5.0 out of 5 stars FANTIASTIC
Published on 26 April 2006 by Mrs. S. Cross

2.0 out of 5 stars Could Do Better Jack
I bought this for my wife's birthday as she is a big fan. All I can say is if you like the classic 'In Between Dreams' or 'on and On' as much as we do....DONT buy this.
One or two average tracks but the whole sesame street style is quite nauseating.
(When the remix of the 3R's came on I nearly through the cd across the room!)
I hope this is a one off and...
Published on 13 Feb 2006 by arnicholls

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTIASTIC, 26 April 2006
Mrs. S. Cross (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sing-A-Longs & Lullabies For The Film Curious George (Audio CD)
Ide never heard of Jack Johnnson until my hubby told me to buy his yellow cd which was actually the In Between Dreams one, and I bought this one instead it is brilliant. I had no idea it was songs from a childrens film, but does explain why my 8 year old son loves it so much, we play it over and over again, and the lyrics are fantastic. I have gone on to buy his other cd's as well and love them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack on top form, 17 Jun 2006
Mr. A. J. Fairley "fairleee" (Tonbridge) - See all my reviews
I have been a Jack Johnson fan since he released Brushfire Fairytales, and so when I learnt that he was releasing a movie soundtrack I was intrigued. Johnson has made films before; he is well-regarded among surfers for his iconic film "Thicker than Water". I was assuming that the soundtrack would be for a surfing film or some such - I was therefore surprised to learn that it was for a children's film.

However, I was certainly not disappointed. For those of you unfamiliar with Johnson's work, he plays (usually) acoustic guitar with a strong blues-y baseline and simple rhythms. There is good variation in his work; it ranges from great happy summer tunes that are perfect to listen to whilst chilling on the beach; to wonderful blues; to soul searching ballads. His lyrics are fantastic and full of meaning, with plenty to relate to.

This album is wonderful. The first track, "Upside Down" is really uplifting and enjoyable to listen to. There is a great mix between "adult songs" and "children's songs", so there is something for everyone. The children's songs are great fun to listen to and will be loved by kids of all ages and the rest of the songs are Jack on the top of his form.

For those disappointed by the heavier, faster style of In Between Dreams, you will be pleased to know that Johnson makes a return to his more acoustic and blues-y past in a number of songs on this album, with the penultimate song, "Supposed To Be" One of the best on the album and one of the best of his career. You will find yourself addicted to the simple yet excellent piano in it.

I have not seen the film and I have no idea how the soundtrack works in context to it, but I can tell you that this is a great CD to buy whether you are a Jack fan or not, and you will not find yourself disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An album to make you smile..., 27 Jun 2006
Kevin (Leeds) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought this disc on the strength of the single, Upside Down, which is a perfect way to start the album. The album is an upbeat, summery musical treat. Largely aimed at children due to the film it's been recorded for, the songs have real integrity that music lovers of any age can appreciate. The superb artwork that accompanies the disc makes the whole album a joy to behold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack Johnson - Rennaissance Man, 6 Mar 2006
Ive been a fan of Jack's Music for a few years now and im constantly amused and inspired by his lyrical stylings. Through his label Brushire Records the folk/rock market has never been so vibrant producing excellent artists such as ALO and Donovan Frankenreiter to name but a few.
This album shows yet another facet to his songwriting capabilities; produced originally for his son and children who are fans of the Curious George cartoon I can safely say that there are gonna be scores of adults who cant remove this album from their CD player. unashamedly i count myself in this category.
This album uses collaborations a lot more than previous JJ albums but it is to good effect. G-Love and Matt Costa make excellent contributions to a very viable record. The outstanding tracks for me are "broken" and "wrong turn"...but again every track deserves some time and im sure this will prove to be an excellent taster for forthcominng albums.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, 22 Feb 2006
I think people who have given this album a bad review, dont realize that this album is intended for children. It's a soundtrack to play in your car or at home for the little ones. I really really love it, it's playful and fun and also educational.
Brushfire Fairytales will also reign supreme as Jack's best album, this album is really rather good. The songs get stuck in your head, esp. 3 R's which at the beginning was quite annoying is now rather hum-worthy.
If you love Jack and his awesome music, this is really worth it. Anything by Jack is worth buying. Go out and buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining!, 6 April 2006
P. R. Britten "esiotort" (Southwold) - See all my reviews
Remembering that this album is set to accompany a childs animated film, this album is easily on par with all of Johnsons previous albums.
In my opinion, 'On and On' is his best, and although really I shouldn't enjoy listening to this, I can't help but keep on playing it. Of course the tunes that Jack produces are incredibly samey, but that cannot be contributed as a negative; his laid back style of making music perfectly conpliments the film, the main character being a cute little monkey in a yellow banana-like hat. The main song on this album, is clearly The 3 R's, a song promoting Reducing, Reusing and Recycling. This song is on here for the educational purposes and obviously Jack Johnson himself set up the Hawaii Kokura Foundation, a foundation for the protction of Hawaii, and this song is to educate children the importance of recycling.
The best songs on the album are Jungle Gym, The 3 R's, The Sharing Stone, and People Watching.
Overall, this album is one for the little ones and he seems to enjoy singing with his friends.
A great album of great tracks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Children's Album EVER!, 23 Feb 2006
A. Kendall (UK) - See all my reviews
This CD is a MUST for all parents and teachers! It has fabulous poetic lessons put to the most gorgeous Jack Johnson music.
It won't drive you mad like some kids music does - in fact you'll beg your kids to play it over and over and over and over again and again and again and again!
THANK YOU JACK JOHNSON!!

4.0 out of 5 stars If you liked "In Between Dream" , you'll love this !, 20 May 2006
Mh Lewis (MAIDENHEAD, BERKS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It doesn't matter if you have kids or not - the songs are catchy and well-crafted to appeal to adults too ! From the new single "Upside Down" to "Three R's" there's enough here for devotees and new converts alike - our kids can't wait to see the film when released.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack Johnson, Curious George Soundtrack, 1 May 2007
Ruth Nuttall (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
I was first introduced to Jack Johnson, and indeed, this soundtrack, at Christmas, having been given the movie for my 3 year old. I play it over and over as it is such a lovely collection of songs. I was rather surprised and pleased when I went for a meal the other day to find it playing in the restaurant. Surprisingly, it was the perfect backdrop with its relaxing mellow tones and gentle rhythms. I haven't bought it on CD as yet but I plan to so i can listen to it non stop in my car!

A really enjoyable collection of songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars ...will be brought to you by the number 3 & letter R..., 17 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Curious George (Audio CD)
I've read a lot of reviews of this album that really pick out the "Sesame Street" element! Just remember that this IS a soundtrack to a kids' animated film & you'll be fine with it! There are 3 or 4 child friendly tracks, all pretty funky (how can Money Mark not be?!), but these are spread amongst some beautiful new Jack Johnson songs that wouldn't be out of place on any of his releases. Mix this with excellent collaborations with the likes of the brilliant Ben Harper, G Love et al - & it's really a good album! Don't listen to the cynics just enjoy!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›