5.0 out of 5 stars Escaflowne - Must watch!, 10 Nov 2012
I bought the Escaflowne full box set because I hadn't seen any REEAAALLY good anime in ages, and had heard great reviews about it. Well, it didn't disappoint! I haven't finished it yet but so far it is ticking all the boxes: a main character who is interesting and does not make me want to throttle her, good love interests, action, funny moments.

The score is also really catchy, with chanting sections to j-pop stuff. The animation is good, I can't remember if it was remastered for this edition, but I personally favour the animation from that era, rather than the 'too clean and matte' stuff we get today.

I would definitely recommend this to first time anime watchers, or anime fans who just want to watch a good old classic.

There's also extras like trailers, songs and 'Escaflowne Club' which has extra info on the series, although I haven't looked at it yet because it contains spoilers for first time watchers. So, yh...its great! BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Anime lover? Fantasy fan? Buy this, watch this, love this., 30 Aug 2011
Wow. This had been on my wish list for awhile but I didn't expect it to be this good. I'm not even finished with the series yet but felt the need to come on and review it as soon as I had spare time. Being honest, I must say that the front cover was what attracted me to it in the first place (this version is so much nicer on the eye than the dull UK version). Apart from a pretty front though, this anime offers so much more... It's true that the animation is a little dated compared with todays, crisp, computer-generated images but you can still clearly see the time and love put into the colour palette and drawing. A few episodes in, you won't even notice the difference (and like me, you may end up loving the style).

**Brief Plotline Ahead** - Hitomi, your average teenage school-girl (hormones and all) enters as our heroine. Watching the first episode almost seems like it's lining the series up to be your cheesy high school-romance anime but luckily this is far from the truth. Big flash of light ensues, and an epic battle unfolds at the school right in front of Hitomi and her friends (don't want to spoil the fight for you). Afterwards, she ends up being sent to another world called Gaea, in which Earth is only present as a moon in the sky. Discovering she has hidden powers and becoming ever closer to Van (the young Prince of Arcadia), she finds herself witnessing the beginning of a global war as The Zaibach Empire searches for a long lost ancient power. Include plot twists, cool mecha fights, a fantastic fantasy setting and an epic story line (complete with many likeable characters) and Escaflowne (pronounced Ess-cah-flow-nay) is the result. I have read that fans were very happy with the ending, so I am eagerly awaiting to get to that point (as I find many animes have rather poor endings).

GET THIS IF:
- You don't mind a bit of mecha (Gundam etc) ((don't worry, it goes perfectly well with the setting; and it isn't over used))
- You enjoy good fantasy animes and series
- You are looking for a complete series with decent character development and a satisfying ending
- You enjoy classics like Dragonball Z and Slayers
- You appreciate good dubs (both Japanese and English are good)
- You are a fan of animes with Yoko Kanno as the music composer

AVOID THIS IF:
- Stories with secondary "love" plot lines really put you off
- You don't like typical high school females as the lead character
- You are looking for an action-packed blood bath (there is a fair amount of fighting but nothing like e.g. Hellsing)
- You are hoping for lots of fan service

Escaflowne: Anime Legends Complete Collection [DVD] [2001] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Used & New from: £42.33