5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent finale to the trilogy.
My husband and I are fairly avid Xbox gamers and played the original Halo and Halo2 back on the black box. Enjoyed Halo, Halo2 less so. So, I was not expecting brilliance from Halo3 having read some dodgy reviews prior to release.

Luckily, I took the plunge and am glad to say I have not regretted it.

Enjoyment factor: The game is very engaging. The...
Published on 22 Oct 2007 by Sisemen

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost that spark
Well, i think that like most people, i was expecting a lot from Halo 3. To get into the mood of it all, i went back to playing the original halo (as 2 was a bit pants).

The first impresions of the game, were one of brilliant graphics, however, as you get further into the game, you soon discover that the story is no where near as engaging as the first one...For...
Published on 13 Nov 2007 by R. A. Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent finale to the trilogy., 22 Oct 2007
This review is from: Halo 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)

Luckily, I took the plunge and am glad to say I have not regretted it.

Enjoyment factor: The game is very engaging. The NPC (non-player characters) are varied and well-voice acted. The weapons have been vamped up a little. Some old favourites are there (I personally love the target-seeking needler) and some cracking new BFGs have been added (eg you can rip off turrets & carry them around and there is also a Gravity Hammer which sees off pretty much anything with one close-range swipe).

Graphics: Lovely - no need to say more. Clear as crystal on a good screen. Surprising in much the same way that they were on the original game, even allowing for our new expectations, and with added bells and whistles! There are still the sneaky back ways that let you creep up on the enemy and no issues with lag at all. Very immersive play as the arenas are interesting and large-scale.

Play-ability: excellent. I agree with the comments elsewhere that Normal is for newbies and Heroic for old-timers. I like a reasonable game that I can pelt through a level or so in a hour of an evening and Normal is perfect for that. My husband likes a challenge and Herioc certainly provides one. We have yet to sample Legendary, but even the most hard-core of gamers will find a level to suit their tenacity.

Another excellent feature of this game is that 'save and quit' puts you back to the last checkpoint (which occur regularly in the game). NOT back to the beginning of the level. This means it is great for people who have to get up from their games from time to time - eg to eat with the family. You can rejoin where you were without having to lose hours of gameplay.

I rarely give great marks for games. The last 5/5 was Oblivion. This is a different kettle of fish - but still a 5 star game in my opinion.

Good for those who:
- liked Halo and Doom (in all its iterations),
- don't have lengthy periods of uninterrupted playtime at their disposal,
- play with others present - it's visually a good watch even if you're not playing yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finish the Fight..., 14 April 2009
M. Hughes "Marrrfooo" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halo 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I remember seeing the first teaser-movies for the first Halo, before it was even taken off the PC development platform and made the 'killer game' for the Xbox...that was about 8 years ago and Halo 3 is the climax of those 8 years of enjoyment. This is not an understatement - geekish self-indulgence aside, this is one of the most simply-stunning pieces of entertainment. I played Halo in my first year at Uni on a completely co-op basis with my corridor-mate and it was one of the most fun gaming (and, shock horror, social) experiences ever. I only played Halo 2 on the 360 having realised I hadn't actually gotten around to playing it at all, and then when this came out I had high hopes...and I was not disappointed.

Games likes this are extraordinary - there are really only 3-5 games like this in any genre on any platform that can cause such fondness of memories for people to indulge in a story so much. Metal Gear Solid (and its sequels), Half-life (and its sequels), Gears of War (and its sequels) and of course Halo are probably the 4 that come at the very top of the action/FPS genre (I can't count Call of Duty as the first 2 were great, 3 was a waste and Modern Warfare is brilliant but too short - stick with Infity Ward and the MW layout on this, that's all I'll say)...

All four of the above games have a rich storyline that the game seems to THEN be built around - building a game and then fitting story almost never works. Not only this but the graphics are stunning and a new-generation take on how things can be done. They are voice-acted superbly and time is spent on making characters real, rather than just lots of tiny parts and one main protagonist (see the brilliant, massive but flawed Oblivion: Elder Scrolls!). However, one thing that really has struck me about Halo 3 and above and beyond the other games mentioned, is the musical score. I think music is such a hugely under-appreciated tool for drama, emoting from the player and generally making scenes of quality in to scenes of spectacular story-telling to the point of spell-binding. I completed this just a few days ago (been distracted by other games!) but I keep re-thinking over the musical parts and some of them are, I am not afraid to say, genuinely emotional - but again, this can only work with a story-arch you can utterly invest and believe in (to some extent, this is Sci-Fi).

The single-player is well structured and of decent length (although I think slightly shorter than the other predecessors in the series), the graphics are sharp and soft in different respects when needed to be, the game is manageable from a difficulty perspective, the multiplayer is varied (although challenging at times) and it's just generally a game that has left me quite stunned. Not since I completed Half-life2:Episode 2 was I left wondering what/if there will be a sequel and re-counting the different moments you remember throughout the journey.

This is a special, special piece of entertainment; a line in the sand for the pure combination of factors that must be brought to bear on all games that deem to raise themselves to the level of quality that surely all designers want? There is a reason why people are quietly murmuring about how gaming is becoming a newer and deeper platform for entertainment expression, even rivalling film - that reason is games like Halo 3; that reason is care, attention and pure skill at design and craft; that reason is the passion that gets transferred from designers to the consumers. I was gutted that it had to come to an end at some point...but you can never quite trust Bungie - they always manage to surprise and they could well continue this beyond Halo 3...

Ladies and gentlemen, please enjoy one of the finest pieces of interactive story-telling you may ever have the fortune to experience... :)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best games on the platform: an instant classic!, 9 Feb 2009
Miles S. Cottier "MilshyC" (Oxford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halo 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
When I first bought halo 1 I knew i had invested in a once in a generatio game. The reviews were amazing and the game was so in-depth and ahead of its time it was amazing.

Of course I was eager for the realease of halo 2 but dissapointed as although the campaign was fun it became boring and multiplayer became repetative as i did not have xbox live.

However I did not get caught up in the hype of halo 3 although i did purchase it. I was instantly blown away by the graphics and although the campaign was not as amazing as the first games' the whole game is a massive step in the right direction for FPS'. It was only when i had it for about 3 months that I got xbox live and this totally changed my view on not just halo but on gaming!

I seriously recommend this game and also xbox live as it makes the gameplay so much more fun and rewarding.

10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Really addictive.... but missing something, 6 Nov 2008
T. Swann "Tom Swann" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halo 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I got this in a bundle with my xbox and its very addictive. It's amazing multiplayer especially on forge (which is a death match). You can play up to 4 players either on the story or on forge.

Single player - very easy but is missing something. I don't know what it is its just not there to get it's extra star.

Multiplayer - dont care if theres something missing too engaged with killing my friends and laughing at character being blown up by rocket launchers and throwing crates at each other.

Gameplay - 4/5
Shooting - 4/5
Graphics - 4/5
Multiplayer campaign - 5/5
Multiplayer forge - 10/5

If your the kind who likes killing aliens this is your game. But i'm just here to tell something about it is just not making it the 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good diversion..., 8 Oct 2007
The Voices (Cornwall, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halo 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I wasn't going to get this game originally because i haven't been a huge Halo fan having played and completed the first two. But i was browsing games in town for something new to get and thought why not?

This game is good and i recommend it for any fps or Halo fans, even for people who aren't usually fps fans(like myself) it can prove a good few hours of entertainment.

I found the story had better pulling power than the previous Halo games, which as a non fps fan i had to be in the mood to play. This one however i found managed to keep me playing for a longer period in one go(something which for me is quite rare with fps games). Good story, good challenge and well implemented overall.

I found a few nagging little things the first time i completed it which caused me a few unwarrented deaths, mainly to it's failure to explain quite what i was supposed to do. For instance fighting a scarab for the first time it was only after a fair few wasted rockets that the npc's pointed out i needed to shoot the legs to allow me to board it. This niggles can be forgiven though as the game allows you to keep playing pretty fluidly.

The major flaw from my point of view was that the single player campaign is very short, i bought it mid morning and had completed it the first time on the hardest difficulty(Legendary i believe it's called) by 11pm that evening and that was with taking a couple of hours break twice to do some other things, eat etc. This was a little disappointing and i would have liked them to put more effort into making the single player campaign longer as some of us don't want to play multiplayer online. I will say that i expect your average gamer will take longer to complete it so it may not be an issue for you.

The niggles and the shortness are the things that keep this game from getting the full five stars, those aside well worth playing.

4.0 out of 5 stars You need Xbox Live to really get your money's worth., 27 Aug 2008
S. Harding (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halo 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
When you buy Halo 3 I seriously recommend having a subscription to Xbox Live set up or in the process of being set up. I promise you that you will become bored of story mode very quickly after fanatically completing it on Normal, Heroic, Legendary and Metagame for the gamerscore (if you are a gamerscore whore such as myself). Halo 3 story mode is no different from any other Halo. It is just as mediocre as Halo 2's campaign in my opinion.

The addition of cool new features like Forge and Theatre mode offer players huge oppertunities to play the game they want and that's no just me kissing up to Bungie. You could spend hours altering maps, adding your own touch to the pre-programmed maps as well as the downloadable content or taking cool screenshots and video clips from both story and online gameplay, allowing you to look back at past games and (if you are very enthusiastic about your style) analyse your games and where you keep making mistakes. Halo 3 is also provided with excellent online backup from Bungie.net allowing players to view their character on the site as well as their online stats such as percentages of weapon usage, medal chests displaying the number of medals earned online and Heatmaps showing players where their kills are made and where they die the most in games online.

Online gaming is what really makes Halo 3 one of the best games ever though. Although there are plenty of other games with online capablities Halo has a certain feel about it that just sets it apart from other games in the genre. Maybe it is the huge variety of playlists (new ones added for weekend events), the chance to play Social matches in which players are allowed to have upto 3 guests all playing through one Xbox online or the huge appeal to many to earn the rank of General in Ranked playlists I do not know but one thing I do know is that without Xbox Live I would have gotten rid of Halo 3 months ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars You'll finish this fight pretty quickly,, 3 Nov 2007
This review is from: Halo 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
There probably hasn't been as much hype generated for any other game in the history of gaming as that for Halo 3. If ever there was a sure thing, this was it, and Bungie and Microsoft have put all their muscle behind this title. In addition, the Halo series has an almost religious following and people will lap up whatever is put out, whether it's good or bad. Which makes it very difficult to be subjective when reviewing it.

In terms of a single person experience, I'm afriad to say there are probably other games out there that are just as good. If not better. It's good - infact there are points in the game that had me screaming with excitement (scorpion tank anyone?) and unable to go to bed. The AI is excellent. Long gone are the days when you can do the old forwards backwards trick, drawing enemies to you to be picked off while you find a nice shady place. There are a number of tactics you can employ to beat the game, and the AI responds accordingly. The controls are intuitive and the graphics are pretty good - although not exactly brilliant. The CGI cutscenes are not always useful in terms of pushing the story along. You miss key pieces of information as they can be drowned out by the music, or characters telling you something important are allowed to walk away from you. My main criticism of this game - infact, it's the same for every single xbox game out there on the market right now - is the length. On normal, an average gamer (ie. me) can finish this in less than 8 hours. On legendary you can perhaps push this up a couple - but that's still not a lot of bang for your 40 quid, even if you consider the replayability of the campaign. I really hope this isn't a precedent set by developers, because it seems like we really are being ripped off.

It really is the xbox live features that makes this game worthwhile and stand out from the dirge of FPS games that fill the shelves at the moment. Co-op challenges, the forge, the theatre - all pushing the boundaries in some way. This is perhaps the true strength of Halo 3 - not the single player campaign. Bear this in mind before spending your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Polished, fun, excellent, 24 Sep 2009
This review is from: Halo 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
In short, Halo 3 is a brilliant game. It's fun, interesting and just addictive enough to keep you playing, without taking over your life.

The story mode is strong, better than a lot of games. Characters are believable (despite the clear sci-fi elements) and playing as the Chief if great. Although it is a lengthy game, it's no where near as long as say, GTA 4.

Multiplayer is where Halo 3 really comes into its own. We've seen the single player in one from or another in many games, but never before has multiplayer been so exhaustive in options and maps. And there are even new maps being released on xbox live every few months.

Want near endless fun with games? Love pretending to be a 7ft tall super human, silent, killing machine? Halo 3 is for you.

James

4.0 out of 5 stars Halo 3 xbox360, 2 April 2009
Halo 3 (Xbox 360)
Unforunely this is the second copy I had to get as the first one became faulty.
Maybe played too much !!
Great price..thankfully.
Great Game..

5.0 out of 5 stars Halo 3 Excellent starter game for a new Xbox 360, 4 Feb 2009
Mr. C. Church - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halo 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Halo3 is probably the best game you could for a new xbox 360 and especially if like myself you are completely new to the xbox system. The graphics in halo are excellent along with gameplay and story. Multiplayer is okay but i mainly use it to muck about with my mates on forge. Don't be put off by people saying that the story is very complex as it only takes a short while to get a decent understanding. Overall Halo 3 is probably one of the single best video games of all time bar a few ( i love GTA IV and GOW 2)and should definitely be the first game you get with a new xbox 360 system.

Halo 3 (Xbox 360)
Halo 3 (Xbox 360) by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
9.99