5.0 out of 5 stars GO BUY THIS NOW!
This is an absolutely gorgeous album. John Grant has a voice that sends chills down your spine. His rendition of these covers, especially Abba's 'Angel Eyes' (and how!), "You don't know what love is" and the sublime "Song to the Siren", are very moving and once heard, will echo in your mind for long afterward. Lovely vocals, rousing chorus, understated acoustic and pedal...
Published on 18 May 2006 by Ms. K. M. Drozario

2.0 out of 5 stars Pointless
Yes, he has a great voice but unless there are great songs, as there are with the John Grant solo stuff, all you get are so-so versions of so-so songs. Nothing really grabs you and I'm too old to waste time listening to this. John Grant doesn't rate his Czars records. He's right.
Published 11 months ago by Kludge

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifull vocal performance, 14 May 2013
Mr. D. Turner - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sorry I Made You Cry (Audio CD)
Having Discovered John Grant through his Queen of Denmark album I tried the Czars as he was lead singer.He has a fabulous voice and sings these covers against a paired down backing.The choice of songs without gender change in the lyrics reflect his gay sensibilities,and though I at first found "where the boys are" amusing,his performance on all the tracks overide any such consideration.This was a bargain price but would be well worth full price. Other highlights include the Abba song "Angel Eyes,My funny Valentine though there are no duds at all.A really captivating album

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what is says on the tin, 4 April 2012
This review is from: Sorry I Made You Cry (Audio CD)
I only came across the album because I heard the John Grant version of Angel Eyes on the Dermot O'Leary Saturday Sessions album, and loved it, so I checked out more. And when I discovered his band had done a cover of what is in my eyes, one of the greatest songs ever written - Where The Boys Are, I just knew I had to get the CD. There is something so mournful about Grant's voice that it makes you want to cry. His cover of For Emily by Simon and Garfunkel is so downbeat, I actually had tears in my eyes. I absolutely loathe Patsy Cline, and yet he makes Strange sound fresh and new.

If you want something to lift your mood, I'd avoid this album like the plague. But if you want reflective, beautiful music that puts a new spin on traditional songs, then I'd say buy buy buy. Just make sure you have a box of tissues at hand!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love to listen to this., 30 Jan 2009
Mr. J. Mclaughlan (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sorry I Made You Cry (Audio CD)
This is a fabulous album. I got it because of word of mouth re the Abba song "Angel Eyes" which I paid no attention to re Abba, (much as I love them.) The Czars make the song into a stand alone ballad, full of depth and longing. The package is great. "Where the boys are sung" like this is a revelation.

Now on my ipod; I love this music.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pointless, 9 May 2013

ARRAY(0xb142e084)

Sorry I Made You Cry
Sorry I Made You Cry by Czars (Audio CD - 2010)