5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz. Smooth. Nice. BJORK!?!
Love it to pieces. This is 50+ mins / 16 tracks of live studio recordings with a Jazz trio - Bjork obviously providing the typically perfect vocals. This is all top notch Jazz from the very first second, and considering these were live recordings, the production and musicianship seems all the more outstanding.
This helped me get over the dissapointment that was...
Published on 10 Jan. 2001 by chis@matrik.ndo.co.uk

1.0 out of 5 stars Bjork +Jazz = Awful
I love Bjork. I love jazz. This should work,but it doesn't. Terrible.
Published on 25 Jun. 2006 by Mr. John Middleton

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz. Smooth. Nice. BJORK!?!, 10 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Gling-Glo (Audio CD)
This helped me get over the dissapointment that was Selmasongs (too short, missing a song or two from Dancer In The Dark), and instantly became my fave Bjork album, if anything because so many of the songs are so very memorable. Standout tracks include: Gling-Glo, Tondeleyo, Luktar-Gvendur and Bella Simamaer - this is a must get for Bjork fans (there's trad, slow and a few other styles of Jazz here, so I believe "diverse" describes this album quite well).
Last note: most of the songs are Icelandic I believe, and the final two are English (and there could be other languages here too, I've no idea to be honest :). Believe me when I say - this DEFINITELY won't bother you in the slightest, even if you can't speak the languages. Doesn't bother me at all - can I say exotic (yes, she is :)?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Queen Of Cool, 17 Feb. 2009
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gling-Glo (Audio CD)
Bjork sings Icelandic jazz.

Well, it's a first for me and the shameful thing is that,
until I found it here, I had no knowledge of it's existence.

Messrs Ingolfsson (piano), Steingrimsson (drums) and Hognason (bass)
accompany our heroine in a quirky collection of 16 well chosen songs.

Recorded in 1990 the album is a truly surreal experience.

Everything we have come to know and love about Bjork's
extraordinary vocal and interpretive abilities is captured
here in barmy idiosyncratic splendour.

Golly where to start ?!

How about the benignly bonkers 'You Can't Get A Man With A Gun'
from Rogers and Hammerstein's musical 'Annie Get Your Gun' (!!).

Or the totally bizarre Italianate cadences of 'Bella Simamaer'.

The latin rhythms of 'Kata Rokkar' provide the background
to a stunningly raw and raucous vocal performance.

Title track 'Gling Glo' is a magical music box brimful of wonders.

The general mood is playful. It really does sound like everyone
involved in the project is having good time.

On the glimmering edge of a phenomenally successful
solo career Bjork's star shines just as brightly here
as almost everything else which was to follow.

Enchanting.

4.0 out of 5 stars The only Bjork Album your Dad would like, 18 May 2008
This review is from: Gling-Glo (Audio CD)
I must admit to being rather disappointed with this album. Not because it is bad but because it is so conventional. This is a typical (although rather good) jazz trio of bass, drums and piano (with an added melodica on track on 14) and Bjork's extraordinary vocals being the only thing to distinguish this from 1000s of other albums.

Most of the album is sung in Icelandic with only the last 2 in English. However, there are several familiar tunes along the way . I heard "Sway" (track 13), "Oh Mein Papa" (track 4) and a very familiar tune on track 9 which I can't place. The title track is by far the best and one of Bjork's best ever recordings in my opinion. The 2nd is also beautiful (and possibly a well known song too). There are a few wildly over the top vocal performances which are difficult to listen to (including Ruby Baby), a few deliberately comic numbers but the rest are all lovely. If you love Bjork's dance music and more recent output then you probably won't like this but if you think her version of "it's all so quiet" is the best thing she's done this this is more likely to appeal. To sum up - possibly the only Bjork album your Dad could listen to - unless he's a very trendy Dad!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking album - buy it, 27 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Gling-Glo (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite albums, and is a must for anyone who likes music. It is Bjork at her best (I think), and is a really good jazz-style album as well. You can't help tapping your foot as you listen along, and I can listen to it anytime / anywhere. The fact that most tracks are sung in Icelandic doesn't matter, they still sound great.

5.0 out of 5 stars bjork v's jazz.... hmmm nice, 3 Oct. 2007
no name (manchester/england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gling-Glo (Audio CD)
Ive been a big bjork fan for many years and i came accross this album by chance in a local store and figured id give it a try. I must confess i was a little surprised that its vitually all sung in icelandic (or old norsk?) but after getting over that it soon becomes apparent that bjork sounds good in any language and the chilled out sound of groovy jazz makes for a wonderful album thats easy on the ears and sophisticated at the same time, buying the album should be an easy choice for any fan of bjorks

4.0 out of 5 stars Hesitate, 16 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Gling-Glo (Audio CD)
I read all the reviews and was hesitant to order this 'Björk' album.

As described by other reviewers this is essentially a jazz album with Björk as the singer. The jazz players are good, and I would be delighted to be at a live performance by them, but for me the playing does not have the extra something to make it exciting. The vocals are distinctively Björk, but not so much as her solo albums. Then there is the language issue - only two songs are in English, so unless you understand (what I assume is) Icelandic, the words are going to elude you.

The impression is that the participants enjoyed making the album, and it does make pleasant listening.

Overall I would be hesitant to recommend this album to anyone except someone like myself that already has most of Björk's solo recordings - buy those first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album, 8 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Gling-Glo (Audio CD)
I like this album.A superb,lasting piece of work.Highly recommend it and for any age group, you'll be dead chuffed with it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A true work of greatness., 12 Jun. 2006
Pete (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gling-Glo (Audio CD)
On first play of this album, I was thinking, 'oh no... its jazz', and from my previously held experience of being just a casual appreciator of jazz it was a fragile uncertainty whether I would be able to appreciate Bjork's collaboration with the style being played by the musicians who I have since discovered make up the musical trio.

My initial preconceived expectations however were short lived, and far from it being a let-down (as I thought it could 'possibly maybe'), after adjusting to my 'jazz mode', and hearing Bjork grace her wondrousness to this genre, I listened throughout with non-depreciative excitement and great appreciation till the final moment, only to want more.

The lyrics to all but two of the tracks (Bjork sings these two in English) I understand are sang in Icelandic, so if you can't interpret this language, then like me, you won't understand what she is singing about throughout most of the album. If however, you couldn't really care about lyrics, and consider Bjork's talents overriding of this fact, then like me you will love it.

This is an early collaboration for Bjork (released 1990?), and although not the type of music style I have heard her sing on before, she is (by a consistently acknowledged standard), an unbelievably talented singer/performer. Her ability and presence on this work enhances what would otherwise be just another Jazz record. Cute and lovably performed her passionate contribution is like always, but perhaps more so here, a total joy to listen to.

As for the musicians, all instruments are played to a high standard, ability and quality and you can tell they are seasoned professionals and masters of their music. Drums, double bass, and piano, as well as additional percussion form the bulk of the work with the musical range varying from chilled to upbeat in a categorically Jazz style, a description which fails to fully explain the full extent of diversity throughout.

Of particular appreciation and notability for me is the relationship by which Bjork and the Pianist merge. The other musicians styles form the basis of the rhythm, and very nicely done, but the Piano playing relationship with Bjork and solo sections are breathtaking!.

For me, this stands out as a true work of greatness, and given that the sole reason I acquired this was to hear more Bjork which could possibly be your motive also, I can report that not only did I get that in a high and quality dosage, but I also got so much more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, unpredictable and good, 28 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Gling-Glo (Audio CD)
A really good jazz album, by anyone's standards. The fact that Bjork sings in Icelandic for most of the album is almost secondary... But not quite. It's quirky and unpredictable. I especially love her version of Kate the Rocker (also known by different names, of course).

5.0 out of 5 stars the early Icelandic Diva, 25 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Gling-Glo (Audio CD)
Björk at her best. To me, the most interesting album she's released and also one of my favourite albums ever, despite being a very early piece on her repertoire. The album is very moving, due to her strong and unique voice, making the fact that it's almost entirely sung in Icelandic a detail. It transcends language. The quality of the lyrics is exquisite - I recommend its download in English. A truly magic CD, hence my 5 star rating.

Gling-Glo [VINYL]
Gling-Glo [VINYL] by Björk (Vinyl - 2006)
Click for more info