5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, sepia toned nostalgia for any age...
Ask most fans of one of my favourite books, "Wind In The Willows" what the most faithful adaptation is and they'll almost always say this one. Cosgrove Hall have it all down to a tee in the feature film and in these select episodes from the five series divided up into four seperate discs - Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.

David Jason is brilliant as the...
Published on 22 July 2007 by Alex A.C.M

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful but not complete!
Published on 30 Jun 2006 by DanielFJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, sepia toned nostalgia for any age..., 22 July 2007
Alex A.C.M (Chelmsford, Essex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Wind In The Willows The Four Seasons (Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter) : 4 Disc Set [DVD] (DVD)

David Jason is brilliant as the pompous and camp Mr Toad, as is Peter Sallis as fiery Mr Rat, Richard Pearson as the shy and retiring Mr Mole, and the late Michael Hordern (of Paddington fame) as the wise old Mr Badger. My particularly favourite episode is the "Yuletide Entertainment" on the Winter disc - you won't be able to stop laughing at Mr Toad swallowing his moustache before going on stage I can tell you. A must buy for anyone, no matter what your age!

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful but not complete!, 30 Jun 2006
I bought this collection, thinking it was the complete series. But it is not. It is 4 DVD disks, with 3 episodes on each DVD. Compiled into a "4 seasons" series. Now this is to be taken literally! It is not 4 seasons of the series (like for example "The Simpsons Season 1, 2, 3, 4 etc). It is a compilation of episodes put into the themes "Spring" (DVD 1), "Summer" (DVD 2), "Autumn" (DVD 3) and "Winter" (DVD 4). So there are a few episodes I remember, which were missing. I did not find the episode where Toad impersonates a ghost, which I remember to be rather amusing.

Therefore I give this collection 3 stars. Would have been 5 stars had it been the full and complete series. So the 3 stars has nothing to do with the quality of the episodes (they are wonderful as I remember them). Only the nature in which they have been selected in a sort of "greatest hits".

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the original, 5 Oct 2008
I was given this set as a present last Christmas as our old video tapes were so badly worn (Autumn Antics and Winter Tales are required viewing every year in our house). However, I was very disappointed to discover these episodes have been edited. In particular, has anyone else noticed that the choir singing Dulce Domum at the end of the concert in Yuletide Entertainment has completely disappeared. Sadly, I let my old VHS tape go to a charity shop so if I want the original full version I will now have to try and find a secondhand copy. I do wish people would leave well alone when transferring from video to DVD format. Some of us have good memories!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Delightful!!!, 2 Aug 2006
M. H. Ayres "221b" (UK) - See all my reviews
I've been waiting for the Four Seasons to be released on DVD for YEARS! I had them on VHS but lost them in a house fire, so was overjoyed that they've been finally re-released on DVD.

These tales are an absolute delight whether you are four years old or 104. The quality of the animation by Cosgrove Hall is impeccable - the little details are enchanting and warrant several viewings - Toad's outfits, the little countryside details and the backgrounds in all the friends' homes from Ratty's Riverside clap-board house to Mole and Badger's cosy retreats and of course, the magnificent Toad Hall itself.

The quality of the voice-overs also deserves a mention here, with David Jason as a superbly pompous Toad, Peter Sallis's steady and reassuring Rat, Richard Pearson's timid yet joyful Mole and Sir Michael Hordern's cantankerous yet wise old Badger. There's lots of humour and pathos played out by these magnificent actors, and one gets a sensation also that the animators really enjoyed lavishing the care and attention on the minutiae that adds both to the humour and overall quality. In my opinion, this series of tales, continued in others (look out for a Tale of Two Toads and Mole's Christmas among others) is by far the superior of all the different animated versions of the Wind in The Willows and I strongly urge you to buy it - you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Wonderful childhood!, 2 May 2006
J. V. Watson "Learned Ones!" (London,UK) - See all my reviews
These episodes/series's of the Thames Valley (later bought by BBC) productions brought me and my extended family great joy during our respective childhoods! The series's are split up into 4 'Seasons' Winter, Autumn etc! David Jason from Only Fools and Horses does the voice for Toad and is excellent, the other charachters voices are also extremely good!

This show is especially good for children but can be watched by nearly anyone (anyone who can laugh), i reckon children under 6 will find it more difficult and perhaps a little scary (see Toad's impersonation of a Ghost in the Halloween episode!). Particulary funny episodes include the 'Winter Sports' and the 'Summer' episodes! This is a must-see, must-buy for the whole family! It was one of my fondest shows of childhood!

Yours, James AF Watson, JV's Son!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wind in the Willows- The Four Seasons (DVD), 11 Jan 2012
I had been searching for a long time for this classic and originally wanted to purchase the full and complete set but couldn't afford it so settled for the Four Seasons Collection and was not a bit disappointed.This is a must buy if you love Toady and his friends. I was hoping for a great repeat experience as this original TV series was watched by my young children and myself every day for many weeks in New Zealand years ago and I have loved being transported back to my favourite TV experience once again. My children (now grown up) have never forgotten it and loved watching it again as much as I did- they commented on its multi messages and humour and our 8 year old grandson loved it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood revisited, 10 Dec 2006
Mr. N. J. Bevis "BEV_RED_HOT_B" (Suffolk , Eng) - See all my reviews
A massive fan of the wind in the willows when i was a lot younger. Watching it the first time round when i was about 10years old, it was magical then and it is magical now. I simply love these old shows that simply have a wonderfull tale of life about them. Reminds me of times when things seemed less troubled than now and the great thing is that they are all simply perfect. I love this 4 seasons and i cant recommend it enough. Relive some memories and enjoy yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Animated version of Wind in the Willows, 23 April 2014
John Newman (King's Lynn, Norfolk) - See all my reviews
Somewhat dated compared to what can be done nowadays but still watchable with star names doing the voice overs. 1

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD, 13 Mar 2014
What a wonderful lot of viewing I have purchased this for my great niece's and nephew's to view unfortunately there Auntie has beat them to it, well worth the money to keep them quiet for a little while.

Mrs G.M.Webster

5.0 out of 5 stars Quintessentially English, 21 Jan 2014
Charming and wonderfully animated tales featuring a great cast of voices. All the episodes really are labours of love.
One drawback is that beauty of Kenneth Grahame's language doesn't find its way into the episodes. However, the spirit of the Wind in the Willows is patently there with lovely touches of warmth and humour.