5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent & Essential Remasters Done Right!
Got all 4 of the new Moody Blues reissues <all but DOFP> yesterday. I grew up with these lp's when they were released. I was happy with the last remasters, but these are really special. I don't have surround yet, so I am listening to the stereo layer. Other than being mastered loud, like everything these days, I have to say I love them! The packaging is exquisite - you...
Published on 20 April 2006 by John Sayers

2.0 out of 5 stars Flawed in other ways
Published on 8 Aug 2007 by Poddy

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Search no more, 2 Nov 2008
Mark Kibble "Underground man" (Coalville Leics England) - See all my reviews
After the orchestral concept that was 'Days of future past', the Moody's stripped back to basics for this follow up album. Shorter songs, still in the psychedelic pop/rock mode of the time, with all of the band sharing writing duties. My personal favourites are the Justin Hayward numbers with 'Voices in the sky' being the albums stand out track, but there is something for everyone on here, including Graeme Edge's poems.

It states in the sleeve notes that thirty three different instruments were used on this album, try finding them, it adds to the enjoyment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Flawed in other ways, 8 Aug 2007
This review is from: In Search of the Lost Chord [Deluxe Edition] (Audio CD)
Further to what a previous guy said, the first of the two CDs SKIPS!!! Track two on the first CD (Ride My See Saw) has a small digital skip near the end, it's on the master and not just on the two copies I've had in my possession. This was reported to Universal early in 2007, and they told me that they're not prepared to order a remaster as Justin Hayward had already cleared the masters as good.

I believe this to be an atrocious way to deal with customers, especially when they highlight problems to them. In addition there's a loud digital click that they're also aware of on "Visions of Paradise" too. When this set is seen as the "definitive article", this is surely nothing short of scandalous. May I suggest that everyone with a copy has a closer listen.... and maybe also contact Universal? Maybe, with the SACD issues highlighted by others here, we may then finally get to see a new and proper definitive version of ISOTLC on the shelves.

All that said the bonus tracks are nice, and are the basis of me giving it two stars for a double CD set.

5.0 out of 5 stars An indispensible time capsule of beautiful music., 3 Nov 2014
Outastace "Outastace" (Manchester, England, UK) - See all my reviews
I first saw this remarkable album on display in the window of a record shop on Underbank, Stockport, when I was a 15-year-old schoolboy. I was immediately drawn to the eerie artwork and was desperate to find out what the music sounded like. At that time I had become fascinated with eastern (and Indian) religion and had read books about the subject. This album called out to me and I gleefully handed over the cash (at the time less than £2) for this beautifully-designed gatefold sleeve LP. I was not disappointed. The music that flowed out of my cheap Dansette record-player (eventually to be replaced by a quality hi-if I bought shortly after starting work) was mysterious, lush, beautiful, intriguing and incredibly melodic. It was catchy, too! Ride My See-Saw a fabulous rocker; Legend Of A Mind, with it's "Timothy Leary's Dead" chorus, strange and a little frightening; the beautiful "Visions of Paradise" all demanded repeated plays. From that moment I was a Moody Blues fan for life. Succeeding albums might have had stronger songs, more exotic instrumentation or catchier choruses, but In Search Of The Lost Chord stands as a wonderful moment in time, when all things were possible and music like this was pushing boundaries. Indispensible.

1.0 out of 5 stars In Search of ..a master without faults perhaps? It ain't THIS one.., 29 July 2008
I wrote a review on the deluxe double CD issue of this album recently stating that there was an error in the mastering (there is a small skip on one track and a digital click on another). Joe Black at Universal who oversees the remasters series was made aware of the issue then (and it was accepted that there IS an issue), yet because the remasters had been accepted by Justin Hayward, they have refused to correct this error in this new reissue. I think that this is a disgrace, and maybe everyone who owns either this version or the double "Deluxe (sic)" issue should take the issue up with Universal too, as this is the only way that these errors may be corrected.

Incidentally my brother had an EMI CD with a similar mastering issue about 15 years ago; they put his note on file, and within a few months he received an amended version... now THAT's the way to treat customers!

5.0 out of 5 stars In Search Of The Lost Chord, 21 Aug 2010
I bought this album on vinyl on it's release in 1968. I have to say that, for me, it is the best album that they have ever made. Their music was so different and far removed from your average pop album.Unfortunately, back in the days when audio equipment was rather inferior, as a 16 year old, I only had my brothers' old Dansette record player to play my albums on. Owing to the fact that it wasn't a stereo record player, my copy of In Search, along with On The Threshold Of A Dream and To Our Childrens'Childrens' Children, are all in mono, whilst all the others that I purchased are in stereo. High time, I think, to buy the cd's to replace the mono recordings.I have just begun playing these albums again and they still sound as good as ever and bring back a lot of memories. As for the tracks themselves, it appeared to become a tradition on this, and the next two albums, to open with a Graeme Edge offering. Departure builds slowly and quietly to erupt into the rock-based Ride My See-Saw by John Lodge. Ray Thomas's Dr. Livingstone, I Presume is next up and he always gives us a sing-along type of track in his contribution and of his two songs on this album, this is one of them. House Of Four Doors is split into a mini opera and Part 2 concludes side 1. Sandwiched in between is, for me, possible the best track on the album, Legend Of A Mind by Ray Thomas. I just love the flute work on this track by Ray. Side 2 opens with Justin Haywards' Voices In The Sky, a lovely ballad type song and very thought provoking. Next up, The Best Way To Travel by Mike Pinder, a sci-fi, spacey, dream song e.g 'speeding through the universe'. The only joint collaboration on the album, Visions Of Paradise by Justin Hayward and Ray Thomas, is next up. Another dreamy track with, again, fine singing by Justin and flute by Ray. For me, the next track is in the same bracket as Nights In White Satin. This is The Actor by Justin Hayward, another powerful ballad where Justins singing is top notch. The penultimate track, The Word, by Graeme Edge seems to bring together what this album is all about and the wonderful Om, by Mike Pinder is a truly atmospheric closing track and is a fitting climax to a fantastic album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Psychedelic classic., 10 Dec 2003
Mr. R. Baker (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
Following the epic orchestral masterpiece, 'Days of Future Passed', the Moodies return with an album on a larger scale, yet performed entirely by themselves. The band pick up a number of exotic instruments to make this psychedelic classic.
In the style typical to their earlier career, the album is a mixture of unusually structured songs (Legend of a Mind, House of Four Doors) and pop/rock standards (Ride My See-Saw, The Actor), making an interesting mixture, always changing.
The album is a concept album of sorts, marking, as the title suggests, a search for the lost chord, with the songs marking different steps on the journey. However, it doesn't take the concept too seriously, which makes each song worthwhile on its own, rather than having to fit in with the story.
Standouts for me are 'Legend of a Mind' - a six minute epic with a mystical breakdown in the middle full of Indian flutes and sitars, and 'Visions of Paradise' and 'The Actor', both classic examples of Justin Hayward's skill of writing beautiful ballads.
This, along with its predecessor, are the best places to start with The Moody Blues, with their perfect mix of strong songwriting and experimental/psychedelic moments. Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars This deserves 6 stars, if it were possible, 27 May 2007
When someone asks me 'What is your favourite album of all time', invariably In Search of the Lost Chord springs to mind without hesitation. First played to me by my father when I was about 15, this album is still a constant among my most-played tracks (example: I bought a new ipod in January (this is May) and it has had 74 playings since then, not counting the times when I get out the old vinyl LP). And I never get tired of hearing it.

In my opinion the best of the 7 core 'psychedelic' Moodies albums, ISOTLC combines Eastern influences, ingenious lyrics and a loose philosophical concept that still has the power to inspire today. Think of the impact it must have had in the idealistic 60's!!

From the wonderful, building poetry of 'Departure' the Moodies waste no time in bursting into the first-class material of 'Ride My See-Saw'. The quality doesn't drop for a second since, continuing into 'Dr. Livingston..' and the reflective, again building expectation of 'House of Four Doors'.

This breaks off on a wonderfully utilised cliffhanger to the buzzing, trippy, colourful, wonderful (and many superlatives) 'Legend of a Mind'. Read into this what you want- it's a surreal, satirical, psychedelic take on hippy 'pasttimes' or a playful nonsense-story that hides a hidden, important meaning. The airplane has barely touched down when the listener is invited back into that mystically intimate House of Four Doors... what could be found within?

What follows are beautifully written and performed ballads, each as good as the last- incredibly dreamy, laid-back and really the epitome of late 60's ethos. Picture moustached hippies in kaftans lying around on silk cushions smoking pot...

'Visions of Paradise' and 'The Actor' both stand out as particularly well-written and emotionally engaging, a perfect winding-down through the penultimate, open-ended 'conclusion' The Word- a crystalline poem of optimism and yearning. Finally the listener is treated to an audio-high- the medititive, melodic and almost orgasmic 'Om'.

But really, I just can't (and wouldn't want to) put into words just how special this album really is. To understand that, you just have to hear it for yourself.

1.0 out of 5 stars remastered disappointment, 13 Oct 2008
sorry but new remastered issue seems to be worse than not remastered version from eighties to me,
e.g. I miss some percussion in Legend of a Mind or Voices in the sky, or low drums on Ride My See-Saw.

1.0 out of 5 stars Re-mastered ? ... Re-pulsive !, 5 Nov 2009
I've got the 1997 mix [ASIN:B000002GQG In Search Of The Lost Chord]]and the songs are still wonderful, but the re-mastering is terrible; the mix seems all wrong with the wrong instruments to the fore when they should not be. The most irritating part of this is the clear 'tick-tick' of drum stick hitting the cymbals; it's not a cymbal sound it's a hitting sound that simply should not be there. So which edition will be better ??

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Moody Blues, 6 May 2010
Released in 1968, In Search Of The Lost Chord is one of the finest albums released by The Moody Blues, highlights include John Lodge's Ride My See-Saw, Justin Hayward's beautiful Voices In The Sky and the Ray Thomas penned Legend Of A Mind. One of the classic psychedelic albums, this album still sounds fresh and this new digital remaster also includes 9 bonus tracks including 2 songs recorded for the BBC. Not sure of about the criticism by fellow reviewers of this new digital remaster, I have some of these songs on a Best of Moody Blues compilation, which have not been remastered, and the quality on this 2008 version is far superior!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›