5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, Challenging, Original
Published on 19 Feb 2006 by Pepperpots

2.0 out of 5 stars Highly overrated
This game is receiving rave reviews everywhere and has been named game of the year on numerous websites but I cant for the life of me see why.
Published on 15 Feb 2006 by stewart_salmon

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, Challenging, Original, 19 Feb 2006
Pepperpots (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Psychonauts (PS2) (Video Game)
Speaking as a woman it is not often I find a game that I actually like! Most involve constant killing (be it fantasy or military) or sports (take your pick). I love puzzles, so apart from a handful of games (Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Sphinx (Cursed Mummy) ...) there was never much that appealed to me. I don't mind a little action if it is balanced by good stories, puzzles and other challenges. Killing on its own - nah! Psychonauts turns out to be just such a game. Great story, weird, likeable graphics, music, characters, monsters, minds (dungeons to games aficionados). Some very challenging puzzles and some fun skills for those times when you need to outwit and/or slaughter baddies!
The game is essentially based on the theme of the psyche and psychics, but not quite in the way you might expect. The main character Raz, sneaks into a summer camp and is due to be “expelled” as he is not there legitimately. So he sets about trying to train as a fully qualified Psychonaut in the short time he has before Papa comes to drag him away. This means learning to use his mind in a variety of different ways, which all takes training and challenges to perfect. But as he learns he has to unravel the minds/moods/secrets of different people he encounters by literally going into their minds and dealing with whatever is there.
Given the wealth of games on the market it is an achievement to come up with something original and this is original. If you like Tim Burton then the graphics will suit you as will the humour, the weirdness and the occasional dark under/overtones. If you like games with more than fighting in them then I would strongly recommend this game.
Oh, and my teenage son who is a first person shooter fanatic (Battlefield 2 and Counterstrike take up many of his waking hours) thought this a great game too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, with a few little problems, 13 Jun 2006
J. Gordon "Josh" (Stockton-on-tees, England.) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Psychonauts (PS2) (Video Game)
Psychonauts is an amazing game. From a distance it appears to be a fairly standard platforming game but once you are introduced to the characters and the story the whole thing expands into an amazingly quaint and hilarious universe. The characters are brilliant, the voice work is top notch, the story is delightfully twisted and the humour is suprisingly mature. The whole world of the game is very Tim Burton-esque, but not in a rip-off kind of way, in a more original and good way. The visual style and art direction is fabulous, the sound is great too. Okay, so these are all the good points...

On the down side, the Playstation 2 version of this title does lack alot of the visual flare that the Xbox and PC versions hold, so if you have a PC or an Xbox, you should definitely consider grabbing this game on those platforms. There are a few annoying bugs in the game, sometime the soundtrack will double over on it self so you can hear two layers of the same tune simultaneously but they are slightly out of synch. This can be annoying, but it's not a massive problem. Whatever you do, make sure you get to play this game with a console style analog controller.

All in all, a brilliant game for those who like quirky, crazy chracters and a crazy plot that will keep you chuckling throughout, and even platforming fans looking for something a little different. Awesome stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked to the end, 14 Dec 2006
rachelcreative (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Psychonauts (PS2) (Video Game)
I really enjoyed Psychonauts. I was worried it might be a bit childish - but apart from a few of the cutscenes I was really pleased. It had lots of humour, it's difficulty increased gently, loads to explore, got to use my brain, lasted for ages. I loved it!

I liked the way that challenges changed - so I had to fight, I had to jump, but then I had to learn to float too in one level too! It kept me interested - enough variety without a milion button combinations to remember. And I had to use my brain to crack the levels too - not just jump, jump, jump, shoot!

If you like the same sort of things from a game as me this is a great one to go for. I like a bit of quirkiness, a bit of a story, good characters, some humour, some puzzles, ability to do it in my own time, dying doesn't wipe out all my previous efforts every time, enough variety in levels and tasks to keep me interested, good animation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tim Schafer churns out yet another classic, 11 Mar 2007
M. D. Pellett - See all my reviews
This review is from: Psychonauts (PS2) (Video Game)
Pyschonauts doesn't really accomplish anything new in terms of platforming gameplay. There's the linear progression from level to level (cunningly broken up by the central hub), bosses for each stage which require you to exploit a single weakness over and over again, and the usual hunt for a multitude of collectables. Occasionally the sound stutters when loading from the disc and it's not until the final few stages that the game truly breaks into its stride. So with those confessions out of the way it may be surprising to discover that, despite these setbacks, Pyschonauts is an essential purchase for anybody even remotely interested in video games (and maybe even for some who are not).

This isn't your average platformer. It may look like one from the outside, but once you begin to explore the world open to you, begin to talk to your fellow cadets, you'll discover that Psychonauts is more than the sum of its parts.

You play as Raz, a young boy who breaks into the Whispering Rock Summer Camp with dreams of becoming a Psychonaut. One capture and three (yes three) training levels later and you're off investigating lake monsters and mad scientists who steal other peoples' brains. If the game wasn't as charming, or as funny, as it is then this slow start would be somewhat hard to swallow, but it's not until you've completed the latter stages that you realize how much the beginning pales in comparison; you're just having too much fun initially to notice anything wrong.

These stages aren't just different locations however, they actually take place inside of the minds of other people. The training levels are hosted by the three instructors of the camp and once completed you'll be equipped with a few new powers with which you can access further locations and protect yourself from the dangers that you encounter. Also, you'll gain the most valuable item of all... a door. With this door in hand (it's a very small door) you can attach it to the head of characters that you meet (characters being the word of choice for not all are humans) and delve into their mind to help solve their problems. So begins the adventure that is Pyschonauts.

What makes Psychonauts so unique is its unashamedly disjointed approach to each level. As every mind that you delve into is different, each owner fraught with their own personal demons, there's no continuity in the places that you visit. Instead, every location is a fresh new experience, and you never feel that you're being asked to do the same thing over and over again. From the kaleidoscope of vibrant colours that adorn the habitat of the artist to the giant puzzle of the theatre within the failed actress, repetition is certainly not an issue.

Tim Schafer's influence is clear to see. Anybody even remotely familiar with his previous works (the greatest nod being towards Grim Fandango) will feel more than at home with Psychonauts. The dark, sometimes twisted (indeed not all that dissimilar from Tim Burton's) humour which is the lifeblood of his games flows through Psychonauts from start to finish. In truth, by the last stage the belly-laughs have made way for little more than wry smiles, but the quality that is sustained for a good 80% of the game is truly fantastic. Anybody who fails to roll about in laughter at the wonderfully psychotic mind of the milkman, a convoluted suburban American street polluted by secret agents that fuel his paranoia, is dead inside. And as for that lungfish...

A review of Psychonauts wouldn't be complete without mention of its sublime sound effects. In fact, much of the Pixar-esq feel that flows through the game can be attributed to the superb voice acting. Lines are delivered with clinical precision, both in timing and quality, and the actors clearly give it their all. There are few games which are blessed with both a fantastic script and perfect acting, but Psychonauts can rightly claim to be one of them.

Regardless of age, sex or usual gaming preference, there aren't many people that would be disappointed with what Pyschonauts has to offer. Get past the initial feeling of it being a meagre platformer dressed up pretending to be something else and you'll discover a memorable game that deserves as many accolades as it can get. If Psychonauts is left as just a single game then a great injustice would be committed. Although there is a nod towards a sequel there is an even greater shout for a film to be released. With the story, visual stylings and voice acting all set up perfectly, all Pixar need to do is snap up the license and churn out what would be a sure fire hit. I know I'll be the first in line for a ticket.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good under-rated platform game., 27 May 2009
Dragonlord (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Psychonauts (PS2) (Video Game)
Psychonauts is from the same great minds that gave us the Monkey Island games and Grim Fandango. As you would expect from these creators there is lots of really funny humour through out the game. The graphics are cartoon like and a bit strange looking but look good. As far as 3D cartoon platform games go this is one that I have enjoyed the most since Mario 64. The reasons being is Psychonauts has lots of cool original ideas and it really did make me laugh alot. So if you want a good platform game for your PS2 this is definitely one of the better ones to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 28 Dec 2006
This review is from: Psychonauts (PS2) (Video Game)
I came across this game in HMV the other day while buying Fifa 07. I loved Day of the Tentacle so I thought I might give it a shot.

Five minutes later... Fifa cast aside... I was totally immersed in the game. I've kept playing it since and although it only took about 4-5 days to complete it is still one of my favourites.

I think the best bit is keeps you playing as you unlock new powers/upgrades as you rise in level; i.e. your levitation ball becomes a wrecking at full speed etc.

Although the graphics are a slight let down, the gameplay itself is really structured and it has a gentle learning curve!!!!!!!!! very uncommon in most games. Each puzzle requires a bit more thinking tha the last and if your really puzzled, like me most of the time, youcan use a strip of bacon to get some advice, simple!

All in all a great game

5.0 out of 5 stars Roast Squirrel Dinner., 22 Oct 2010
This game is amazing.

I'm not even exaggerating.

I bought it on a whim because an angry Australian blog writer (Yahtzee) told me that it was incredible.

And gosh darn he was right!

I actually went out and bought a pair of goggles to wear to college because the main character wears them and he.is.cool.

Also, setting squirrels on fire with the power of my mind, highlight of my life.

The only annoying thing is the speech, there are no subtitles so you have to listen to it because it tells you where the next place you need to go is and when you live in a busy family like mine, I often missed some vital instructions and dialogue that I can't watch again!

However, that aside, the characters are fantastic, the story line is superb and the different worlds inside people's heads are innovative and exciting.

Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most unique platformer I've ever played., 6 July 2007
Robert Jardim "Silverfish" (Preston, Lancs) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Psychonauts (PS2) (Video Game)
Psychonauts plays like a good single player game should - it feel like a great story, with a game attached. The majority of the game takes place inside other characters' minds, each mental plane more intriguing than the last. My favourite moments were when you decided to jump into someone's head...the excitement and the curiosity of waiting to see what crazy world the designers had planned for you next. A personal highlight for me was The Milkman Conspiracy - I was grinning ear to ear all the way through.

I rated this game 4 stars for fun because it does have some frustrating bits that aren't helped by the control/collision detection - particularly the ending sequence, which got rather annoying. These are not game-breaking and they're rather infrequent.

Psychonauts is not for everyone. It's not really suitable for beginners, or impatient people. You have to be willing to put up with it's slight quirks...but if you, you'll find yourself playing one of the most memorable games that the PS2 era has produced.

I am the Milkman. My milk is delicious.

2.0 out of 5 stars Highly overrated, 15 Feb 2006
This review is from: Psychonauts (PS2) (Video Game)
In my opinion it is a very substandard platformer, easily beaten by any of the Jak & Daxter games. The camera is terrible regularly getting stuck inside other objects, the controls are messy, the graphics are grainy and drab and the age old collect so many items in each area gameplay is mind numbingly boring.
The only saving grace is the voice acting and some of the jokes - excellently done and very funny. This isnt enough to save the game however.
I suspect the high reviews are due to fans of the games author who was responsible for a couple of Lucasarts excellent graphic adventures (Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle). I suggest you play them instead of this!

Psychonauts (PS2)
Psychonauts (PS2) by THQ (PlayStation2)