4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising

3.0 out of 5 stars not great but not hideously bad either, 7 Aug. 2008
Mr. J. J. BURTON (uk) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Alone in the Dark (Video Game)
Alone in the dark has to be commended for its ambition if nothing else, there are ideas here that will no doubt inspire other games - hopefully slightly better implemented than they are here. The idea of having vehicles to drive and tactics the player can use with these motors - brilliant! the very first time you get in a car as you go to Central park - frustrating! its very much trial and error, things are just a little too tight to make it through without remembering where everything happens.
Yet the spectacle is more awesome tham most games manage in their entirety and this is just the first of many set-pieces, throughout the whole game there are a lot of brilliant scenes its just that the controls are a little fiddly.
The core gameplay has many neat touches and can be quite satisfying but is often very sloppy, there is one section that seemed nigh on impossible without exploiting the enemies stupid A.I (although it gave me a chuckle seeing them kill themselves it took forever to do and relied on random luck because it was too tricky otherwise).
Some people have complained about the inventory not pausing the game, I did this often and its actually the case that the enemy rarely attack you when in the inventory screen - people who moan about it must be spending ages doing what they need to do because I hardly ever noticed any problems despite loads of enemies running around.
The final levels are very satisfying with Tombraider-esque puzzles and platforming, both are handled well and the end is pretty good (the ending however leaves a bit to be desired).
To me I'm glad I played the game despite its obvious flaws, in some ways this will be better than the likes of Silent hill or Resident evil but at a fundamental level it needed a bit more polish and a few ideas being chucked out - the melee combat being controlled by the analogue stick doesn't quite work for example.
Theres a lot of thrills to be had with this game but it takes patience, something I suspect most 360 owners wont bother with or if they do its flaws will be more obvious to them than its charms.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just get by the faults and there is good survival horror with some great ideas to be had!, 21 July 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Alone in the Dark (Video Game)
Ok I bet there alot lots of people that played this games for an hour or so they may have even got the driving section, and then understandably went straight to their laptop and voice their hate on these Amazon review pages.
I say understandably because the controls did my head in too, OMG walk in a straight line you moron was my scream during the opening level.... get on the ladder you.... any way you get the idea the controls are not good. Then get behind the wheel in a thanfully short driving section and the controls go from bad to worse. Why oh why if you can't do driving physics just but a nice cut scene of driving in its place.... yes its easy to see why this game got turned off, just like I did.

BUT then I switched it back on and I was greeted with previously on Alone in the Dark (yeah im a LOST & 24 fan it got my attention)as the story re-capped I realised it is quite a interesting story and I would give it another go. All of a sudden I got used to controls and started to reall enjoy the game and its very good ideas. The game started to devope into a quite a good survival horror, reminisent of the old Resi Games.

The main character Edward Carnaby is bleeding badly, hit right on the direction pad and you can actually see your gaping wound. Hit down and the camera gives you a view of your pockets, sugar! i've got nothing that will stop the bleeding just a bottle of lighter fluid, a gun and double sided tape!!!. ok im in central park it has gone to hell there will be healh pack in a tree or something yes?? No not in A.I.D.

You will not find any pick ups where they shouldn't be, luckily I spied rest room hopefully a first aid kit maybe in there, YES! I find bandages and im better. Oh dear! now something is after me, I can't go out where I came in but there is door locked in the corner I can smash it down??? so I check my pockets again, I grab the bottle of lighter fluid wrap in double sided tape stick it to the door, pull out my gun and shoot it ! hey presto open door! This inventory system is brilliant, you can only carry what you can fit in your pocket, so you must be selective and think what you will need. Its just great, got no ammo? well you have a aerosol and a lighter...hey hey home made blow torch.

This is not all the game has to offer I assure you the graphics are very good, the Fire is truly amazing as it expands and burns anything near it. the fire also becomes your friend, you got now weapons at all? pick a chair up put it in the fire instant weapons. The story is very interesting as are the charcters? the use of constant swearing seems out of place but there we go. The set pieces are very good, apocolyptic New York is a very interesting place to be.

The game obviously has its problems! I wish I could rate it 3.5 stars cause 3 seems harsh,but a game such bad controls cant get 4. But if you can get by its obvious problems then there is a very interesting game here, that is unlike anything else currently availiable on this gen of consoles. I have seen A.I.D as low as £18 at them moment believe me its worth it, especially if you are survival horror fan, it should keep you going untill its time to vist Silent Hill...again

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Alone in the Dark (Video Game)
After reading the bad reviews it received, I have played and completed. It seems to me a game that if they devoted a little more time in their development had been one of the best games for the Xbox 360. Presents many innovative aspects, from the shape of third day from now until the inventory of objects that you're wearing. Graphically it's not bad although it leaves something to be desired, and the soundtrack is quite good in my opinion.
I would recommend it since to a low price you'll get quite a game that insurance you'll be amazed.

5.0 out of 5 stars 😎Awesome game for £1:50. Good to add to a game collection💰🔫, 28 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Alone in the Dark (Video Game)
💣🔫not bad game play, good for achievements, can't go wrong when I paid so little for the game, great to add to the collection.
Wouldn't pay silly money for the game, but I think I got an absolute bargain, as I don't have these acheivements on my gs SICK0 ZER0
Add me for cheevo hunting.
Decent enough graphics on the game.
The game does play more out like a movie, but there are some parts you have to play 😜

1.0 out of 5 stars OMG where do I even start? Terrible just terrible!, 23 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Alone in the Dark (Video Game)
I was quite excited to play this game as I thought it should prove to be an engaging adventure. I had a vague recollection of playing it in it's Playstation incarnation. Much to my dismay frustation abounded within minutes of starting to play the game. The main characters movements are incredibly clunky and slow, although you can pick up objects to batter the zombies with you can only actually kill them with fire. Using the menu the game doesn't pause so the enemies can come and attack you while you are trying to combine objects. The gun targeting system is abysmal and the character turns too slowly to keep up with fast moving enemies.

I got to the part where you meet your female sidekick and I wanted to kill her. Not only did she get in the way of trying to shoot enemies she complained in the most obnoxious way about not shooting her - 'well get out of the way then!'. Her voice was so annoying, on a stairwell she kept standing in the way making it almost impossible to get past her. I found myself shouting at the television 'GET OUT OF DAMN THE WAY'! Then when you have to find another car to exit the building her constant whining really got on my nerves I did actually try to shoot her but unfortunately the game doesn't let you!

Upon exiting the building you get involved in car chase to get to central park in which the slightest wrong move means your car flies up into the air and explodes, the controls are frustratingly over sensitive and small means you drive into a lampost which you then have to reverse ever slowly away from and you end up dying and having to start again from the beginning. After almost an hour of the car race I had to switch off the xbox for my own sanity. I don't know if I can bear to pick up the game again it is just too frustrating!

2.0 out of 5 stars If you like dying, play this game..., 15 July 2008
This review is from: Alone in the Dark (Video Game)
Oh my, It's not many times I've brought a game home, turned it straight on and been back in the shop trading it in within 3 hours but with Alone in the Dark I was.
I can't comment on the last five episodes as I gave up after two chapters - 45 mins of the same car chase over and over and over and over (without Hot Chip) was enough to condemn this game to the junk bin.

The game is jerky, really jerky, characters are wooden, the fire is unrealistic, you cannot see anything that is going on (I know it's half the point - but it's not scary just annoying), the driving is terrible, but worst of all is the attack options, the shooting is diabolical and the hit objects goes nowhere near where you want it.

The manufacturers had a few good ideas, but for everyone of them they tried to put six really bad ones in.
If you love doing the same scenes over and over again you will love this - it's base on trial and error - you do something wrong - anything - you die and have to start the scene again - you can't skip the movie clips either. It's not 1990 gaming - we don't like dying 10 times to move forward to the next room.

The only reason I've not given this game one star is because of the summary movie you get when you've completed a chapter then exit and restart the game and you get a US TV style "Previously on" - that is really well done and almost makes this game good - it's shame to say it, but this is anything but good. Avoid.

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Clunky Controls, 14 Nov. 2008
Steve (Manchester (Salford)) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Alone in the Dark (Video Game)
Ive only been playing this game an hour or so but felt I just had to write this..

First of all the control system is TERRIBLE, camera angles are TERRIBLE, fighting parts of the game are TERRIBLE your inventory is.. yes, you guessed TERRIBLE.. this game has so much of the early resident evil feel to it but everything seems far worse, movement is slow and frustrating, camera angles are limited, you can switch from 3rd person to 1st person but then it changes back on its own accord.. The worst parts are the fighting sequences, they are annoying, its not just a case of pressing right trigger to whack someone over the head, its a case of push the right stick one way to make ready with the chair or whatever you are using as a weapon then move it the opposite way to hit with, usually it misses, breaks or you drop the damn thing, then if thats not enough you have to grag the body to some fire as fire is the only way to kill the demons or whatever you want to call them, before you have dragged the body to some fire they are awake again and trying to kill you.. this game could have been so much better, the graphics are fantastic, some of the backdrops look stunning, animation seems really good but the frustration of trying to navigate your character is enough to put me off this game.. nice try but just not good enough

2.0 out of 5 stars An exercise in frustration, 23 Jun. 2008
Mr. B. J. Hunt "jedra_" (Saxilby, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Alone in the Dark (Video Game)
I have been looking forward to this game for such a long time and got it today as a present. I just played it for a couple of hours and I am totally disappointed. The control system is awkward at best with the camera swinging around all over the place. It seems to take an age for the controls to respond to anything and it feels very clumsy.

Also there are points in the game (and I am not very far in at all) where you have no idea what it is you are supposed to be doing. I have got to a point where you are supposed to get to a security guard and have blundered about for about an hour before giving up and switching off the Xbox.

The graphics and physics are great - which is just about all the game has to offer really.

It would probably be better on the PC as it seems that a mouse/keyboard combination may be a better control system than the Xbox controller.

I doubt I will bother to play this again, so it is destined for trade-in already.

I would suggest that you rent this before buying.

*EDIT - to add insult to injury... I gave this game another go today and it seems that the fancy graphics and physics works the Xbox a little too hard. For the first time ever I got the dreaded RROD (Re Ring Of Death) while playing this game!

1.0 out of 5 stars Money Saving Advice, 22 Jun. 2008
S. MCFARLANE (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alone in the Dark (Video Game)
Truly awful controls, excruciating voice acting, and irritating camera angles make "Alone in the Dark" this years biggest turkey.
The lead characters movement and animation are from a bygone era, as if "Resident evil 4" and "Prince of Persia" had never been made.
More development was clearly needed as the game feels distinctly unfinished.
The discerning gamer will find little to enjoy here, with dated context sensitive controls, wooden movement, and rubber faced character models.
Please save yourself the money. Very difficult to justify a purchase even at half the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a shame, 14 July 2008
This review is from: Alone in the Dark (Video Game)
I had such hopes for this game after a summer of relatively slow releases whilst waiting for the autumn rush, however after on a few moments of play realised that i wouldnt be satisfied.

As a big fan of ResEvil series this has all the atmospherics associated with that franchise but has none of the appeal.

Poor controls, and stupid AI are the main let down. Storyline I would imagine is up there with previous incarnations of the game but I didnt play for long enough to find out. Graphically this cannot be faulted but then i dont buy games for the graphics any more - im not 12 these days!!

I would say make up your own mind but if you go by reviews then leave well alone, wait til ResEvil5 or go buy a PS3 and play MGS4, if not then there must be other titles out there, possible Alan Wake. Just hope that doesnt suffer with the same pitfalls as this did.

Alone in the Dark is where this should be kept, away from my 360!

Alone in the Dark
Alone in the Dark by Namco Bandai (Xbox 360)