on 12 April 2008
An outstanding story of the conflict between good (John Mills as the priest Father Keogh) and evil (Dirk Bogarde as the charismatic bandit-in-black, Anacleto) for the control of the hearts and minds of a Mexican town, complicated by the involvenment of a beauty named Locha and the two male protagonists' grudging admiration for each other. Unfortunately, this German version (choice of English dialogue) is spoilt by the outrageous quality of the transfer: washed-out colours, fuzzy, out-of-focus, and the English speech, though it uses the original actors' voices, curiously doesn't quite sync with the lip movements! Not in original cinemascope ratio either. Look for another version. Would have given it five stars otherwise.
on 21 August 2007
Careful! This film was not shot 1:33 as presented on this disc! It was shot in CinemaScope (or a variation thereof). There's a tremendous difference between a 1:33, panned and scanned presentation and the original aspect ratio!

Besides, it's a British film in what appears to be a German version here. It would be bad enough to have German subtitles in a squeezed, P&S print, but one wouldn't want Mills and Bogarde dubbed with English titles either!

Though it has developed a cult following over the years, the film was badly received originally, which probably explains why it has never been commercially released IN English and IN the correct aspect ratio.
33 comments13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 May 2007
I first saw this movie when I was still a teenager, and frankly I loved it. I developed this huge crush on Dirk Bogarde! The film is about an outlaw played by Dirk Bogarde and a priest who tries to reform him played by John Mills. It is a good movie and worth watching.
on 14 October 2015
I remember enjoying it about 30 years ago and have been seeking it for a long time. I had just about given up so it was a pleasant surprise to find
that it was available from amazon. It was just as good this time and more than met my expectations.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 April 2010
Was a little unsure what this would be like given the other reviews about the quality and presentation, but am delighted that I didn't let them put me off. This film is as wonderful as I remembered it, classic simple yet powerful story, and the acting is just superb. The picture and language niggles had no impact on my enjoyment of the film and I would strongly recommend it to anyone.
on 7 May 2015
Great thank you. My dad loves it!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2011
One of Bogarde's finest films, here he plays cowboy Anacleto whose past is challenged by priest Father Keogh (played by John Mills). Rewarding film, especially if you like to watch your cowboys in leather! Here, Bogarde wears black leather trousers and gloves with black shirt, stetsen & boots. Also check out 'El Dorado' (John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, James Caan) where Caan wears a black leather shirt throughout the film.