extras, Meet Paul Abbot & Meet the cast and crew both watchable mini-documentarys.
On to the episodes, the quality of them gets better with every one you watch. At the start of the 1st episode you are introduced to all of the chracters by Frank Gallagher in a overlylong opening sequence, this is included at the start fo evry episode though not quite as long as the first one. After watching all 7 episodes you will probably be able to recite the words spoken br Frank Gallagher.
The episodes seem to get more and more dramtic with each on episode one starts off with a boy meets girl but soon the drama really starts, i won't give away anything but there are some great episodes and surprises along the way.
It is no wonder this comedy/drama has become so popular, it is funny at times has some great storylines and has characters that you can fall in love. There really is something for everyone in this show.
A must-have for any self-respecting comedy DVD collecter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shameless_Excellent!!, 25 April 2004
This review is from: Shameless: Series 1 [2004] (DVD)
Absolutely excellent drama series, was hooked from the first episode. Assomeone from Manchester myself where the programme was set i could relateto this brilliant drama and loved every mintue of it. Cant wait for Series2! currently being filmed as this is being typed. From my (possibly biasedopinion!) best thing thats come out of Manchester in a while, almost on aparr with Queer As Folk. Well worth the money and would advise anyone topurchase it who loves a good bit of gritty drama, with plenty of mixedemotions throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for this !!!, 28 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Shameless: Series 1 [2004] (DVD)
Brilliant series that was shown on Channel 4 earlier this year. Missed the odd one when it was shown so looking forward to catching up with them.
At first you think it's going to be a one-dimensional stab at some colourful characters living in Manchester, but what emerges is a superbly made TV programme that is both hilarious and moving in equal measures.
Superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars This will so grow on you, 5 Jan 2006
This review is from: Shameless: Series 1 [2004] (DVD)
If you don't like bad language or adult references to sex or drugs I can pretty much guarantee this DVD won't be for you.
My partner was originally put off by the sheer grottiness of the people and the settings but is now a firm fan too. (We both work on inner city estates). Having said that, I was into it from the word go. OK it is over the top, but the writing is brilliant. The ear for dialogue is spot on. The timing is really sharp. It is so refreshing to see something that is this funny but remains believable despite the exaggerations that shoot throught the whole thing.
What's also good is seeing TV where characters who would otherwise just be poked fun at and labelled hopeless victims actually dealing and getting on with with each other and making headway with reallife problems. You get to like the characters even though if you bumped into them on the tube you'd think twice about staying in the same carriage because some of them look so dog rough.
It's refreshing to see the characters develop too. This is intelligent drama which offers so much more than the current rash of endless old catchphrases mascarading as comedy in easily digested sketchlets.
Call me old fashioned but something that makes you laugh, gets you thinking and leaves saying aah and occasionally almost weepy has got to be a good use of fifteen quid any day.

Shameless - Series 1 [DVD] [2004]
Shameless - Series 1 [DVD] [2004] by Mark Mylod (DVD - 2006)