4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, great music!
Published on 2 Nov 2006 by R. Ansell

3.0 out of 5 stars The Prodigal Son Returns
Published on 5 Oct 2007 by M. A. Ramos

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, great music!, 2 Nov 2006
R. Ansell (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gospel [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I really enjoyed this film, sure it wasn't an Oscar winner but then very few Christian bias films are! The story is really that of the prodigal son returning after his time away living it up. The film looks at issues surrounding Christians and the temptations & arguments they face on a daily basis. What I love about this film is the fact that the son is given the chance to redeem himself, I am sure some religous people would never have a 'sinner' at the front of church involved in worship but the truth is that the Father welcomes the son and restores him back to his position...isn't that what Jesus preached. Anyways, the full versions of the songs on the DVD are great, the storyline is good & the acting sufficient. All in all a feel good movie worth watching, I'm sure faults can be found in it but it is hard to portray the Christian live in all its facets!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 18 July 2006
M. A. Clarke "Ree" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gospel [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I thought this movie really captured the policics that can happen within the modern-day gospel church. It also had some original story lines not to mention a fantastic current gospel cast. I love the song Victory by Yolanda Adams. You will not be disappointed. A great movie!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Prodigal Son Returns, 5 Oct 2007
M. A. Ramos (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This movies plot line is simple and old, it is as I titled my review, the return of the prodigal son retold. The son who turns his back on the church and his family is David Taylor, played by Boris Kodjoe. The son of a pastor he loses his faith when his mother dies feeling that God and his father let him down. He and his best friend Charles Frank played by Idris Elba were both studying to become reverends.

David leaves and we jump forward fifteen years, and becomes a very popular secular singing idol. We see his decadent life style where he wants for nothing. But then he gets a call that his father is ill and he heads back home. His father is played well by Clifton Powell. And by this time his best friend Charles is a self-centered egocentric man that is using the church to try and promote himself. The real story is to give us a look inside of black church society and at the same time it is a story of redemption for both of these young men. The gospel music does add to the film. It changes along with the times and what is transpiring within the church community.

So we have a low budget film about morality, faith, hope and recovery with some good original gospel music. The acting was not great and the plot line did have some holes for the supporting cast. But the story line of the main character is engaging and entertaining. So as other have said, just sit back and enjoy this simple tale.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Prodigal Son, 29 Jan 2007
This review is from: The Gospel [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I thought this film was excellent - the worship was good and just to see how it started, how he lost his way and then found it I thoroughly enjoyed

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, honest and uplifiting!, 19 Oct 2006
B. Hull (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gospel [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I thought this film was fantastic. I'm writing from a Christian point of view on this. But I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the many issues Christians face, and the problems that can occur in Churches, in an incredibly well made film. The acting was good. It wasn't award winning acting, but it was by no means bad.

It's an excellent video, that Christians can enjoy, without cringing. This video is down to earth, and realistic, but at the same time is full of hope and redemption.

I don't know if a non-christian would be able to relate to what happens in this video, but the story is still worth seeing, and still entertaining.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent feedback, 3 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Gospel [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
This DVD was well worth buying, excellent storyline. Straight away you can see that this movie is based around the prodigcal son, have already watched it twice and would recommend to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 19 Sep 2010
First of all the title of this movie is completely misleading. It has nothing to do with God or the gospel. It is entirely concerned with the ego's, personal agendas, selfish ambitions and pride of human beings. These are real issues that need to be addressed but they shouldn't promote the film as being something that it is not.

As a huge fan of the The Wire I expected another brilliant performance from Idris Elba but it wasn't forthcoming. That's not really his fault, it's more to do with the script, which was stilted and full of cliches. The preaching wasn't even a realistic reflection of what you will see if you skim through the various US black preaches on the Christian TV channels.

Overall I found this film loooooooong, drawn out and boring, the only highlights were a couple of the musical numbers, in particular "Sing", and Yolanda Adams / Fred Hammond.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother..., 16 April 2010
This review is from: The Gospel [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I really dislike giving low ratings. I do try and find some redeeming feature of the film or book but, I rented this a while ago and was really looking forward to it - especially as it features the gorgeous Idris Alba. What a disappointment! I was totally frustrated waiting for SOMETHING to happen. I was expecting intrigue and suspense, angst and treachery - and then the redemption, justice and love. The music was good but there was so much missing. It was as if the writer(s)/director were frightened to 'go there' because it was about 'church'. Idris's talent was wasted in this movie.

Looks good on the outside. Just a pretty shell, I'm afraid. Really - don't bother!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, Wow, Wow & Wow!!!!!, 15 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Gospel [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
This film is absoluley brillant!!!! The beginning is bit....."boring" but once yo get into the film you just cant look away! It has some very catchy songs e.g "Victory" by Yolanda Adams and many more. at the end it made me cry, and I don't normally cry at films but this one I did....and the weird thing is, is I don't know why I was crying!!!

I would recommend this film to anyone, but no younger then say.....11.

BRIILANT FILM!!! A must buy!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE GOSPEL, 4 July 2009
This review is from: The Gospel [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
This film is brilliant, I love the way in which it shows that even though you can walk away from the church, you can't walk away from God.
Even though he made a good enough life for himself, he later used this same talent to help the church out of a difficult situation.
I loved every second of it. Will watch it again and again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Gospel [DVD] [2005]
The Gospel [DVD] [2005] by Michael J. Pagan (DVD - 2006)
4.95