Format: Audio CD|Change

'Amazing' is the only word for Andy McKee's playing. The only other modern guitarist who comes to mind with his level of skill and ability to create whole soundscapes of magic and mystery is that of the late and much-missed Michael Hedges. Unfortunately, Amazon do not provide sound samples - but that's no problem. Search for Andy by name in Youtube and you will find a huge number of high quality recordings of him playing .... so you can hear him and also see how he does what he does. Stunning.
on 9 January 2010
I first came across McKee's playing on Youtube, playing "Drifting", and I had to follow up by buying the whole album. I haven't regretted that purchse. McKee balances astonishing technique and musicianship that results in an album of music, not some abstract technical exercise that can plague some guitar-based recordings.

As a guitarist myself, this album was so inspirational it has encouraged me to develop percussive playing techniques, but non players will enjoy this too!

J
on 2 February 2009
Caught one of Andy's shows with Don Ross last year and it was absolutely life changing. I'm a big fan of many of the other artists on candy rat as well but this has got to be my favourite solo acoustic album of them all. The level of playing is simply astounding and as a fellow guitarist found this to be of particular interest. That isn't to say that you won't enjoy this album if you don't play guitar as the tunes themselves aspire to a simply beautiful standard of composition. As corny as it sounds you really do a feel a connection to the player through the music. Most of the album is fairly relaxed but their are a few exciting tracks whether it be excitement created by fast rhythms and tempo or just through some of the insane harmonics and double-tap techniques.

The album is a collection of Andy's earlier tunes and some old time favourites like drifting. The album is even better if you get a chance to see him play the songs as well as it's visually very impressive. Candy rat have posted some very high quality videos on youtube under the name RPoland, but you should definitely check out his live shows if you get the chance. I'd highly recommend this and all his other albums to everyone...
on 16 November 2009
I, like many, discovered Andy McKee on YouTube, which has been his weapon of choice (as with all Candyrat Records artists) for getting himself known, but I really wanted to buy at least one of his albums for all the most obvious reasons (to support him, I can't take YouTube in the car etc.) and I'm really glad I have. This is one of the most relaxing and uplifting albums I've heard in a whole and has been in the car pretty much since I got it. Whilst Andy McKee isn't necessarily the first guitarist to do two handed tapping, or to use the body of his guitar as a percussion instrument, he is one of the most accomplished and writes some truly lovely pieces. If you've heard Drifting or The Keys To The Hovercar on YouTube and liked them, I urge you to by this album (or his other album, or both as I will eventually do!) if only to support this "indie" section of the music industry and to spread the calm.
on 10 May 2009
I only heard of Andy McKee a couple of weeks ago (May 2009) and on the strength of amazon's sound samples, I bought Art of Motion and was and am totally overwhelmed by AK's virtuosity...it's hard to believe he's got only one pair of hands and the percussive elements of his music too are never intrusive and have the feel of flamenco at times. I find this CD very relaxing, even ambient at times, though there are some faster tracks, but all are played with sublime efotlessness and the cleanness of movement between open and fretted strings with pure harmonics in and around them is absolutely astonishing. A genius and I will definitely be bying more AK CDs and if you've never heard of Andy McKee either, this is the perfect CD.
on 6 June 2008
He is an awesome guitarist who has a very significant style thats incredibly relaxing, i was luckily able to catch one of his shows, blew my mind away
on 5 September 2011
I recently bought this album after hearing it at a local bar. I have it on in the background while cooking or entertaining friends. It's perfect. One of the best acoustic guitar albums I have, kind of sombre, with a little attitude here and there, but nothing loud or surprising. Well worth the buy price.
Thanks Andy for sharing your amazing talent. God Bless You, all the way from Australia.
on 30 May 2013
Andy McKee is an absolutely brilliant musician. I have been listening to his music for some time now, and have finally got around to order a copy of the CD. Might I add, this is the only CD I have purchased in years! I always stick to digital downloads. Andy McKee just needs a place on the shelf!
on 11 June 2013
Andy Mc Kee was introduced to me by my sister whose son was so inspired by him he composed his own music in his style for his GCSE music practical and achieved a very good result.I listen to him in the car all the time. Andy is an amazing guitar player and would recommend him highly.
on 11 January 2013
Fantastic album, I first found out about ANdy McKee from my husband and you tube. This is a great album to listen to and a great relief from much of the 'pop' that is out there.