5.0 out of 5 stars Outrun fulfils the legend of the '80s!!
Published on 2 May 2006 by Mr. David M. Boswell

3.0 out of 5 stars Old Skool
Outrun is a modern blast from the past. A true coin-op style arcade racer.

There are plenty of modes of play and plenty of races. All are typical arcade style with still dated graphics and corny music. The game is pretty fast though but great fun it is in small doses.

If you are looking for a retro racer, you won't do much better than this. It...
Published on 2 Dec 2008 by Duncan McDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Outrun fulfils the legend of the '80s!!, 2 May 2006
Mr. David M. Boswell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PS2) (Video Game)
I never bought Turbo Outrun as an '80s kid. The box looked nice and I liked the idea of impressing your sexy blonde passenger while you race! However, it got some bad reviews on the Atari ST (my machine of choice at the time) and I thought better of it. However, it's now 20 years on and after playing this new 3D modelled game in the arcade, I was longing to play it on the PS2. The Xbox version of Outrun SP (which is also included as a bonus feature of Outrun 2006) arrived 2 years ago and the graphics were so good it was not thought possible to convert it to the PS2 :-(

2 years on and the sequel is here and SEGA (and SUMO DIGITAL their external development peeps) have managed to cram the lusciously animated Americano roadsides and cityscapes onto the PS2!! It's simply genius!! Not only that but they've included a coast 2 coast mode which has you racing across a fantasy America completing races/girlfriend pleasing stunts in order to progress through the game and also earn money to buy cars, new music tracks/remixes and new courses! The girlfriend missions add loads of variety and can include many requests from skidding for prolonged periods of time, overtaking cars, not crashing or amongst other zany things dodging UFO tractor beams!!!

What makes the game however is the sense of momentum and speed which is really exhilarating! More importantly however, is the fact that its physics engine has NOT been made realistic in one key area - the cornering - it's all the more FUN for it!! You can skid (or DRIFT as it's called in the game) at up to 90 degrees to the road direction on some corners while still travelling forward! This is amazingly fun to do. It may not be a simulated Formula One experience type game, but it's the MOST FUN ARCADE RACER I have ever played!! At last the SEGA classic has lived up to its early promise!!

P.S. The music is amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars My review, 21 April 2006
This review is from: Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PS2) (Video Game)
The first thing you see when you boot up outrun 2006 is the lovely.....confusing menus. I'm sure everyone knows

the outrun games to be very nice and colourfull well this does not hold back on everything flashy. Outrun 2006 has

only Ferrari cars in it ( 8 if your wondering ) - which is not a bad thing. We have the Dino 256 GTS, 365 GTS 4,

F50, 360 Spider, Testarossa, 288 GTO, Enzo ferrari and finally the F40 all sexy cars yours to be driven sideways

like a crazy fool. Outrun is famous for sliding around Corners at 180 Mph while dodging cars on the way.

Theres not a story mode to outrun 2006 the single player has 5 modes - coast - 2 - coast, outrun, heart attack, time attack

and showroom. Coast - 2 - coast lets you race.....coast to coast while completing tasks, outrun has you race to your

goal it also has the race tracks from Outrun2 SP (arcade version of outrun). Heart attack lets you show off your driving

skills to win your girlfriends heart the better you are the more hearts you get. Get hearts by driving through hoops,

collecting coins and many more. In Time Attack you race against the timer. And finally Showroom lets you buy extra stuff

with your mph's which you collect you can buy cars, music, race tracks, upgrades.

Outrun 2006 has a mulitplayer where up to 6 players can play over LAN or Online. LAN is just getting your friends

around to you place for a race.Outrun 2006 has online play which has these options - Quick race, Custom game, Create game.

The Multiplayer settings are loaded - Ranking, Lobby name, friend slots, course type, car settings, catch up and other excellent options. Drifting in outrun 2006 is not using R1 the drifting is more real while going in to a corners let go of the Gas, hit sidways (left or right) and slam the brakes then hit the Gas again now your sideways its hard to get the hang of but you'll master it soon you'll get AAA.Overall Outrun 2006 coast 2 coast is a excellent game which is a must buy may have a little faults along that way but you'll soon forget those faults when you look at those sexy ferraris and enviroments.

Final score: 8/10

Likes:

* Flashy menu

* Wonderfull cars

* The enviroment while driving

* That feeling when you get a AAA

Dislikes:

* No damage to cars

* Failing a task

* The confusing menu

* The time limit

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic nostalgia trip!, 2 May 2006
N. Pollard (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PS2) (Video Game)
Despite the flashy graphics and sophisticated plotlines of the latest console games, I find that they rarely hold my interest for long. Maybe I'm getting too old? I've also tried buying some retro "arcade classics" compilations, to try to capture some of the magic that games seemed to have 20-years ago, but, if anything, they just look dated.

This latest incarnation of Out Run, though, succeeds where modern racing games have, in my opinion, failed. No need to mess around for hours tuning your car, trying to work out the perfect racing line, or passing complicated driving tests - just jump in, switch the stereo to "Magical Sound Shower" and enjoy the cartoon-style landscape of Miami beach as you race your Ferrari to the next checkpoint!

Coast 2 Coast manages to capture all of the excitement and kitch of the original, while taking full advantage of the power of the PS2. Kids might find it too easy by modern standards, but for those who loved the original arcade game, this is guaranteed to bring back all the excitement of the summer of '86.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game but doesn't work on PS2 compatible PS3., 6 Sep 2012
This review is from: Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PS2) (Video Game)
One of the great games I kept when I sold my PS2 after getting my Playstation 3. I got mine a shortly after they came out so I have a backwards compatible model great......except that frustratingly this is the only game I have tried that doesn't work. Granted I get the title screen but, click to play and it just hangs...oh why must you tease me so.

I'm so close to buying an old PS2 just to play this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic game for a new generation, 12 Nov 2010
This review is from: Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PS2) (Video Game)
it's 1991 my mum takes me by the hand to run down market stall selling second hand commodore 64 games, it's there i see it in all it's glory- Outrun, i put my hands in my pockets pull out all the copper i have, after about 5 minutes of counting i hand the 2.99 the stall holder wants and hold in my hand my first copy of Outrun, when home i switch on my comodore 64 and place the cassette- yes cassette - into the computer, although to play the game fully you needed to go through about 8 different cassettes i instantly fall in love with the game, it was the first type of game to make you feel you were actully driving a car, so when they realised outrun 2006 for the ps2 i jumped at the chance to take a step back in time to my youth and i was not disapointed!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars OutRun 2006, 3 Dec 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PS2) (Video Game)
I bought this game for my 7 year old son and he found it quite difficult at first. It was quite frustrating for him as the time runs out quickly and we haven't found any way to make the settings easier. Having said that, he has got more used to it and now enjoys the challenge. With good graphics and some catchy tunes to drive along, it is now one of his favourite games to play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia revived, 12 July 2006
Big Ham "Told you so!" (Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PS2) (Video Game)
I was instantly a fan of the original Outrun when it hit the arcades in 1986. As a kid I thought nothing could top that game - the graphics the sound, gameplay and addiction factor were overwhelming.

When it was converted on to home consoles it disappointed - a lot. Childhood dream shattered then, I waited years for something equally as good. Other versions came and went - Outrun Europa & Turbo Outrun to name a couple, but nothing really blew the skirt up like the original arcade classic.

Then last year Outrun Coast to Coast was released. I remember thinking as I paid for it online - I bet its gonna be rubbish I was even thinking if it was as bad as I thought then I'd put it back up for sale.

Reality check - its marvellous! If you like me are after an arcade racer with silky smooth graphics, gameplay and a remixed soundtrack - then this is for you. It lives up to the original by having predefined courses only now there are other modes to add some spice. I managed to get one of those cheats that unlocked all cars and courses - I was in Nostalgia heaven for hours.

If however you're expecting some sort of driving simulator - dont bother.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PS2) (Video Game)
classic among classics, inprescindible think that marked an era and a game that is fun, addictive, great, all words are few

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic game brought up to date, 15 Mar 2014
Pascalean (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PS2) (Video Game)
This is a real blast from the past. It's one of those games that you can just pick up and play for a few minutes if you happen to have your old PS2 out - and really has the feel of the original with Sega's fantastic music and arcadey graphics. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars great game, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PS2) (Video Game)
great game for my 7 yr old son to play, he loves the way you can change the music playing on the cars stereo,
a great retro game def 5 star

Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PS2)
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PS2) by Sega (PlayStation2)
8.01