5.0 out of 5 stars Cloudburst
I totally agree with the other reviewers. Polyphony are apparently peerless and Eric Whitacre's music is outstandingly beautiful, and very moving at times (especially given Stephen Layton's sensitive direction - the way he holds back in Sleep, fo example, is stunning). Go and buy this now!!
Published on 14 Feb 2006

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment
Heard the Wedding Day track on Classic FM and decided to buy the whole CD. Huge disappointment as the rest of the CD is dire and sounds like a dirge.
Published 9 months ago by Leesa Stearne

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Whitacre and Polyphony at their best, 28 Mar 2010
RichH (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloudburst and other choral works (Audio CD)
Eric Whitacre's 'Cloudburst' is my CD of choice for 2010. Listen to it and you'll know why.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 3 Jan 2009
Mornaw (Hammersmith, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloudburst and other choral works (Audio CD)
This is one of the most stunning and moving works of choral music I have ever heard. I don't know what classification it officially holds, but I would say it was akin to modern church choral music. Polyphony's voices are perfectly suited to the ethereal chords which are so beautiful that I've literally been moved to tears several times - particularly to Water Night, and I've only owned the album for 24 hours! Buy this album NOW - you won't regret it. Thank you so much Eric Whitacre, I'm immensely glad you were born.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful album, 7 Oct 2008
Bridget O (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Cloudburst and other choral works (Audio CD)
If you like listening or singing choral music you must own this CD. This is a beautiful album. One of the best pieces is A Boy and a Girl, a lyrical piece that is simply stunning. Eric Whitacre is growing in reputation as one of the best choral composers of this generation. This album cements that reputation.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious, 3 Oct 2012
This review is from: Cloudburst and other choral works (Audio CD)
It might be, and probably is, a highly technical piece of Choral work. Polyphony are well appreciated, but only choral buffs would get through a whole 40 minutes on high C.

5.0 out of 5 stars Divine, 31 Dec 2007
This review is from: Cloudburst and other choral works (Audio CD)
I'm more a Reggae/Dub/Soul kind of guy but got intrigued by the other reviews while surfing through the amazon CD section and decided to buy it: A brilliant piece of art - divine is the best description! And I'm not even into classic stuff ...

1.0 out of 5 stars Overrated, 9 April 2012
This review is from: Cloudburst and other choral works (Audio CD)
Having read several articles about Eric Whitacre and reviews of his music I decided that I ought to listen to it. Rather than buy a copy immediately I borrowed one from my local library. I'm so glad I did as the music was a considerable disappointment. I have no quarrel with either performance or recording as both seem to me to make the best possible case for Whitacre's music. But to my ears the music is unmemorable, soporific and bland and it was a real effort of will to listen right through to the end of the disc.

1.0 out of 5 stars dreary and irritating, 1 May 2008
J. F. Eardley (Staffs, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloudburst and other choral works (Audio CD)
I'm with Michael Hamilton on this one. Loads of polyphony in search of a melody and most irritating, particularly track 6 (When David heard) where the interminable "My son" had me tearing my hair out(at least the bit that's left!) Save your money and try the excellent Polyphony in " Nocturnes" or "Lux aeterna" by Morten Lauridson.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it, 1 Oct 2007
Mr. Michael Hamilton "RGS" (Worcester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloudburst and other choral works (Audio CD)
A 'nice' choral sound, but terribly monotonous. Its really difficult to tell one sugary piece from the other. I only listened to the CD once.

1.0 out of 5 stars very annoying music, 8 Oct 2010
This review is from: Cloudburst and other choral works (Audio CD)
Well, I bought this because I had really enjoyed a couple of CD's of music by Morten Lauridsen, and some reviews made me think I would enjoy this too. After about five minutes I became quite irritated, and by half way through the CD I wanted to scream and throw it at the tv. I threw it in the bin a couple of days later after trying again. Other people might think this sounds like being kissed by angels, to me it sounded like a bad migraine, an endless parade of gimics and clever harmonic effects, but not beautiful, really not!

Each to his/her own!

AB

5.0 out of 5 stars possibly the worlds most relaxing album, 20 April 2006
This review is from: Cloudburst and other choral works (Audio CD)
this is a album that have heard a lot of on classic fm and it is a abosultoutly amazing album. it has some beutifel unaccomponied chaoral singing that is beufittelly written and performed which is so relaxing. whttiker just shows that there is such a thing as good choral music after the death of the great composers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cloudburst and other choral works
Cloudburst and other choral works by Eric Whitacre (Audio CD - 2006)