5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful
Being a Floyd fan, I was eager to hear this new release from Dave Gilmour.
I think the album is wonderful - so relaxing and Gilmour's guitar "makes" it really, together with the souring orchestral lines and backing vocals. I felt in places that some of the lyrics are slightly weak but for me it is more about the music and the overall sound.
Some of the...
Published on 31 Mar 2006 by Fallen Angel

3.0 out of 5 stars Pinkless Floyd
This is kind of weird. It's like listening to Pink Floyd for a few moments, but then it doesn't quite sound right. I've been a Floyd fan since Dark Side of the Moon was released. I bought this without thinking and slid it into the head unit of my car hifi system. And at first I thought, I like this, this sounds promising but somehow it never blossoms into what I had...
Published on 14 Mar 2006 by OEJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 31 Mar 2006
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
Being a Floyd fan, I was eager to hear this new release from Dave Gilmour.
Some of the songs did sound "Floydian" in parts but to me, that's not a criticism. I thought that they fit in well without detracting from Dave Gilmour's overall theme.
My two favourite songs are the title track and Blue - I love the guitar solo on the latter, it gave me goosebumps.
I was also surprised to hear that Gilmour's voice is as strong as ever and hasnt changed much from the days when he was in Pink Floyd.
If you want a very chilled out, emotion-stirring album then buy this and you wont be disappointed. Pure genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars an artist true to himself, 29 Jun 2007
Mr. M. A. Reed (Argleton, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
What is obvious to man and beast is that if David Gilmour were in this for the paycheque and the ego, he'd've got in a different drummer, put the words "Pink" and "Floyd" on the spine, and toured the Tulsa Enormodome for $400 a ticket to aging babyboomers trying to relive their past.

Unashamedly personal, "On An Island" dispenses with the grandoise, widescreen miserabilism of Gilmour's previous records with Pink Floyd, in favour of an understated, intimate setting. Despite the obvious aural similarities, the mournful whalesong guitar, the precise and soft keyboard lines - you can take the man out the Floyd, but not the Floyd from the man - this is very clearly the work of a man alone.

The songs are smaller, more intimate, their arrangements are simpler, the production is uncluttered, sparse. There's a sense that nothing be hurried, that there is time enough, that everything will unfold. That the intriacies and complications of modern life are mere detritus blown by the wind in our faces. The discreet and understated feel to this album make it clear that this is not a record built for stadiums, but for the heart.

Leadoff single and title track "On An Island" glides like a bird over a mountain range.Somehow remote, distant, removed from the world. It also features some blistering guitar work that proves that Gilmour could record one 60 minute guitar solo and it would still - probably - be interesting to listen to.

Lyrically it's clear that Gilmour is, most obviously, the luckiest man in the world. Rarely have I heard an album as content, as lacking in angst and emotional depth. One could even say that, at first listen, the record sounds like the bland lovesongs of a man at peace. And there is nothing wrong with this per-se, (only a fool would wish emotional hardship on anyone just so we could have better records to listen to), but the emotional variation of great records means that "On An Island" sounds as if it was created in a blissful emotional vacuum. The only song that really hints at the emotional urgency and vague annoyance of late period Floyd is "Take A Breath". (Which, incidentally, is the undoubted highlight of the current live set).

Anyone of these songs could sit comfortably on the later incarnation of Pink Floyd, and whilst any of them could, putting all of these songs together makes it clear that Gilmour no longer needs the Floyd. He's not in it for the money, or the ego, or the gratification. If he were he'd've cleaned out and used the name of his former band and grossed the GNP of a small country for a few months work. In that respect, the dogged refusal to take the easy option should really only be commended.

Age is proof that one need not mellow, and if one does mellow, it is more to match the world that changes around us. "On An Island" is the assured work of a man true to himself and his art alone - which is perhaps the best type of artist there is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gimour chills out, 22 July 2006
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
It's far too easy these days, with aging rock stars, to say they have nothing to prove anymore. However, if it applies to anyone, it applies to David Gilmour, who, as with the rest of Pink Floyd, has well and truly placed himself in the rock and roll hall of fame after Live 8. The charity concert last year brought their music to a wider audience, and everyone from teenagers to those who remember Syd Barrett in the band, were once again listening to their records and buying their CDs.

So, its well timed then, that just as the hype has died down, Gilmour releases another solo album, his third, although in truth its not much different to 1994's Pink Floyd release The Division Bell, in which Gilmour, Mason and Wright teamed to create an album that showed it could be done without Waters. Where as Roger Waters' ambitious opera Ca Ira, won't cement his place in modern classical music (he'd say he had nothing left to prove in the rock world), and didn't have the punters rushing forward, Gilmour's On An Island should appeal to any Floyd fan.

Despite Roger waters' egoistic remarks on his own part in the band, Gilmour's new album shows just what he brought to Pink Floyd. On the album he showcases just what he's good at- guitar solos that can move you to tears, lyrics that are heartfelt, and music that is timeless. There's more than a hint of Pink Floyd circa Obscured By Clouds and Meddle, again highlighting that Gilmour was a driving force in the band. Stylistically it closely represents The Division Bell, which is not to say it's a poor imitation. Gilmour's songs have a sad truth to them, an older, wiser Gilmour is singing here, but happily not referring to I-pods or mobile phones, like many older musicians feel they have to, to make themselves fit in to the modern music scene.

All in all, this is a strong release from David Gilmour, he captures the `Island' feel, making this a great one for the summer. His playing is as good as it has ever been, he even plays the saxophone on one track. Here is a man who is happy with his lot in live and is creating music he loves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 Mar 2006
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
I got this album a couple days ago and I was not disapointed with it. I was watching a late night programme on Channel 4 about the making of the album. Gilmour seemed to put a lot into this record and I think he and all the talented artists who offered their skills to produce 'On an Island' deserve credit. The two highlights of the album for me are the title track, 'On an Island' and 'Take a Breath'. Other highlights include 'The Blue' and 'Smile'. The Pink Floyd sound is still heard in a lot of Gilmour's excellent guitar playing and harmony vocals. However it is wrong to compare this album with previous Floyd material. Its a great album to chill out too also! Get it

4.0 out of 5 stars Understated, subtle and intimate., 11 Mar 2006
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
The album has an almost ambient recording that would suit a soundtrack to a film and I cant help but hearing elements of Meddle, Obscured by Clouds and Atom Heart Mother, it certainly is no DSOTM - but thats a good thing, if you were expecting something as radical as that then you have set your expectations way too high and you deserve to be disappointed.
If I wanted angst I'd have bought a Waters album, I knew what sort of sound Gilmour would create and I wasnt disappointed. The guitar playing is beautiful as ever and lets face it - thats why we listen to Gilmour. The songs ARE mellow but are NOT bland, they are understated and subtle, the production has a sonic translucency that shimmers and teases the listener yet relaxes and involves. The overall effect of the album is to encompass you in an aural massage smoothing away strains and stresses of everyday life.
There is a tendency by music reviewers to critisise anything that has any easy listening properties, and I would agree that there is a lot easy listening rubbish out there, like Dido and Katie Melua, but this isnt a music by numbers exercise like afore mentioned, David's album is a very intimate reflection of his life and memories and deserves a proper listen if you consider yourself a fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Dec 2006
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
I didn't quite know what to expect from this album, but I hoped that it would be good - and it exceeded my hopes. David Gilmour is, as far as I'm concerned, the master of melody. The guitar work on here is unparalleled in this day and age (except for perhaps Johnny Marr.) There really isn't a bad song on here, but the standout tracks are definitely the brilliant 'On An Island', which has one of the most effective uses of vocal harmonies I have ever heard, and the less laid back, but equally excellent, 'Take A Breath'. Other highlights include 'Castellorizon' and 'The Blue'; so basically the first four songs.

'On An Island' isn't short of well-known names, either. Rick Wright (we all know who he is), Jools Holland, Phil Manzanera of Roxy Music, David Crosby (The Byrds), Graham Nash, an old friend/guitarist of Gilmour that playd in Pink Floyd befor and after they were christened Pink Floyd - Rado Klose, plus the ex-drummer from Pink Floyd's old underground rivals, Robert Wyatt of the Soft Machine.

The songs on here are great. Admittedly not as great as Pink Floyd at their peak (what is?) but this shows that Gilmour is a legend and a guitar hero. He can still move you with a single note, and his musical vision hasn't faltered at all. 'On An Island' isn't quite as good as his old bandmate Roger Waters' 'Amused To Death', but is the best album that's been released this year. And as for you fools that are asking for new Pink Floyd material, are you really that stupid? Their time has come and gone, they are in the top three most popular bands of all time and always will be, and they all know that they have nothing left to prove. So quit clamouring for them to reform and enjoy this instead. To quote 'This Heaven', 'This earthly heaven is enough for me.'

4.0 out of 5 stars An Elegant, very British record, 2 Jun 2006
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
David Gilmour, often the voice, but not usual the creative force behind Pink Floyd delivers a lovely record with this, his third album. It's a quiet album, often instrumental. The lyrics when they come are delightfully optimistic. It's gorgeously produced. The vocals remind one of Pink Floyd in their prime and when Gilmour is asked for a guitar solo, he's able to remind us why he's one of the best in the business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smile!, 20 Mar 2006
L. Hutchinson (Newcastle Upon Tyne, Britain) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
I have been a Pink Floyd fan for a few years now (5 years if you must know) but I am rather ashamed to admit that this is my first David Gilmour album that I have purchased. I bought Roger Waters solo albums first then “Broken China” by Richard Wright. To be honest I am glad that I have waited. My first Gilmour album that I have purchased is truly fantastic!
There is little to say other than that this album is wonderful. It is controlled, measured and wonderfully relaxing to listen to, and is also deep. The music is melancholy and yet lovingly endearing. There are subtle hints to Gilmour’s past musical triumphs. In the opening track, “Castellorizon” there are a few minutes that remind us of the psychedelic doodling that Gilmour excelled at on the Floyd album “A Saucerful of Secrets”. Of course it isn’t heavy, just lilting and enjoyable to listen to.
The only track that I was unsure of was “Take A Breath” but after a second listen it has grown. The entire album is wonderful. It is calm, reflective and everything that makes a wonderful album. I could quite easily listen to this album everyday. If you are expecting Floyd than you are a fool: you will get hints of Floyd via some of the guitar work but this is Gilmour doing his solo work: and thank goodness. We have the Floyd albums; we don’t need any one member doing a solo album trying to do a pale imitation of the group they were once in. Floyd was a collective work of all members. Also don’t come to this album expecting Waters! Waters is concerned with mainly political issues, which he finely demonstrated with his last album “Amused to Death”. Gilmour is treating us to one thing that we tend to forget when coming to Floyd member’s music: ourselves! This is a personal album for Gilmour and yet as an 18 year old I can easily tap into its personal emotion.
There is nothing I can say other than buy this album. You will not be disappointed. The music ranges from rock to jazz and blues in a coherent manor, with perhaps a hint of folk. Excel it its lilting and yet emotional music.
Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars this album will not leave you blue, 13 Sep 2007
Mr. M. Betchley (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
Dont expect a big PF sound from this man cause you wont get it!What you will get is a very classy laid back chill out album from a master performer.

Ok some titles dont cut the mustard i.e take a breath, this heaven,but then you got real diamonds and pearls like the blue,smile,then i close my eyes,on an island.

the folks who give this 1-2 stars are those who rush out to get this expecting the big pf sound and after one not very serious listen take it off there cd player and slag it off....take your time listen to it 3-4 times and you like me would wish it where liquid ..and inject it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Musically excellent., 16 May 2006
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
'On an Island' is an album that just continues growing on you with each subsequent listening. It may not be love at first hearing but give it a chance and the elegance of this album starts shining through. Gilmour's Guitar work is excellent and generates all the emotion you've come to expect from one of the key members of Pink Floyd.

I just can't understand some of the reviews below. I'm a Pink Floyd fan and this is the first Gilmour album I've purchased and I'm not disappointed at all. This is the best album I've listened to this year.

For the information of the supposed Pink Floyd fan that says he's changing sides to Walters - Walters has never been a member of Pink Floyd. Maybe you meant Waters?

I enjoy Waters solo works. I'm also open minded enough to like music produced by other members of Pink Floyd.

Sit back with a glass of wine as the sun goes down and put on 'On An Island'. Just amazing!

On An Island
On An Island by David Gilmour (Audio CD - 2006)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available