5.0 out of 5 stars in a class of his own
I heard Derek Trucks on radio2 one evening and before the show was over had ordered 2 of his cd's from amazon. I have no regrets. His music is both brilliant and simple at the same time. A real breath of fresh air in a sea of mediocrity. Not only is the music a class act but his voice fits perfectly
Published on 2 July 2009 by Christopher J. Adby

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
This is the 1st Derek Trucks Band album I have bought so didn't know what to expect. Firstly there is no doubt he can play guitar and play it well.

I would liken his style to Joe Satriani, or even Santana. There were elements that were slightly more rock based which is my preferred style of blues but overall it was not my cup of tea.

Technically he...
Published on 31 May 2012 by Smartin

5.0 out of 5 stars in a class of his own, 2 July 2009
Christopher J. Adby (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songlines (Audio CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars ****1/2 stars - great album from the new electric slide ace, 16 Mar. 2006
Dr. M. Mckergow (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songlines (Audio CD)
This is a very cool collection of world-music influenced rock, with the masterful electric slide guitar of Derek Trucks to the fore. Although Trucks is only about 25, he already has around six albums to his name, and now plays the 'Duane' role in the newly-resurgent Allman Brothers Band. This collection features a few originals (I'll Find My Way, This Sky) alongside thoughtful versions of classics from a range of genres (check out Roland Kirk's Volunteered Slavery, and my own favourite I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free (best known to British audiences in the take by Ramsey Lewis, featured as the theme music to the BBC's film review programme). I'm only giving it four and a half stars as I'm sure there's an absolute classic from Derek Trucks somewhere around the corner...

5.0 out of 5 stars Have you seen them Live?, 9 May 2009
This review is from: Songlines (MP3 Download)
I bought this after seeing them live at The Plug Sheffield.
Watched and listened to them for years on the net and DVD.
It brings back the experience (I can think of no other way to describe the live concert - yes concert not gig) Quality of sound, musicianship and relaxed presentation.Not the excitement and adrenaline of Government Mule,something entirely different to the Allman Brothers Band, something superior in sound and variety to Joe Bonamassa.Sounds of Afro,soul (touch of Curtis Mayfield there?)blues,gospel and jazz with a touch of rock just for good measure.Derek displays a mastery of slide (or is it an electric violin, synthesizer or magical instument, people ask me)he must have an incredible touch to produce the range of sounds that he achieves. The band are all excellent in their abilities,can't fault any of them, so professional and happy to be there.
I felt mesmerized, it took me back to a park in Birmingham UK in the 60's watching, more so listening to, Indo Jazz Fusion.
I'm not one to sit back and watch a performance,I want to be there in it but this is so much more and suprisingly I relax and listen.
Just like Already Free, it has become an obsessive play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needle in a Haystack, 26 Feb. 2013
C. S. Stewart "inventor" (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songlines (Audio CD)
I just happened over this on youtube and Derek Trucks with his slide guitar just blew me away.
Obviously I enjoy some tracks over others, but I definitely have no regrets at all about buying this album.
Every time I listen to it I get more out of it.
Glad I found it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome mix of musical styles!, 14 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Songlines (Audio CD)
From the Gospel inflected singing to the funky rhythm section to the outstanding slide guitar - this is a cracking album.

Imagine a laid back blend of Curtis Mayfield, Little Feat, Indian music and Deep American Soul and blues and you're halfway there.

5.0 out of 5 stars let it grow, 24 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Songlines (Audio CD)
I got this on the strength of Derek's collaboration with CLapton and Co. At first I did not like this album because this is not really good old blues as I expected. But it does grow on you, and I realised I could not really want Derek to be guitarist number 30000 playing the good old blues ... This is a mix of great songs, various styles, very eclectic. I really like the man's voice, and of course he is in the top guitar bunch.
So get this album asap and give it at least 3 spins before judging. Recommended!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A sound all of its own, 21 July 2006
Raymond W. Butcher "R W Butcher" (Sydney Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songlines (Audio CD)
This was my introduction to Derek Trucks, from the opening bars you know you are listening to something different, fresh, interesting and technicaly masterfull. Beautifully recorded this CD has a real, you just gotta listen sound that drags you in and you soon find your hooked, cant wait to hear more.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENCE, 20 July 2009
This review is from: Songlines (Audio CD)
THE SONGLINES ALBUM IS AN EXCELLENT INTRODUCTION TO THE SKILL AND DIVERSITY OF THIS FINE YOUNG GUITARIST, SINCE IT ARRIVED FROM AMAZON, IT HAS VIRTUALLY LIVED IN MY CAR CD PLAYER, AND ALSO DOMINATED MY MP3 PLAYER. FRIENDS I'VE PLAYED SONGLINES TO, HAVE ALSO GONE ON TO BUY OTHER ALBUMS OF HIS, CULMINATING IN THE SURPRISE OF FINDING THE GROUP WERE PLAYING IN BIRMINGHAM, ONE OF ONLY THREE GIGS IN THE U.K. AND WHAT AN AWESOME NIGHT IT WAS TOO... I'VE JUST ORDERED ANOTHER OF HIS BACK CATALOGUE......

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 21 Jan. 2013
Wiggins (Sarf London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songlines (Audio CD)
If, like me, you're into slide guitar, then this is a great album and I would particularly recommend the track "Chevrolet" (I also suggest you have a look on YouTube for the version where the vocals are mixed out - it's stunning). Having said that, the band are great and the vocals are strong, my only negative is that a couple of the songs lack a little bit of stucture and will probably appeal mostly to those already enamoured with the sublime playing of Mr Trucks.

This CD is currently available on Amazon for a shade over a fiver so, even if you're not sure, it's well worth taking a punt.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Blues, 10 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Songlines (Audio CD)
This is yet another album from the Derek Trucks Band that does not disappoint; I was particularly impressed with the bass in a number of tracks including track one 'volunteered slavery'. I was also impressed with the number of variations that they have got into this one album. Very good

Songlines
Songlines by Derek Trucks Band (Audio CD - 2006)