4.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Racer for the PS3
Having not experienced the F1 feeling on a console for some time, nostalgia was one of my main reasons for picking up Championship Edition on launch day - and it hasn't disappointed. Graphically stunning and with enough gameplay and car mods to satisfy any fan of the sport, this game is a must buy for petrol-heads.

Jumping in with assists and racing line on is...
Published on 8 April 2007 by Stegofreak

3.0 out of 5 stars My biggest complaint is the AI
This game is generally very good. The graphics are superb, as are the sound effects. The driving physics are also pretty good most of the time.

Published on 2 April 2010 by R. James

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Racer for the PS3, 8 April 2007
This review is from: Formula One Championship Edition (PS3) (Video Game)

Jumping in with assists and racing line on is a great way to experience the joys of the game without having to worry about getting your braking perfect into corners. The graphics are amazing with realistic shadows and reflections adding that extra bit to the races - I've even found myself going out of my way not to spoil my cars paintwork with a slight nudge.

Turn up the heat by switching off assists and adding damage to create an amazing challenge to your driving skills. First corner pileups are frequent as you try to get that perfect braking point into the corner. Your car will take an extraordinary amount of damage (short of losing a wheel) and this adds that extra element as trips down the pit lane will cost you big.

Tired of taking on the all-be-it amazing AI? Why not jump online to take on racers from around the world? This definitely adds an extra element to the game and does a lot to break-up the linear quality of the one-player game. Rack up the points on specific servers and you'll place on their top drivers list, adding that extra competitive edge in an already competitive world.

Despite being one of the background launch titles for the PS3, Formula One Championship edition succeeds were others have failed - to really make us feel that Sony's next-gen system is here to compete.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is simply amazing!, 30 July 2007
This review is from: Formula One Championship Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
I'm not sure why everyone is so negative...As a hardcore F1 fan i think this game is actually amazing! The way they have made everything so realistic and actually do a proper race weekend...Its incredible realisim...For people who say its hard without the assits, its not hard you just have to learn how to drive it doesnt take long! with the assists turned on all you have to do is press go, which in my eyes is incredbly boring!

The carrer mode is exelent, where you start off with a few trials for lower classed teams then you work your way to better teams and up the championship...

In my eyes this game is the only reasen i want a ps3, as i am a 360 owner...but i play this alot round my mates.

5/5

3.0 out of 5 stars My biggest complaint is the AI, 2 April 2010
R. James - See all my reviews
This review is from: Formula One Championship Edition (PS3) (Video Game)

The most enjoyable game mode for me is Career Mode and I play it with full race distance, flags and penalties on and damage on and I use 'Hard' difficulty. This is not only because I wanted a realistic Formula 1 experience but because 'Easy' and 'Medium' are just so easy that you can win every race in the worst cars. Things get challenging on 'Hard' which exactly what we want in an F1 game.

If you're like me and you want it as realistic as possible, you too will want penalties, flags and damage on but be warned - the game goes over the top. Firstly, if you want flags you must also have penalties as they're the same option on the menu.

If you cut a corner by a clear mile you'll get a time penalty (probably 6 seconds) which is fair enough. But you'll also get a 6 second penalty if you just stray off the course a little too much. If you go off because of an error on your part you'll also get a 6 second penalty. I'll give you an experience I had myself in Career mode; I was racing around the Sepang Malaysia circuit in my Super Aguri and I'd managed to fight my way up to a good grid position of 11th place. Sadly, I clipped a kerb slightly and this sent me spinning off the track. My car wasn't damaged, but because I span off I received a 6 second penalty. Before I'd even got back on the track I'd dropped to 16th place, I then had to travel round the track for 6 seconds with limited revs which in turn dropped me down to 18th place.

My race was effectively spoiled. In reality, there would be no penalty for this. Losing my position as a direct result of spinning I can deal with, but a 6 second penalty for it is ludicrous!

You'll find this happens frequently. If you're battling intensely with another car for position, your effort will inevitably be spoiled by a 6 second penalty because you clipped the apex by a few centimetres and the game thinks you've purposely cut a corner. This one problem with the game alone spoils so many great races and leaves you furious and angry.

But I haven't even started yet. The AI in this game is so lackadaisical in its operation during a race. Formula 1 is a NO CONTACT SPORT. Sure, cars come together from time to time and that's what all the fun is about but a driver will do his very best to avoid a collision. The other drivers in this game do not. Sometimes, I think I'm playing a touring car game.

Again, in Career mode when you start in a poor performing team and car and your braking point is much earlier than the other cars, they just smash into the back of you.
The result of this is either:
- You will lose a rear wheel
- You will lose your rear wing
- You will spin and face the wrong way losing many grid positions
- You will leave the track and gain the dreaded 6 second penalty
- You will leave the track and hit a barrier and damage your car beyond repair

Very few times have I managed to escape a rear collision unharmed and still in my racing position. But this isn't the only problem with the AI. If a car tries to overtake you in a corner (or anywhere actually), they do it so poorly that they actually lock wheels with you and you cant move or steer because they're jamming everything up. Again, this will often result in you spinning.

Another problem I've encountered is when you're in a poor car and are being lapped, when the blue flag shows, you can slow down and pull over as much as you like but the other car will hang behind you for ages before they eventually overtake you. Sometimes during a race, I've pulled off the racing line and slowed to let a faster car pass under blue flag but they take so long that I have to get back on the racing line to get around a corner. Often they will take so long to get past you that you'll get a 2 second penalty for not letting them pass. I'm sure Alonso and Schumacher have the courage to overtake a back-marker.

Similarly, if you're in a faster car and you're lapping slower cars, they move so erratically that you have to approach with huge caution if you're going to overtake. Sometimes, they will appear to be moving out of the way, only to cut across your path again and suddenly there's a collision and you're out - Yuji Ide likes doing this.

Being overtaken by the AI in itself is not up to much. In my Super Aguri on a long straight, I'm much much slower than other cars like the Renault and McClaren. Yet instead of smoothly slipstreaming you to overtake they just hang behind you on half throttle, only to try and overtake you on the next corner where they clip your car and spend you flying off.

I know I've ranted on a lot about the AI, but I had to get that off my chest. The AI in this game is absolutely dire. You can just tell this if you watch the F1TV from the Extras menu. In theory this could've been a very nice feature - being able to watch a whole season of Formula 1 in a game. But if you follow any of the cars it's like they're locked down on a train-track. They never go off the racing line and you get a strange sensation that the cars aren't actually touching the asphalt - it's hard to describe. It just looks like the cars are floating around the track and not driving on it. In corners, they sharply turn with what looks like zero effort - not a hint of understeer or oversteer and it kind of reminds you of going around a sharp corner on a rollercoaster.

Moving on from the AI - the other small gripe I have is with the difficulty levels. Easy is so easy you can just sit back and relax with a drink and some food and still win every race. In Medium, things get a little tougher but you can still win races in a Super Aguri or Midland car which is stupid. In Hard, things get very hard, very quickly.

The whole point of Career mode is to start off in a rubbish car struggling at the back of the field and slowly work your way up to better teams where you can score points and reach the podium. What's the point in progressing to a better team though if you can get a top spot on the podium driving for Super Aguri?
Naturally, you will crank up the difficulty to Hard, but if you can only get a job as test driver, take my advice and quit. Just try again with the trials until you get a race seat. On Hard, you will NEVER be able to complete the tasks they give you, especially in rubbish cars. I'm not sure if its me but I can do extremely well in the races on hard difficulty, but I can never meet the targets of the test sessions as a test driver on hard.

If you've actually read this all the way to the end, I would like to thank you. You may also not understand a lot of these things and be quite curious as to what exactly is wrong with the game. Buy this game if you are good at controlling your temper because it will infuriate you at times. It does provide intense, high speed F1 racing with superb graphics and excellent sound but because of the foibles, it is incredibly irritating at times.

It's annoying particularly when you're trying to complete races in a poor team on Hard difficulty. The races take hours on full distance but this is fine until ridiculous AI means your race is spoiled. Hours of your day becomes wasted because of poor programming.

I'm looking forward to F1 2010 so much that if it's anything like this I'll be miserable for years.

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy racing game to launch with the PS3, 21 Mar 2007
Touring Mars (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Formula One Championship Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
A staple title for any games console, Formula One games have suffered over the years by being 'much the same as before' - and let's face it, there is only so much you can do with the genre. However, this first outing for the series on a next-gen console is something else. Graphically, it doesn't disappoint. Ultra-realistic weather and lighting effects make this game stand head and shoulders above it's predeccesors, and it sounds far more realistic than anything in the genre thus far.

As you would expect, there are a number of different modes you can play in, depending on how much time and effort you care to expend. Either stick all the available assists on and jump right in to a race, or embark on a full career (where you have to progress through the ranks from test-driver to a regular seat within a better team). With all assists off, however, this game presents an almighty challenge. The race physics are the most sophisticated in the series history, and the algorithms for tyre wear and fuel consumption are exceptionally well done. AI for other drivers is much better than ever before.

The tracks are beautifully detailed and accurate, but it is the sensation of speed that this game delivers that makes this game so much fun to play. The motion blur and slightly shaking of the 'camera' as you race really adds sensation to the action.

You can use a wheel with F1CE, but there is no real force feedback (FFB), which is a disappointment to anyone used to full FFB support in PS2 games such as GT4 for example. The game supports the tilt function of the new PS3 Sixaxis controller for steering, which works well, even if it is not entirely suitable for serious driving.

There are a few extra goodies lurking in the game that I know of so far, including a bonus track (Jerez) as well as classic F1 cars including the 1973 Lotus 72E and a Williams or two (according to the credits in the game). Sadly, the game is based on the 2006 season, meaning that the excellent Spa circuit is not in the game but this is a minor quibble.

The game is great overall, but it does suffer from one or two drawbacks. Some of the driving views leave a bit to be desired, and as you might expect, there are no major surprises in the gameplay from past games in the series. The game does not support the much-vaunted idea of using the PSP as a rear-view mirror either (although this may well be patched in at a later date). Probably the biggest downside is not really the fault of the game, but it is the lack of vibration/rumble. For legal reasons, Sony did not include the Rumble Pack hardware in the first edition of the Sixaxis controller, and hence there is no rumble available, which makes the game feel slightly weird (esp. if you are a hardened PS2 racing game addict like myself). Hopefully now that Sony and Immersion have sorted their legal wranglings, Sony will release a new version of the Sixaxis and patch in the rumble effects into the game, but this is more likely to be an inclusion in the 2007 Season edition of the game.

(c) TM and Amar212@GTPlanet.net

4.0 out of 5 stars Shame not up to date, 12 July 2007
This review is from: Formula One Championship Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
Presentation: Loads of modes, all the tracks but its all from 06 and not 07.
9/10

Graphics: Probably one of the best looking PS3 games out there but damage isn't as good as the standard set by Motorstorm.
9/10

Sound: Engines are cool and it has commentary but commentary is not that amazing.
9/10

Gameplay: Great difficulty setings especially for rookies but AI is poor.
9/10

Long-Lasting: Loads of stuff to do and great career mode to try at different levels of difficulty.
10/10

Overall:
9.2/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Best F1 game since F1 97, 15 July 2007
P. Long - See all my reviews
This review is from: Formula One Championship Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
I have played many F1 games through the years, from the first F1 game on the PS1 through to F1 2006 on the PS2, the pinnacle of F1 games has been F1 97, even through the PS2 era, not one F1 game on the PS2 came close to it, now thought we have the the first 'next gen' outing on F1, to appreciate the graphical brilliance you must have a HDTV, but that is not essential.

You have the usual racing modes in the game 'time trail, single race, championship) but also a career mode in which you must take trails with the like of Super Aguri and Torro Rosso, if you are successful you will then become a 'test driver' in which you must test out various settings on a car and beat the lap times to succeed, if you do then you have a chance to be the 2nd driver and prove your worth, from there on its all down to you how far you go.

The game also features an online mode where you can raise against other racers online

The gameplay is excellent, you can customise virtually anything in the game, from weather conditions to breaking aids, each car is different, the Super Aguri struggles to get into top gear where as the Ferrari does so with ease, you even control the pit crew when you enter the pits

The weather effects are jaw dropping, when it rains you can hardly see what is happening on the track infront of you as the water blurs the full screen, you have to see it to believe it and the crash damage is fairly accurate too, getting round Monaco in one clean lap is very hard

a couple of small downsides, no safetycar (although every other flag situation is in the game and the commentary is a bit patchy

5.0 out of 5 stars SO GOOD IT HURTS!, 2 Jan 2008
This review is from: Formula One Championship Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
I bought myself a nice snazzy PS3 60GB recently, and decided to pick up F1 Championship Edition for my other half, who loves racing games. I'm starting to think I made a massive mistake, as now I can't get him off the thing! Personally they're not really my thing, I prefer a Resident Evil style game, but this is truly excellent. The graphics are superb, and it is a very immersive experience. The scope of the game is awesojme, with some very nice gameplay touches. Overall, a triumph. And I'm not even into these sort of games! Let's just hope I can prise 'im indoors away from PS3 for a little bit so I can have a go!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous game, 22 Sep 2008
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Formula One Championship Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
This was my first F1 game that I got and I was ASTOUNDED!!! This game is brillient I love playing it and have great fun a must buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but a few annoyances..., 30 Jun 2008
This review is from: Formula One Championship Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
I bought a PS3 console purely for this game (although I now have other games). The graphics are good (but GT5 and GRID shows it could have been better) Career mode over 5 seasons is excellent, trying to win the championship by the end. The car Evolution is good so long as you can drive consistent laps and the SIXAXIS control is surprisingly good. The annoyances though... In practice or time trial you are driving with the sun low in the sky making it it VERY hard to see where you are going, it would have been nice to select time of day! Once you enter an GP weekend in career mode you cannot save your progress until you complete the weekend, which could mean 6 hours driving! The interactive pitstops are rubbish, having to push buttons as they appear on the screen to get a good time, what has this to do with real F1? Why not just base it on how accurately you can drive into the pit box, like the real thing. And James Allan's commentary is very limited and repetitive, and refers to me as "You", on a PS3 it should be able to call me by my name (see GRID for this) and have a lot more variety in the comments. Finally there is no telemetry, so although you can adjust EVERYTHING on the car, you cannot analyse the effect, all you can do is drive and see if you are quicker or if it feels better, which is not good enough (or my driving, and indeed real F1 drivers, isn't good enough). See the PC Geoff Crammond F1GP games for how his should be Sony!

However, having said all of this, it is still the best F1 game I have ever played. Well worth getting, but I am looking forward to the next PS3 F1 game, as Codemasters (GRID is by them, download the demo and see how good it is!) now have the licence, not Sony, so it will not be until 2009 but should be good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Formula, 22 Nov 2009
Duncan McDonald "Dunk" (Dundee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Formula One Championship Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
There is not a lot of choice of Formula One games this generation. In fact, there is none. This is it. It is still a very good game, if not a bit dated these days.

You get the usual choice of single race, a race weekend, a full champonship with a driver of your choice or start a career as yourself. The data is based on the 2006 season so there is no Hammy or Brawn GP.

The graphics are outstanding, even by todays standard (it is a PS3 launch release) and the sound effects etc are excellent. Essentially this is a port of the PS2 game tarted up but the handling and presentation is better. The game is no pushover though. There are plenty of options to tinker with settings and such like but it will take a bit of practice to win your first championship. The interactive pit-stops are a good touch determining your pit time.

Included is a multiplayer on-line which is still popular and very good fun. No voice comms is a bit odd. You can post messages.

Overall, an excellent racing game. My only complaint is the career mode has overly fussy menus and gets bogged down in time trials, testing and other useless tasks that you can't skip. All I want to do is race a championship as me!

Whether the new Codemasters game can beat this remains to be seen.

ARRAY(0xa60ee2dc)

Formula One Championship Edition (PS3)
16.39