5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing music to the people
This is my first amazon review, so please bear with me. Also, I'm Norwegian, so I hope there aren't to many spelling errors.

Anyway...

First of all, I'm really impressed with Amazon.co.uk's delivery time. Even with the "super-saver" delivery it only took 2 days from order to they were delivered.(to UK address) Impressive!!!

As for the...
Published on 26 Mar 2007 by Tor Michael Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but fiddly to get right
I read the other reviews on this product and decided that I'd go for them.

Initially I felt they were inferior to the bog standard Ipod earphones. The depth of sound, base etc was missing. To quote another reviewer they were tinny.

But then I started to mess around with the ear buds and the placement of the earphones in the ear. After some tweaking I...
Published on 23 Feb 2007 by Carl Poulton

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing music to the people, 26 Mar 2007
Tor Michael Smith (Trondheim, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser CX300-B High Quality Stereo Ear-Canal Headphones - Black (Accessory)

Anyway...

As for the headphones, having used them for just over a week now, I really can't understand how I have survived without. Apple should be ashamed of themselves, as these Sennheiser's kick the Apple buds right back to the stoneage. The bass is rich and deep, the quiet parts of songs are given new life as you keep on noticing things that before were drowned out, and the vocals are clear and crisp. These headphones truly are allrounders, and cope just as well with Damien Rice and classical music as they do with AC/DC and Guns 'n' Roses.

Please, take your time to find the correct sleeves for YOUR ears, for me the smallest ones fit best. If you don't your music will be tinny and sound horrible. Some of the reviewers here haven't understood this, it looks like.

The 'phones are lightweight and feel solid, and also come with a 2-year warranty, which is nice. And be assured, they are not difficult to place in your ear, although if does feel a bit strange the first couple of times. Also, dirt is easily removed with a damp cloth, or just using your finger.

As with all ear-canal earphones, some sound is sent up the leads when you move around, and sure, you can hear yourself eat. But this is only a problem until you press play.

They do a good job of blocking out the sounds around you, as well as saving the people around you having to listen to your music. This makes them perfect for use on trains, planes or in a busy office environment.

However, I do not recommend using them whilst running, as you cannot hear what is going on around you, which can be dangerous both for you and the people around you.

I now feel I have the perfect combination of portable headphones, as I already own a pair of wonderful Koss Porta-Pros. The two fulfill each other, and make me one happy camper.

At 16, these Sennheisers are a true steal!! I guess quality does come cheap in some cases. They are actually cheaper here than at amazon.com. I think I might buy another couple of pairs, they make great presents.

Hope my writeup wasn't a total waste of time.

Rgds.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE: fake ones sold on Amazon Marketplace, 20 Feb 2007
First I bought these on the Amazon Markertplace (from a trusted seller). I was pretty dissapointed by the sound quality (not too bad really, but not the expected Sennheiser quality). Also, they were quite uncomfortable and made crackling noises. So I got pretty suspicious and I googled some pictures of fake ones, and compared those with my CX300. Mine looked perfectly like the real ones, and even the packaging seemed right.

Untill I read about the cable lenght. When I measured mine they were L:250 mm; R:470 mm, 106cm from divider to plug. Real Sennheisers should measure L: 170 mm; R:510 mm, and 85 cm divider to plug. So I returned mine to the seller and received a full refund.

This morning I received another set of CX300 headphones, and this time they are the REAL thing. The sound quality is much better, and they are much more comfortable. SO BEWARE OF THE FAKE ONES SOLD ON AMAZON MARKETPLACE! If you are dissapointed about your CX300's, first check the cable lenght to find out if they are real.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats iPod earphones hands-down, 2 Sep 2006
G. Wilson (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
After having used my iPod earphones that came supplied with the iPod itself for the last 2 years, I felt it was time to finally upgrade them. I had never been a fan of Apple's attempt at earphones as they had developed a magnetic rattle on the second day of use, when using them to listen to bass-heavy songs.

The Sennheiser CX300's in comparison are absolutely brilliant. Sound quality through all ranges is clear and bass comes across especially well, without being too dominant. They give a real punch in the bass when it's required and an overall smooth sound. The CX300's come with three sizes of ear-plug adapters to enable the earphone to fit right inside the ear canal. Some people may not like the small extra hassle of finding the optimum position every time they want to listen to their music, however the end results are far better than any earphones I have used to date. Their ability to dampen external noise is also a plus especially for use in busy environments such as the gym or about town.

Overall these are an exceptional pair of headphones for the price that make listening to any portable music device much more enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for cycling!!, 20 May 2006
Simon Maxwell (UK) - See all my reviews
I have never been a fan of in-ear phones until now! I have always been a fan of Sennheiser headphones though.

Recently I bought a bike (cycle) and decided to look for headphones that you can wear with a cycle helmet. After extensive browsing I came accross the CX300. I was a bit wary about in-ear phones as all the ones I have tried in the past are uncomfortable and make my ears hurt after a while, but looking at the CX300 I decided to take a chance.

After they arrived I tried them with all 3 sizes of the rubber ear pads, but was unsure at first. I decided the middle size was best to try properly. For the first 5 minutes you can tell they are there, but stick some music on and after a few minutes you forget they are there. They are VERY comfortable, though I haven't tried them for long periods of time yet (max so far 1hr).

Physical points about the CX300 - Great solid build as with all Sennheiser headphones I have had. The rubber pads are a little thin but are very flexible for a proper fit. The cable strain relief where the wire goes into the phones is very flexible and quite long so it should stop the wire from breaking internally. They do come with a 2 year warranty so should the ear pad rip or cable break, it should'nt be a problem getting a replacement.

Audio points - The bass is amazing!! Its like having a sub-woofer in your ears, but not violent bass pressure. Very smooth bass response for such tiny units. The midrange is what you would expect from Sennheiser - Very clear, sharp sound that make vocals flourish. I do feel the top-end lacks a little though, but only a little. It may be that the balance of sound is geared more towards the mid-low or it may just be me that likes that little bit more top-end. Overall I am very impressed with the sound quality.

Overall opinion - They are great for when I am on my bike. They fit comfortably, and don't drop out when I am bouncing up and down on trails and on the road. The sound is fantastic though more attention could have been made to the top-end. I was a bit wary about fact that they are ear-canal phones and this type of earphone cuts out a lot of ambient noise, but these don't. They do attenuate the ambient noise, but not too much so when I am on my bike I can still hear cars etc.

If you want a full size Hi-Fi sound in your ears then get these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones at an excellent price, 4 May 2007
I'm you about two weeks ago - looking around the reviews for alternative iPod earphones. I spent ages weighing them up - do I shell out serious money for the Shure? Are there any reasonably priced headphones that work well? Is there really anything bad with the normal Apple ones? The answer to these questions are: the Shures are very good, the best even, but not worth the money if you're just listening to music on your way into work in my opinion. Yes, there are reasonably priced earphones that work, the Sennheisers being one of them. And as to the last question, after upgrading the bad points of the Apple headphones are instantly obvious.

I'd advise anyone thinking of buying these to ask themselves if they can manage with the headphones in their ears. It's quite intimate. It's no problem for me, but just look a couple of reviews down and you'll see someone who hates it (actually that person says they paid 5 so I think they may have bought one of the many fake pairs out there which would explain the poor experience he had). The actual sound from the headphones is excellent - namely the bass. The Apple ones were so full of high frequencies that on hearing the genius that is Carlos D's bass on Interpol tracks I had to just stop and listen to how good it sounded. It takes a little bit of getting used to the increase in low frequencies, but this is how the music was meant to be heard and by god once you've adjusted you'll love it. The headphones also cut out 90% of ambient noise meaning you can switch the volume down even if on the tube or bus. My ears say thank you. My only criticism is that when you're walking you can hear the noise through the headphones but this is a general in-ear headphone issue so I'm not sure how you can hold that against Sennheiser. So to summarise, if you're looking for a reasonably priced pair of headphones that perform well, you've found them here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Put a smile on my face, 24 April 2006
Jonathan Lowe (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
As a newcomer to the iPod, I've been so disappointed with the quality of the earphones supplied, like many others.

Finally came across these by accident and, having experienced the quality of Sennheiser headphones before, made a spontaneous decision to purchase a pair.

It's one of my better spontaneous purchase decisions.

I can now use my iPod for extended periods without my ears starting to ache; the quality is so, so much better. I'm not a sound engineer or music guru but I can't imagine why I'd want to spend any more money on a set of earphones - these are as good as I'll ever need.

I've heard parts of music tracks that I never previously knew existed, and they block out background noise pretty well.

They are well built and look durable compared to some of the others I looked at.

The only down side - and the reason they get 4 stars rather than 5 - is the lack of a carry case that is supplied with some of the alternatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars a vast improvement on my ipod earphones, 6 Oct 2006
I was looking for new earphones as I work in an open plan office and I wanted something that would block out the noise without me having to whack up the volume. And these work. Volume on my ipod is now much lower and I've turned down the bass. My eardrums are now better protected. As some of the reviewers have said - they take a bit of getting used to - I've discovered I have little ear canals as well as little ears! But end of day 1 and I'm used to them - although I had to set my mobile on vibrate or I miss the calls (an upside). One downside - eating something crunchy is perhaps an activity to avoid while wearing them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 21 Aug 2006
Mr. P. Ogden (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought these to replace my Sony MDR-EX71 which were falling apart due to a common fault - the covering for the wires was rotting away. The Sennheiser phones are both cheaper and give a much clearer sound and more bass and are the best headphones I have ever owned. Very good value for money and I am hoping that the rubber covering will not rot like the Sony ones. they seem a sturdier build. If you buy these, I am sure you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound but be careful what you buy!, 10 Mar 2007
A. Ferguson (South coast UK) - See all my reviews
I bought a pair of these from Amazon Marketplace. They sounded terrible. Flabby, ill defined bass and piercing, spitty treble. Then I read other reviews regarding lead length. Mine didn't measure up... Bought another pair from Amazon direct. The packaging was almost exactly the same, even down to the bar codes but they were different in these easy to spot ways:

1. Lead length.

2. The rubber ear adaptor on the Sennheisers is thicker good quality rubber and a different shape and fit to the plasticky bungs on the others.

3. The jack plug on the Sennheisers is soft textured rubber and dark grey as opposed to the jet black plastic of the others.

4th and most importantly is the sound quality. The Sennheisers are great. They take a little while to get used to, you have to cram them right into your lughole for a nice tight fit, which is important for deep bass. Once I'd got the right size bung fitted I tested them with two different MP3 players, where they sounded excellent, but the real test was in a top notch Hi-Fi setup through a seperate headphone amp. I have two different pairs of top end Sennheiser 'phones and the sound of these tiny and stylish ear buds is right up there with the big boys: Deep, well controlled bass, midband where it should be, smooth but detailed treble and a spacious sound stage. They are comfortable and light too, and after a while you don't know you're wearing them unlike full size headphones which can be a little bulky especially if you have your head on a pillow. Cable handling noise was low, but dont forget to put them on and then pass the long lead over your head! This way the cable lies neatly over your left shoulder away from the front of your body, just right for you to slip your portable player in your breast pocket. I use a Sennheiser extension lead with a built in volume slider unit, and coupled with the earbuds, this is a really cheap way to hear your music at its best. So to sum up: Buy them, and not just for your MP3 player. But make sure you get the real deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, even after a full cycle!, 20 Aug 2006
D. Guinane - See all my reviews
I was very impresssed with these headphones when i purchased them, the sound quailty is great and they are very comfortable, the perfect end to my search for affordable quality headphones. However, i felt ihad to write this review when i found out that my mum accidentally washed my the headphones! they still work perfectly, much to my suprise, another reason to buy these great headphones!