5.0 out of 5 stars Ennis and Jack
Love has no rules. It happens when we least expect it, often when we don't want it, many times when we can't handle it. It often times scares you, surprises you, shakes you down to your very core. Ennis Del Mar (a remarkable Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (an emotionally available Jake Gyllenhaal) find themselves thrown together because of a job: forced to spend many hours...
Published on 13 July 2006 by MICHAEL ACUNA

3.0 out of 5 stars BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN : BLU RAY
While I have no arguments with the film, which is excellent both in itself and as a blu ray, I do have a problem with the audio on this version of the film. When reading reviews this blu ray appeared to come with a DTS-HD Master Audio track. however, this seems to be case if you have the American Universal release - this version is from Entertainment in Video and features...
Published on 13 July 2012 by A. Mattesini

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance with a difference, 3 Feb. 2011
Sue Lewendon "Film fanatic" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
This is a true masterpiece. It's a beautiful love story between two men set in 1963-1980's against the spectacular backdrop of Brokeback Mountain.

Innis, (Ledger), and Jack, (Gyllenhaal), meet in the summer of 1963 where they get jobs working herding sheep up the mountain. They become fast friends although Innis is a much quieter person than Jack. Pretty soon they're up all night drinking and laughing, until one night they find themselves sharing the tent that's meant for only one, you can pretty much guess what happens next but, what transpires is done in a very tasteful manner.

I won't go any further with the plot because it would be a shame to spoil it for you. Just know that my 17 year old son watched it with me and although he was a little uncomfortable at the start, he was soon as glued to it as I was. He gave it a 9/10 stars and he's usually pretty harsh when it comes to rating films!

This is such a touching account of love that it really does tug at your heart strings. The supporting cast are brilliant too, especially Michelle Williams who plays Alma, Innis' wife, and there's a smaller part filled by Anne Hathaway as Jack' wife. Also we have Randy Quaid, (brother to Dennis if you didn't already know that!), who plays the young Jack and Innis' boss. He's perfect, nothing like his usual loony self which is great to see.

To wrap it up then, buy this movie if you like a good story of love and passion all told with a sympathy for the characters. This is by no means a romantic comedy, but I promise you'll enjoy it just as much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will haunt you, 17 Oct. 2008
Delhaye Nunes De Sousa (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Perhaps what the Ang Lee's movie should be praised for is its tone. The intimate plot overwhelms the immense scenery. A metaphor for what you should do in life: Don't let opportunities pass you by. No matter what, love rules our lives and our decisions. Jack Twist knew what he wanted and never got it. Enis del Mar, wasn't sure and lost it forever. The supposedly undertone works marvelously since all the inner feelings are for the audience to feel. We don't see tear jerking scenes (so easily there could be a "throwing of the ashes" scene over Brokeback... but, fortunately, it never happens) but all the sensitiveness is contained within the silences. Never before what isn't said is more important that what is told. It's a movie that will haunt you for a long time. But that's good; I don't want to let it go any way...

5.0 out of 5 stars Aspects of my life writ large, 21 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
As a girl growing up with a father struggling with his sexuality, this film was an acutely painful insight into the world of love and torment he must have gone through to finally come out to himself, and eventually others. Here too was a portrait of my mother who knew my dad had a male lover, but could not (or would not) confront it.
Here too, in the aged and lonely Ennis, I see my father as he is now - trying to reconnect with his daughter. This film hurt me more than I can say for its beauty, brutality, and intimacy in the face of thoughts, experiences and feelings I have held onto in silence for so long. It's the adult's eye view of my childhood around my father, the missing pieces of the jigsaw that have enabled me to see him now as a whole person and not just as the man who abandoned us in every possible way.
It's the film I will show my own children to help them understand the home I came from, the scars I still bear, and the beliefs and values in my heart.
A stunning and raw film for anyone in the process of coming to terms with a parent's sexuality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than I expected!!!!!, 10 Jan. 2007
M. Bentham "Life is 4 Living!" (London. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Proof again that you really must not judge things based on others comments!

I had heard some pretty mixed reviews about this film - and was also under the assumption that there were no graphic love making scences. However, the opening, and only love-making scene between the 2 male characters surprised me because although alot of it was left up to your imagination it was pretty up front!

These 2 men acted with great sensitivity and on occasions no dialogue was used simply the powerful acting of these 2 men said it al you needed to knowl!!

The scenery is to die for - beautiful, beautiful....

Great film with a powerful story-line that confirms conventional or not, love can be a powerful thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not a gay cowboy movie, it's a gay shepherd movie...., 17 Jun. 2006
C. Cooney - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Ok, this film isn't for car chase fans, that much is clear.

Anyone who's watched (or maybe read) kinsey knows how much more varied most people's sexual experience than what is considered 'normal'. Bear that in mind and this relationship stops seeming unusual and starts to be a hell of a lot more poignant. How many men and rejected wives have suffered in silence because of what was expected of them? Heath Ledger's performance is stunning as a man trapped inside his own fears. It just breals your heart, it really does.

I think it's worth answering some of the negative remarks made by other reviewers.

Yes, these men betray their wives- but that is not presented as an easy decision for them - and what is being discussed here is the social pressure which forces two people who could have lived happily, in love, to instead deny themselves and try to conform.

Yes, Heath Ledger mumbles in his Southern drawl - his taciturnity is one the primary features of his character.

Yes, the film moves slowly - that's because this is a gentle love story, not die hard. Get over it.

The sad thing is, a lot of men ought to see this and most of them won't go. I'm reduced to sitting watching this by myself because my bloke point blank refuses to to. It's his loss.

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern day fairytale for adults, 28 Jan. 2008
Michael Mackenzie "lovejoy26" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Brokeback Mountain is one of those rare special films that has an ability to connect with the viewer on a very personal & private level. It manages to stir up emotions hidden deep inside most of us, in a strangely unsettling way. We can all associate with the humdrum of daily life; dirty nappies, screaming kids, money worries, family troubles etc etc. Ang Lee offers us an escape from all this drudgery into an adult fairytale environment of stunning landscapes, wilderness & a sense of real adventure. Up here in the beautiful wilderness, there are no society boundaries, no rules, no prejudices, no possessions, no distractions. The love story that develops is based on raw emotion, at the purest level. Brokeback Mountain is every adults dream. The gay twist is secondary, the theme applies to everyone. Definitely one of the best movies ever made & deserves the countless awards. Anybody who is not moved by this film, really must have a heart of stone.

5.0 out of 5 stars definition of modern great storytelling, Brokeback mountain is a modern classic, 14 Feb. 2009
S. J. Pinder "scifihorror fan" (Cornwall,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
The late Heath Ledger will be missed for years to come, since this film he portrayed to a superbly stunning effect the villain and criminal mastermind The Joker in (arguably the greatest film of 2008) The Dark Knight,I'm Not There showed Heath protraying to a superb effect the biopic of iconic singer Bob Dylan, and is about to guest in his final role in Terry Gilliams film The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus due out later this year (with co stars and beloved friends-Johnny Depp, Colin Farrel, and Jude Law).
having seen the late and fantastic actors aforementioned films and hearing (a year ago) the devastating news about his passing i decided to reminisce by watching his previous works, Brokeback Mountain is an remarkable storyline and arguably is Heath Ledger's signature role.
Heath acted off Jake Gyllenhall to a superb effect throughout this film, while Anne Hatheway and Michelle Williams made exceptional supporting roles as the lead character's wives.
the tale is an interweiving yarn of human emotion exposed, the emotion and power of Heath and Jake's ability of power acting makes their relationship in the film extremely powerful and genuinely reaches out to grasp your heart and genuinly brings out true emotion of audiences watching this film, Crash tried this and criminally Brokeback Mountain lost out to that mediocre film as Film Of The Year at the oscars, Brokeback for me is the out and out winner of that year, this story is more than a romance, it's an exploration of true love and what it entails for those around them, the ups and the downs of having a relationship that was seemingly forbidden in those harsh times in the 40's-60's, Brokeback not only had the phenominal power of enthralling audiences with the genuine power of these two lead actors but also brough out the message of same sex relationshps and to fight against discrimination even in these now accepting times.
this is a true classic and one of the greatest films ever made, not only through the two amazing leads here, but it's supporting cast, the scripting and the artistic use of American scenery to flesh out the otherwise stunning storytelling.
Heath ,from a fan of your work, you will sorely be missed and your power of acting in your films contains enough power to live on through the years to come.
bless you who have bough this film, if not please purchase this film today, it will give you a different perspective of life and bring out emotions never felt before in any other film of a similar genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brokeback Mountain, 14 April 2006
This review is from: Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
On first hearing about Brokeback Mountain, my friends and I eagerly awited the release. Not because we were genuinly interested in the movie.... Oh no! But for the novelty of a story about gay cowboys. Being teenagers, we took the immature approach that a love story about men is just weird.

However, from the very opening of the film until the credits went up at the end, we were engulfed by how beatiful the story is.

When watching the film (or readig the book by Annie Proulx) the viewer or reader respectively leaves behind any scathing thoughts which they may have possesed about the story. This film is not just about gay cowboys. It portrays a love affair destroyed by the cruel society which was a reality in the 1960's (and unfortuantely somtimes today).

From the minute I left the cinema in floods of tears I have been enchanted by this truly incredible film. It is not often I would be so complimentary about anything.

If you haven't already seen this film, my advice for you is to get it on DVD.... you won't regret it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Never been so immersed in a film.. Haunting, 19 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
This film will have a powerful effect on you if you ever have been, or are currently struggling to accept your sexual orientation - You will identify with either Ennis or Jack, but either way the style of direction and incredible acting in the lead roles leaves you thinking about the tragedy of this film long after seeing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars just beautiful, 25 Jun. 2006
C. hope - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I watched this film after every body i know had raved about it, and it still exceeded my expectations. The story stayed with me for days, and touched my heart. The Director has created a truly beautiful and tragic love story, with a subtle touch. Both main performances draw you in completely and leave you desolate that their love could never fully evolve. Utterly superb and definately one for my all-time top ten favourite films!

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›

Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005]
Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005] by Ang Lee (DVD - 2006)