on 25 May 2013
As a man in his 50's who has only recently come to love the Grateful Dead, I come with different ideas and expectations(or lack of them perhaps). I think that this is my personal favorite. I love all the songs( I'm reviewing the remastered basic MP album ) The guitar sound of @Passenger" reminds me very much of MAN , but the songs are all that-songs, tight, very melodic, some catchy riffs. If you love the early stuff( which I do) then it's hard to believe how different a band could be inside of 10 years, but the fact is that the Dead are just so versatile and open minded musically, that there will always be something for you in their work. If you like Genesis of this period then the song Terrapin Station is just for you. Buy this now, it's a steal at the price.
on 26 March 2014
this has some nice tunes and is a bit more produced than their previous studio albums , but it also has several tracks which are either uncharacteristic of the band (the ballad with female vocalist ) or sound like fillers (dancing in the street ) .also the long epic tune terrapin station is interesting musically but has parts , example the english choir at the end of the track , which just do not sound like they belong on an album by such a quintessentially american band .still worth a listen though
on 12 June 2009
I'm not keen on the Dead's studio albums,but I make an exception for "Terrapin Station".By the by,this review is for the original,not the remastered-with-extra-tracks version.
The title track alone is worth the entrance fee.Remarkable lyrics from Robert Hunter complement some of the most beautiful music the Dead ever recorded.About halfway through,where live versions of "Terrapin" commence Garcia's soloing,the studio version goes into a percussion wigout,followed by strings and an choir("TERR-A-PIN")before returning to the original theme.Truly remarkable and unique in the Dead's studio output.
The rest is pretty good too,especially "Estimated Prophet" and "Samson and Delilah".Even the disco-Dead of "Dancin'In The Streets" makes me smile.Buy now,but be cautious as to the rest of the Dead's studio output.
on 30 April 2008
Ok, it's hold my hands up time. I've had an absolute field day on these reviews pages at expense of the Dead in general and 'hippy types' in particular. I've penned reams about faded loons, floral shirts, 10 minute mellotron solo's and, my particular favourite, the ubiquitous centre-parting.
I suppose it's my inadequate way of coming to terms with the fact that I've been immersed in an art form that's completely alien to me. I've sneered, scoffed and chortled my way round some strange, intoxicating music, which I've usually grudgingly acknowledged, while at the same time, sarcastically pointing out every fallibility I can find. In short, I've stretched a point to breaking, with no other justification but narky inexperience.
Well that ends here.

My latest stop is 'Terrapin Station' and it's MAGNIFICENT on every level. It's a devastating mix of funk, rock and reggae, from the steely opening chords of 'Estimated Prophet' to the jumping climax of the 16 minute 'Terrapin Station pt1' we're on a winner in a big way. There's lyrical and melodic strength that's joyous and delightful, there's serious cohesion, (my favourite rock term) clarity and huge swathes of justified confidence.
Justified because The Dead are on some kind of creative summit here-and don't they know it. The swagger is unmistakable. Each exquisitely crafted hook, each spray of feisty brass, every huge orchestral sweep is definite indication of a group on fire.

Despite the dodgy labeling, this is almost pure pop. It has a funny kind of sisterhood with Captain Sensible's album 'Revolution Now' in that its surface sheen and pomp is (incredibly!) just the bait that draws you in, ultimately to discover the width and depth of what lies beneath. A clear sign of inner richness.
The scope and aspiration of 'Terrapin Station' is breathtaking and immense. It has subtleties and intricacies that other lesser, workmanlike musics can only dream of - and it's sustained. It applies pressure in the first 5 seconds and never let's up. Relentless, whirling rock music which is appealing well beyond a delirious few listens, and has a resonance and resolve which is unshakeable.

As with all truly great music, it's profoundly influential, good and bad. The obvious offspring are the likes of Chic and the stomping Brothers Johnson. Unfortunately the lineage ends somewhere around those mortifying uglies; Level 42, but it does illustrate that even the most hopeless cruds can't be ALL bad if they're trying to emulate 'Terrapin Station'.

A truer album you won't hear. It's full across the board solid. Alert, soulful and downright FUN.
I'm not even gonna whine about the awful (again!) cover art, (I can still smell nappies when I think of 'Blues for Allah') because for once, the ludicrous details which I normally cheekily celebrate, are unimportant. And I've even jettisoned a slew of train jokes in favour of breathless positivism, such is the chill-inducing, magical beauty of `Terrapin Station'.
I'm glad I'm alive.
on 9 May 2016
10/10 best of the later Dead albums.
on 6 March 2016
BRILL
on 13 July 2012
Exactly. Well, because the Dead are a wonderful wonderful band. "Live Dead" would be a "Desert Island disc" that I have never and will never fail to enjoy hearing. It is majestic.
I had never heard Terrapin Station, I bought it and was thoroughly disappointed.
Guess you can't win them all.I suppose I should now continue with a flowery, meandering bu77$h1t review as is the way of my companions, but do you know what?
I can't be bothered. Yes it's that dull. Anybody want a copy, free? Write in now!!