5.0 out of 5 stars A Totally Unexpected Suprise
Placebo have never been a group to push boundaries, their songs have always been simple, moving ballads or progressive rock numbers. But they do it with such charisma that they instantly become recognisable, and with the brooding vocals of Brian Molko, they also possess one of the best rock singers of these modern times.
I never really knew about this new Placebo...
Published on 13 Mar 2006 by Chris C

2.0 out of 5 stars Typical placebo album
Which is to say, 4 good songs and a lot of filler. Same old same old, ever since Black Market Music.
Published on 26 Dec 2007 by Alicia Simpson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Totally Unexpected Suprise, 13 Mar 2006
This review is from: Meds (Audio CD)
I never really knew about this new Placebo record untill about a week ago. What sealed the deal as far as getting it this was seeing them perform some songs of the album on a late night Channel 4 show. I purchased the single Because I Want You prior to buying the album to get a taster of what was in store and I gradually got more anxious to hear it.
Well after listening to Meds several times today, I find this album to be more consistently good than its predecessor 'Sleeping With Ghosts'. The album has a more rockier sound to it and shows the band going back to the roots of their debut. This is also possibly their shortest album to date (which ain't bad considering closing songs like Peeping Tom from Black Market Music lasted over ten minutes and there was a lot of silence).
Lyrically, Molko is no longer dealing with prescription drugs or confused sexuality, instead he shows a maturity in his writing focusing on topics that are as he states 'less gimmicky'. He still manages to make them sound good enough that you could sing along to them, particularly on Infra-Red or Because I Want You.
Musically, this is possibly the most touching album they have made in recent memory. The group seem tighter than ever, which causes them to make emotionally drove songs like Pierrot The Clown or Song To Say Goodbye. Michael Stipe of R.E.M. fame duets on the haunting Broken Promise, which delivers the quiet/loud formula in a twisted way. That song along with In The Cold Light Of Morning are chilling enough to be put on the next proper horror movie.
Overall I am utterly flabbergasted at this album. Its definately a great record and a great return from Placebo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Placebo - MEDS, 15 Sep 2006
J. DELLER (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meds (Audio CD)
An absolutely awesome album which again covers a whole new range of Placebo experimentations but at the same time staying "timelessly" Placebo. The albums shocked me with a range of new material from Placebo such as "Space Monkey" which on first review sounds like a random pop enduced track but actually proves to be one of the most emotional and shocking track on the whole album. Songs like "Infra Red" remind everybody exactly what Placebo are about and what they stand up for. "Because I want you" is the all out rock track with a massive hint of restrictment to it - providing an odd mix to it - I was in the audience for the video and can verify a live version with a slightly basser line to it would prove much more effective song.

Overall one of Placebo most experimental and shocking album to date. They have truely stepped away from the medicine cabinet lyrics and have produced a much more choppy, rock and less professional electronic album. Its truely the basis of Placebo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back!, 1 April 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Meds (Audio CD)
Some reviews are heralding this album as being on a par with the debut, others are citing it as distinctly average - it's neither. Like Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque and Nirvana's Nevermind, the first album ''Placebo'' was always going to be unlikely to be surpassed, however this comes close. There are one or two tracks you could take or leave, but tracks like 'Drag', 'Because I Want You', 'Song To Say Goodbye' and the utterly sublime 'Follow The Cops Back Home' stand up to anything on their debut and make this album a worthwhile purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars unexpected return to form! though probably the end....., 4 Mar 2006
This review is from: Meds (Audio CD)
After the relative letdown of 'sleeping with ghosts' (despite its obvious highlights) I am absolutely amazed that a) Placebo have even made another record and b) how wonderful it has turned out to be. without talking about individual songs, I'd have to say that the biggest difference (and one that may well prolong thier appeal in the uk) is the change in production. This is one of the richest albums I have EVER heard. Yes ever. For instance.........I never thought I'd hear a Placebo song that sounded like Danny Elfman! (see 'in the cold light of morning') and it is for this reason that I think that, while it is probably their swansong album (multiple lyrical references to the 'end' cant be overlooked) it is also (closely followed by 'without you I'm nothing) their finest album yet. Indeed for any 'early' Placebo fans out there, there is a great parallel between these two albums. Both find Molko at his most despearte and honest lyrically, which made the record far more believable than recent records (the truly awful 'I do' anyone?-where I really felt he had run out of things to say) while it has to be said also, that with a few exceptions, 'Meds' is as melodically dark as WYIN.
It would be wrong to single out individual songs, because this is truly an 'album' designed to be listened to as just that. HOWEVER!......I'd have to say that 'Blind' 'Space monkey' 'Meds' 'Because I want you' and 'Infra red' are among my personal highlights. It must also be added that there are two songs on this record that fit into that 'unbelievable'.....'i cant believe I'm hearing this territory', they are 'Broken promise' and 'the cold light of morning' two of the bravest, magical and unexpected songs Placebo will ever write.
'Meds' therefore, is a masterpiece. A brilliant, soaring emotional return to form and (probably) the last Placebo record. What a fitting end that one of the best 'singles' band of the last decade have produced an ALBUM worthy of all of those great songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath-Takingly Emotional, 15 Mar 2006
This review is from: Meds (Audio CD)
To begin with, after hearin "Because I Want You" i was rather dreading the sound of this new album. Being a devoted fan of placebo [and feeling rather let down with SWG] i was hoping for something new and different.. but given time "Because I Want You" does grow on you. But once id listened to the album, there was and is no doubt in my mind this is their best album thus far. It is obviously much more emotional lyricly and you can really empathise with some of the songs such as "Broken Promise" and "Blind", Which are both killer tracks. But blended evenly with the ballads are the up-beat catchy songs weve all grown to love, songs such as "Post Blue" and "Meds" are just amazing fun to listen to and really stick in your head. Overall, this is a masterpiece, my favourite album from any band/artist since Mechanical Animals.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Placebo album ever !!!, 9 Feb 2006
This review is from: Meds [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I had the chance to get Placebo's new album "Meds" last week before everybody and it's hard to describe how voiceless I was ! This album is probably the best album Placebo has ever made ! All the songs are unique, so good and they bring you back to what Placebo used to do at the beginning of their carrier. From the pure rock "Infra red", to the deep transcendent "Space Monkey", to the wonderfully dramatic "Follow the cops back home" .... And You'll obviously love "In the light of the cold morning" and "Song to say goodbye". You'll love all of them without exception and this album is going to be a very big hit, I am sure of it !!! Can't wait to see them on stage !!! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Don't Forget To Take Your Meds, 26 Aug 2007
This review is from: Meds (Audio CD)
Placebo have been my favourite band for a while now since 'Without You I'm Nothing' I've been hooked on their hard sometimes eletronic songs mixed with deep,honest and reality laden lyrics. "Meds" their fifth album is one of my favourite albums of theirs also this album commemorates their 10 years in the industry, One of the best albums of 2006.

1.Meds (Feat.Alison 'VV' Mosshart of The Kills) - The last UK single from the album which is one of the best songs on the album.The song is in classic Placebo form dealing with manic depression,drug use and sex. From my interpretation of the song, It's about someone who is bipolar and has a really hard time dealing with it but whats more is that they are mixing the medication with other drugs therefor thinking that they can cope without taking their meds but they feel worse but just won't admit it. 10/10

2.Infra-Red - It appears that the psychotic main character of the song intends on committing suicide (as in the first line) but taking the other person out at the same time as an act of vengeance, making it look like an 'accident'.I think thats where the 'infra-red' theme comes in, that is that someone being killed occurs, but you don't see the intent behind the supposed 'accident'; just as infra red is there but you don't see it. It's a really great song again Placebo never disappoint always on point a stellar song that was also the second single lifted from the album with a great video. 10/10

3.Drag - This song is definately old,classic Placebo with the hard guitar riff throughout even down to the way Molko sings on this song reminds me of older songs like "Nancy Boy" and "Every You Every Me".I suppose this song is about somebody, who admires someone else who seems to be perfect in everyway, and hence the person feels a bit worthless, being always behind this perfect guy/girl. I personally think this should have been a single release it's another of my favourite songs. 10/10

4.Space Monkey - I've never really liked this song again, like some of thier previous work they've dabbled with some electronic sounds.Space Monkey is the most experimental track on the album.I see the enormously sexual element to this song. everything from the lyrics to the sound of brian's voice and the way the rhythm is kind of slow and deliberately erotic. I've had the album for a while now and I still really can't get into it, I do listen to it though but prefer the others 7/10

5.Follow The Cops Back Home - This is such a beautiful song again like Space Monkey is has an experiemental edge to it. Brian said that the song was inspired by a visit to Iceland during 24-hour sun. The vistas, the geysers, the salt pools and he wondered what teenagers get up to as there is no police and barely any crime. It was one of the songs that I just instantly loved it's definately one of the best songs. 10/10

6.Post Blue - Again the ongoing theme on the album is addiction and drug abuse and mental illness and of course this song is no exception I get the feeling that the person he is singing to has depression but uses drugs to cope with it all. parts of the song sound like he is trying to reassure them that he is there and would do anything for the person but alll they do is push him away "bite the hand that feeds". It really is a great song I gotta admit I didn't like at all when I first heard but, it's a great song especially listening to the lyrics carefully. 10/10

7.Because I Want You - I think this song is mostly about a relationship between two people. One of them is cheating on the other and is causing alot of strain on there relationship. the other person is finding it hard and feels lonely because the cheating has torn them apart and thus turning to drink for comfort as they don't like to be alone. I always thought this was a weird choice for lead single, I do love the song I just didn't think it was strong enough to make the impact that it should of made. 10/10

8.Blind - I think this song is about a partner thats destroying themself through drugs, self harm etc. Hes begging them not to leave but sounds like hes knows his efforts are pointless and hes kinda given up. Its a great song and very emotional, he saying not to leave him in the dark let him help you get through what your going through such a sweet song is it's own twisted, Placebo way. 9/10

9.Pierrot The Clown - This is such a beautiful,harrowing song. This is my favourite song on the album,to me this song is about phisical abuse and the vicious circle that it generates, the person being abused doesn`t like it but they don`t ask for help, they just let it happen again.Also I think that the figure of the clown was chosen to show that the person abused is a person who hides his/her sadness and always show a happy face even though he/she might be suffering, just like any clown.This song works on so many levels for me.The "Pierrot The Clown" character was always being made fun of and trusted people to easily. He was always being let down. A Naive character who gives too many second chances. This stands as one of the best Placebo songs ever written, to me anyway. 10/10

10.Broken Promise (Feat.Michael Stipe) - Considering this song features R.E.M. frontman Michae Stipe I was expecting something different, like some actually worth listening to!. I gotta say as much as I love both Molko and Stipe I think this is one of the worst songs on the album, if not THE worse.I have tried to like it, I really have perhaps I was so transfixed with the song before anything before it wouldn't live up to it.The song is about being unfaithful and both of you never really recovering or forgiving the person who did you wrong. 6/10

11.One Of A Kind - This song could refer to a person that is living on their own terms for life and is more realistic than people that looks forward to socialize to feel approved and sheltered for people acceptance."On top of the world and you get nothing done" is a sentence defining how there are people that looks more for a group belonging for not being labeled even when they could feel empty inside than be faithful to their own desires. It's a great song the ongoing guitar riff is great and Molko sounds great. 9/10

12.In The Cold Light Of Morning - Some people I've spoken to and listened to the album with don't really like this song and find it weak,I don't see this song as weak at ALL, it drags you right in to the situation and leaves you there. I think people don't like this song because it's different to the rest of the album but it belongs on Meds just like the others. I love the way Brian's voice is deep and haunting almost. People also find it to have a Tim Burton-esque feel to it.This song was ommited from the original tracklisting the the US because of one of the lines, and personally I think it's stupid I've heard worse. It's a great song to round the album off. 10/10

13.Song To Say Goodbye - The song sounds like a story about a father figure, or guardian of some sort, that came into your life and was supposed to be your friend, someone you could relate to, but has a drug problem, I absolutely LOVE this song it's such a sad song and the video, It almost reduced me to tears, how helping someone go cod turkey is a emotionally draining experience. The first verse I think is giving the person tough love and when they are high and out of it they have "the voice that makes you cry". then the second verse is telling them how much your hurting the person. Such a great song to finish on. 10/10

Top 5
1.Pierrot The Clown
2.Song To Say Goodbye
3.Meds
4.Follow The Cops Back Home
5.Drag

If you love the band then I suggest you pick up their most solid work so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Meds. You'll be hooked., 7 April 2006
This review is from: Meds (Audio CD)
This album really marks a whole new era for a band that have been around for practicaly a decade. The fact that they can still come up with fresh, creative and meaningful material just goes to show what a superb band they really are, and a musical force to be reckoned with! Meds is undoubtably the album of Placebo's career to date, every sound on every track is beautifully crafted and polished to perfection but prevented from sounding processed or sterile by the vein of raw human feeling that is their trademark. Its impossible to listen to without finding a new favourite every time but track of the album is definately "Pierrot The Clown", a stunningly simple and beautiful track. The DVD extras are a little confusing to say the least. The Documentary is about 8 minutes long and is basically the band talking about making the album. Theres no real depth to it and you are left feeling like you watched a trailer for a longer feature rather than the whole feature itself. The live performance from wembley is good (I was there!!) but I dont understand why they chose "Twenty Years" as this is also the track performed in the Live 8 footage so you are basically watching the same song getting played live twice. They shouldve used "I Do" as the Wembley footage instead as this was a much more watchable performance. The demos are nothing special as anyone with the albums already has the tracks and the "virtual booklet" of lyrics is basically just Placebo kareoke...oh yeh, and its copy protected and anti-ipod. Great.
Dont buy the special edition unless you are a die-hard fan and even then you will probably be annoyed and disappointed. The album itself is worth its weight in gold, however, so add it to your collection immediately!

5.0 out of 5 stars superb brown sugar for the ears, 16 Mar 2006
This review is from: Meds (Audio CD)
If you love placebo you must buy this album! I was absolutely blown away buy it. It's got to be the best record I've heard in a very long time. 'Meds' the hypnotic opener grabs you by the curlies and hauls you into this fabulous carnival of human complexity. I'm not talking about adolescent angst here,. 'Sex and drugs and complications.' This is so much better than swg.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meds - new take on old format, 1 Mar 2006
This review is from: Meds [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I love this album. I know a few people have said its not as good as sleeping with ghosts etc but if you liked "placebo" then this is the grown up version of it. The band have matured yet at the same time they have attempted to go back to the beginning, ditching a lot of the technology etc. Id say its a darker and more melancholic album than "placebo", with only one song that seems to have been based on a previous one. anyway, all this is just opinion, but i am a genuine placebo fan and i really like this album.

ARRAY(0xa6f909c0)

Meds
Meds by Placebo (Audio CD - 2006)