Edition: Normal|Change
Price:£8.00+ Free shipping

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on 18 November 2014
Halo was a flagship title for Xbox, which introduced and made available a first person shooter to a new generation. Previously, to play a game of this magnitude required a decent PC so the Xbox managed to bring a first person shooter into the lounge of a brand new group of gamers. I played Halo 3 on its release in 2007 and was underwhelmed.

For a game released in 2007 it's neither well polished or original; especially when compared to games like Half-Life and Deus Ex, which where released on PC in 1998 and 2000, both of which had original ideas and where superior in there design (even graphically), I'm an avid gamer and prefer console games over PC but Halo 3 is undeservedly placed on a pedestal due to nostalgic gamers who were introduced to games during this period.

I recently replayed Halo 3 on multiplayer with friends but for 2007 the graphics are flat and blocky and without fluidity, especially if you compare them to land mark games like Shadow of the Colossus, which was released two years earlier with graphics which still rival newly released games. The campaign is average and Master Chief, as a character, is dull (just heard they're making a Halo film considering his mostly mute and faceless that should be interesting). There are things which are unique to Halo such as sticky grenades and The Flood which I commend. Multiplayer, however, is full of glitches and gamers taking advantage of glitches. My favourite being the player who found a means to access what should be the solid structure of a wall were he couldn't be seen or shot at but could shoot unsuspecting players with impunity. This is all too common making multiplayer a rigged experience.
on 15 September 2014
Floaty controls. Mediocre graphics. An annoying hud. No iron sights (apart from the odd zoom ability on some weapons). A general gaudy feel to the look and colour scheme. Grenades to be picked up are bigger than fallen comrade's heads. Little tension and the action and set pieces have no real impact. Childish enemies and no realism. Poor level design with some heavy backtracking in places. Abysmal vehicle controls. The list goes on.

I own both PS3 & XBOX360 so I am not biased about exclusive titles. (Gears of War trilogy being a highlight of my gaming experiences). This is, in all seriousness, just a bit rubbish. A light shooter for the kids, nothing more. In truth I haven't played the first 2, but this shouldn't matter. I didn't play the first Mass Effect either but Mass Effect 2 is one of my favourite games of all time.
While Halo 3, to be fair, is not the worst of the worst, it isn't that great either. It's simply boring, severely below par technically and just not very enjoyable. I don't play multiplayer so couldn't comment, but with a campaign that looks and plays this poor I can't imagine or being any better. A disappointment.
on 31 December 2007
Having played Halo 1, I was expecting something a bit more with Halo 3 being the 360 release of the game. I maybe too cynical to be carried away with the narrative of the trilogy (a marketing ploy by MS), I looked at the game as a first person shooter rather than the conclusion to a trilogy. I probably lost some of the enjoyment by doing this, but found the playability of the game a disappointment, there is very little in the way of tactics or problem solving, its just point and shoot, which does get monotonous after a while. Do not get me wrong the game looks a treat on your screen, but that does not really make up of what is lacking.
If you want a good looking shooter where you point and shoot then buy this, however if you want something with a little more depth then buy Halflife2 or one of the Tom Clancy series.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 2009
Dunno why everyone likes this so much - I bought it based on reviews - tried to get into dozen times but I and find it just too linear/boring

I much prefer to free-roaming like GTA or Crackdown and then *I* decide how/when I am going to tackle problems/missions

Or i might not bother following missions at all and just wander around blasting the hell out of everything and anything - can't do that in Halo 3 - too scripted
on 8 October 2007
The game was ok about on par with Halo 1. But it kinda sucks that the game was on par with such a "great but old game". Even many levels looked the same as for the ending!! Try originality.

The fact that I got the box off the post man at lunchtime and completed it the same day also amazed me. The single player game is short about 6/7 hours. It feels same as before with a few new guns and carts. Should have had more for such a widely anticipated and hyped game. If you never played Halo it will be fun but if you played H1 forget it.
on 12 December 2007
I am not happy with the state of this game. the graphics are good, but a bit dodgy sometimes - NOT GOOD ENOUGH! certain textures look worse than
Halo 1.
The one player adventure is FAR FAR too short. I feel like I have been cheated.
Yes its a good game, its halo, but the gameplay hasn't evolved past halo 2. The new secondary items that do stuff like give you a shield etc. aren't needed and make no difference in the one player game. In fact, by the time you notice their effects the game is over anyway.
This whole game stinks - I think microsoft KNEW everyone was going to buy it no matter what, so it didn't matter how much money or effort they put into it. Money rules the world! and it ruins good games when developers get greedy and try to do things as cheaply as possible. PATHETIC! Come on microsoft HALO is suppposed be your biggest game! all I can imagine is money driven suits in their boardrooms saying "the idiots will buy it whatever we do, ha ha ha! just make a quick campaign and disguise the lack of actual content with lots and lots of pointless features so the fools wont see any different and convince themselves its still a great game. HA HA HA HA!"

You wont ever find Nintendo rushing a Mario game, and never will Sony allow a new Metal Gear to be far to short and void of great new gamplay content.THEN WHY ON EARTH IS HALO SO PATHETIC? The character models look like they are from Halo 2 with some textures added, PATHETIC. It Literally feels like you are halfway through the game when you complete it. The story is Awful.

But what does Microsoft get for cutting corners and cheating everyone?great great reviews. Yep, outstanding reviews by Mr. FPS Obsessive. He Skims over the fact that the game is far too short and finishes it all off saying its worth it because of all the extra features.

You wont be buying me over with your pathetic little extra features I WANT CONTENT! Come on microsoft! After finishing the game in no time I really don't want to mess around with a fancy map editor and 'film' myself in action.

Oh well Id better complete it again on legendary this time so it doesn't feel like I've wasted my money. GRRR...
on 19 January 2008
Firstly, I should point out that I don't play these games online, so my review is based on a single player experience only.
Secondly, I really enjoyed Halo and thought the sequel followed on nicely and added some decent new touches.
However, this game is poor in comparison. Yes the graphics are better, but that should be expected as the previous 2 games were released on X-Box and not the 360. Once you get beyond the looks you realise this is just a rehash of the first game (complete with identical "race through exploding environment in jeep" end level). The weapons were no better, the vehicles no better and the levels no better than either previous Halos. In fact I just felt like I had been ripped off having shelled out £40, in anticipation of the much hyped "best FPS ever", and ending up with a regurgatated, generic shooter with nothing to add to the games that came before.
Maybe online it is amazing, but to those of us over 30 with a job, kids and a life, its the single player mode that counts. Get MOH:Airborne or CoD4 for fast paced FPS fun or Condemned or Bioshock if you want something a bit different.
on 17 March 2011
I remember when Halo was first touted to be a PC-only release. This was before Bungie made the decision to make it an Xbox exclusive which turned out to be a good move for them - Halo is definitely more a console than a PC game. When it then got released on PC after all, I was significantly underwhelmed by the single player campaign which consisted of uninspiring open areas and terrible in-door locations. The combat consisted of spamming inaccurate energy projectiles or shooting with inaccurate guns, neither rewarding accurate aiming.

When Halo 2 was then released, I played it on my Xbox and once again I was underwhelmed - again the same enemies which all look pretty much alike, but with better locations this time. On the other hand, the annoying Flood was back.

And then Halo 3 came along, and once again I was hoping they'd at least fix what I dislike about the game, namely the way it feels like a cheap shooting gallery with weak AI, poor map design and not weapons that are unsatisfying to shoot. But nope, Halo 3 was exactly like the two games before - keeping the same weaknesses.

Maybe I'm biased because I'm used to proper FPS games where headshots are encouraged and where you can pick up far more weapons allowing you to ration ammo according to the situation. In Halo 3 I felt like I spent more time swapping weapons from the ground than actually shooting them.

In the end, the Halo series still leaves a lot to be desired, relying on bullet spamming instead of proper tactics - at least in single player. But considering several surveys have shown that the majority of Halo players rarely or never play with friends, there's no excuse for this.
on 19 October 2007
Like most 360 owners I had been waiting for Halo 3 to come out since the end of the 2nd game but when I played the newest edition it felt I was playing a shorter more boring version of Halo 2 and I felt very disappointed.

The graphics on the game have a few nice scenes like visually intresting backgrounds and skies and natural looking enviroments but after a while you realise they hav'nt really bothered much that much on improving since Halo 2. I'm also not sure how they manage to make characters look so unrealistic and blocky. Of course the graphics are far better than the original Halo on xbox but this is the 360 and with games like gears of war they did'nt have any excuse for the lack of effort.

The gameplay I found was the biggest dissapointment, I can take there sub-standard graphics, terrible character acting and recycled story but the gameplay was the biggest element and they screwed it right up. The game seems EVEN shorter than Halo 2 and everything that happend I felt was just too predictable, game starts, initial fighting off invasion, flood turn up, flood finished with, convenant finished with, world saved, end of game; WOW! just like the previous two. There are no improvements to character control or transport, weapons have been messed with to make them even more boring to use and the drone like from A to B got tedious. One the pro side enemy AI seems improved and the human soldiers appear a bit tougther than before.

A redeeming quality of this game is the multiplayer games which I think the game was made for as they are even more fun than previous games with the new maps and transport.

I think if this game was 3X longer than what was given to us (as it could have be put in Halo 2 it was so short) and the story was not exactly the same as the other two WITH predictable plot turns and a terrible ending I'd be a lot happier. Buy only for multiplayer, rent for the story.
on 12 April 2008
Halo 1 was a real console seller. Halo 2 was brilliant online and had a reasonabvle single player experience. However Halo 3 was a big disappointment and as the first game i bought for the 360 i wondered if i'd done right buying the console (thank god Call of duty 4 and Project gotham 4 convinced me i had done right)

I haven't got xbox live now and so have no idea how good it is online, but if you're going to buy just for the single player game then i wouldn't bother.