5.0 out of 5 stars "You have to remember him in your heart!"
This absolutely gorgeous re-imagining of Lassie brings the story back to its roots, reclaiming Eric Knight's 1940 novel about the famously determined collie's obstacle-ridden trek from Scotland and Yorkshire to rejoin the bereft young master, whose down-on-their-luck parents were forced to sell his best friend to the rich to pay for food.

Visually sweeping,...
Published on 9 Dec 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Magical film, but the swearing surprised me
This new version of Lassie is really rather magical, from the sighting in Loch Ness to the Christmas eve scene.

The only thing that spoilt it for me were the "bloodies". Is it me or should a film aimed essentially at children contain language like this?
Published on 4 Jun 2006 by David Morley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars "You have to remember him in your heart!", 9 Dec 2006
This review is from: Lassie [DVD] [2005] (DVD)

Visually sweeping, beautifully paced with some of the most understated acting I've seen, Lassie would have to be one of the most emotionally heartbreaking films to come out in recent years not just in its portrayal of this willful and loyal canine who is determined to come home, but in its comments about class and kindness and the uncertain dread that hangs over England on the eve of World War 2.

When the local coal mine closes, Yorkshire coal miner Sam Carraclough (John Lynch) and his stoic and kindly wife Sarah (Samantha Morton) have no option but to sell their son Joe's (Jonathan Mason) beloved dog Lassie to the dotty Duke of Rudling (Peter O'Toole). Spied on a foxhunt, the Duke decides this spirited girl will make a fine pet for his granddaughter Cilla (Hester Odgers) while also hoping to use her to breed some offspring.

Lassie however, has other ideas and keeps escaping from his new kennel and returning home to his beloved master Joe. Fed up, the Duke takes him all the way to Scotland where she has to endure the supervision of His Lordship's repellent kennel supervisor (Steve Pemberton).

But Cilla helps spring Lassie loose, which begins a long, perilous journey back to Yorkshire where she has lots of adventures in town and country - some good and some bad - and where she hooks up with a kindly traveling player (Peter Dinklage, doing great work here) and his lovable dog.

From the outset the film makes the most of the gorgeous English vistas from Scotland, through the Midlands to Yorkshire as Lassie makes his perilous journey back home. Director Charles Sturrage really brings out the stories themes of loyalty and love and courage whilst also never shying away from the fact that while Lassie endures much, these are also hard times for England.

The acting is superlative, with O'Tool, Dinklage, and Lynch and of course the lovely Samantha Morton being standouts - their characters aware that sacrifices must be made, yet they also come to realize the healing power of love. Modest, unpretentious and magnificently told, this version of Lassie will ensure that there is nary a dry eye to be had. Mike Leonard December 06.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem!, 4 Nov 2013
Adrian Drew (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lassie [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
This high bit rate transfer does this gem of a movie proud. Beautifully written, staged, directed,designed and acted - this new veand re-imagined version of a classic story (written and directed by the director of Brideshead Revisited) is very impressive indeed. As much about class divide and social injustice as it is about canine friendship, this moving and absorbing production - blessed with awe-inspiring photography, and particularly impressive performances from the dogs and the young lad, is bound to delight many parents and youngsters too - but be aware there is some gritty realism and plenty of tearful moments on route for all concerned! The extras are a delight - particularly the training and audition sequences. Buy and "enjoy" but don't forget to have plenty of tissues on hand - you'll certainly need them - and expect more "realism" than is usual in this "children's" film which makes a clear but subtle statement about the absurd privileges and injustices inherent in the class system.

5.0 out of 5 stars a future classic for sure, 13 Dec 2008
Adrian "adrianjfrost" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lassie [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
We first encountered this film in a holiday home we had rented, and our kids insisted on watching it every day ! We had gone to Keswick just before Christmas so we did expect a little bit of TV watching while we were away - our kids were absolutely enthralled with this, at 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 you might think them too young to know what is going on, we get lots of questions from our eldest and it is now most definitely second to Toy Story/Toy Story with our two. It's a good family film too, but to be fair after the second watching we left the kids to it (are we bad parents?)

As soon as we got home we ordered our own copy, and we fully expect it to come out every few weeks to be watched again and again

All in all, great stuff and well worth getting for anyone with young children, though expect a few difficult conversations about why some people are nasty and others not, dying, and what owning/selling an animal means

4.0 out of 5 stars **** LASSIE COMES HOME ****, 20 Mar 2007
Mr. N. Carnegie (Kirkcaldy, Scotland, UK.) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lassie [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I bought this for my daughter and we sat and watched it together and both loved it. It is a surprisingly good family movie with a superb all star (mostly) British/Irish cast, including Peter O'Toole, Samantha Morton, John Lynch, Kelly MacDonald, Nicholas Lyndhurst, Robert Hardy, Edward Fox, Gregor Fisher and Steve Pemberton (The League of Gentlemen) who makes a fantastic bad guy.

It is a traditional heartwarming family story of a boy being seperated from his dog and overcoming exceptional odds and many hurdles to be re-united. It has highs and lows, beautiful scenery and some great performances. Certain to pull on the old heart strings this is one I highly recommend for all family viewing. A surprising little gem, everybody I have loaned this to has loved it but you'll need to buy some tissues as there wont be a dry eye left in the house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grab your tissues, 15 May 2006
D Brett "dabmim" (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lassie [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Any pet lover will shed a tear at this new version of the old classic Lassie. Lassie has changed not one iota if only we all aged so gracefully. The story revolves around a young boy who loves his dog - Lassie but times get hard when his father is laid off from the mines and Lassie is subsequently sold.

The dog is shipped of to Scotland but will he's homing instinct allow him to make it back to his original home further south? Or will Lassie die along the way?

My wife loves a weepy and was crying near enough all the way through the film, where as I being so much tougher (yeah right) only shed one tear!

If you liked the old Lassie stories or if you like a weepy then this film is for you...Not my type of film as a rule but I made an exception and enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely 'family' film, 23 April 2006
This review is from: Lassie [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Okay so its predictable but what else would you expect from a Lassie film? obviously the story is going to be about the adventures of the dog.

I am not a fan of the older lassie films but really enjoyed this one, it even had me shouting at the tv, egging Lassie on in her escape attempts.

A nice family film, quite exciting, a must for dog lovers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lassie DVD, 8 Jun 2014
L. J. Crawley (LETCHWORTH, HERTS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lassie [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Very entertaining film ...Very entertaining film ...Very entertaining film....Very entertaining film....Very entertaining film
we all liked it, very good ...especially for children

5.0 out of 5 stars Firm favourite, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Lassie [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
My son went through a phase of Lassie obsession and this is his and my favourite version. I enjoy the no-nonsense Yorkshire Englishness of this version, a refreshing change from the Hollywood type movies. I would recommend a parent watch it first in case the odd "damn" or "bloody" is not to their liking, there is also a scene of violence towards a dog that is well done by mostly implying rather actually showing anything but could upset some kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lassie, 25 Nov 2013
Lassie, great film with feel good factor.excellent service and delivery, would recommend buying this film from this seller, what more can I say.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved the film, hated the swearing, 29 Jan 2007
Debbie King (Southport, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lassie [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
This was on at our local cinema last Saturday, and, as parents go free I thought I'd endure it for the sake of some cheap entertainment for my 7 year old daughter.

I was amazed by how much we both enjoyed the film - I was expecting some trite American nonsense, but it was rather magical.

However, I have to agree with the reviewer above - the first line of the film has Peter O'Toole shouting "Bugger", and there were an awful lot of "Damn"s and "Bloody"s too - NOT what I want my daughter to hear. Despite what some may think, I work at my daughter's school and this is NOT the sort of language that she encounters there or at home.

The swearing was perhaps included to make the film sound more gritty and northern - it was unnecessary.

Gorgeous dogs - and the dog that played Toots deserved a best supporting Oscar - I was in tears.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Lassie [DVD] [2005]
Lassie [DVD] [2005] by Charles Sturridge (DVD - 2006)