4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for 'Everybody have fun tonight', kept for the rest, 20 July 2005
Michele L. Worley (Kingdom of the Mouse, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mosaic (Audio CD)
As quite often happens with me, I bought MOSAIC for a single song - "Everybody Have Fun Tonight", the only one I recall ever hearing before buying the album and the most famous of the lot - and ended up liking a couple of the other songs even better than the original raison d'etre of the album. Out of the eight songs, I'm very fond of four, which is a pretty good hit rate by my standards.
Jack Hues (the lead vocalist on "Everybody Have Fun Tonight") is lead vocalist throughout, and most of the songs have approximately the same mix of vocals, give or take throwaway lines.
"Everybody Have Fun Tonight" Original 1986 recording (ouch, that it's been that long), hasn't been given any new ill-advised "musically superior" arrangement.
"Hypnotize Me" Forgettable. "Just shine the light in my eyes/And hypnotize me love."
"The Flat Horizon" I'm fond of this one, though I have to say I had to read the lyrics before I had a good grasp of all that was being said. "Oh this line is the flat horizon/and you are the shape on the left/Oh this line is the flat horizon/And this is the sun in the sky/Oh this line is the flat horizon/and makes the great divide/between heaven and angels/and earth and man."
"Betrayal" Minor key as sax dominates the accompaniment, very sad while being a good song.
"Let's Go" - One of my three favourite songs on here; surprising that it isn't played more often on weekday mornings. Very cheerful and upbeat. "I wish you'd drop what you're doing/And get on the case/We could blow this existence/Right out into space..."
"Eyes of the Girl" - Fast 4/4 tempo, dominated by snare and guitar."Tears fall from the eyes of the girl/and the girl is watching me."
"A Fool and His Money" - "Just like a fool and his money/Just like a fool, I let it slip away". Slower tempo, but with guitar rather than keyboards dominating the instrumental accompaniment, and with a different mix of supporting vocalists. "Betrayal" is much more effective at conveying heartbreak; Jack Hues doesn't sound like he really cares about the subject of the song here.
"The World in Which We Live" - The longest song on the album at over 7 minutes (the others average about 4 minutes 45 seconds), arguably the most obscure (the unexpurgated lyrics aren't a help there), and yet the song that gives the album its name. While the tempo seems much faster than that of the other songs due to the driving percussion, it's actually about the same beat as "Let's Go" with a lot more energy. "The world in which we live/the world in which we all are depends/whoever would forgive/the way we treat the world in which we live/Chorus: The world is a mosaic upon a golden floor/Moving silently, darkly through space/and our lives are the fragments and all that's gone before..."

4.0 out of 5 stars Great second album from Wang Chung, 29 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Mosaic (Audio CD)
Wang Chung are one of the most under rated bands of the 80's and never really reached the mega stardom which they deserved. They had a unique sound which was both energetic and addictive in an era when everybody was trying to sound like Duran Duran or The Cure. Mosaic is not their best album but does have its classics such as Hypnotize Me and World in Which We Live. It is one of those albums that grow on you the more you listern to it and I would recommend this album (which has been re released on CD) to fans and those who are just curious alike. Also look out for their second album, Points on the Curve which is available on import and is Wang Chung at their finest...

Mosaic
Mosaic by Wang Chung (Audio CD)