4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing mix of Court Room and chiller
With such a recent plethora of movies based on torture and gore to achieve their chills, it is refreshing to find a movie that retains some intelligence and still manages to get a few spine-chilling moments, with barely a speck of blood or guts to be seen.
First and foremost, this is a court room drama. And yet there is an interesting twist, because the subject is...
Published on 20 Jun 2008 by Mr. Stephen Kennedy

Published on 4 Mar 2008 by LK

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Scary Movie, 28 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Exorcism Of Emily Rose [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Being a huge fan of horror movies I watched this expecting nothing more than a few jumps followed by the usual sense of disappointment. However, I couldn't have been more wrong.

The film jumps between court-room scenes and flash-backs and I found that each time it switched to past events I felt more and more uneasy until I was genuinely scared at the start of each of these scenes.

Once the movie had finished - as another reviewer said - I was frightened well into the night. I did actually wake up during the night but refused to look at the clock!

If horror's your thing - this will not disappoint - but be prepared to be actually scared for a change.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary with a capital S !, 21 Aug 2008
Paul Mainwaring "Mainbeam" (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
I watched this on my PS3 with a Sony surround sound system and it did not disapoint.The film itself is very well directed with some excellent 'moments',i dont want to spoil the film by mentioning them.
The film scared the hell out of me and my girlfriend,the type of film that plays on your mind when you go to bed.
Take my advice - watch this in broad daylight !!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good thought provoking film based very loosely on true-life events, 4 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Exorcism Of Emily Rose [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I did some research on the true story behind 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose' after watching the film. The possession was on a German girl and shokingly I found that the true events were much worse than the film's version. The girl suffered for something like 8 years and during that time she refused to eat because the spirits wouldnt allow it, beat and bit members of her family, began eating spiders and flies and even began drinking her own urine. It was also mentioned that she was infact possesed by several demons including Lucifer, Judas Iscariot, Nero, Cain, Hitler, and Fleischmann, a disgraced Frankish Priest from the 16th century, and some other damned souls which had manifested through her. By the time of her death she was suffering from pneumonia, a high fever and was also totally emaciated. It started at the age of 16 and finished when she was 24. The exorcisms were recorded and aparently in the real court, the tapes were played - one of them seemed to be demons fighting over who would leave her body first. The parents and exorsists were sentenced with man-slaughter and sent to prison for 6 months.

Compare this to the films version, the film actually looks quite mild. I have a few problems with the film.

A) There is too much of this film that is based in the court room for this to be a horror (although there are some disturbing scenes). In the end this film is more a very thought provokative drama

B) I don't believe that this should claim to be based on true events. The real events were in Germany with a girl named Anneliese. And since the whole film is about the court case after her death, and the outcome was the complete opposite to what happened in the film.

What suprises me most about this film is that the films events were softened for the big screen compared to the real-life events. Usually I would have thought that Hollywood would if anything exaggerate the horror of what happened to make the story more exciting.

However saying all that, after the initial disappointment of realising this wasn't a gruesom horror film, I was still kept interested throughout the film and obviously touched as it is a very sad story. So much so that I went internet surfing to find the true story behind it all.

I would recommend to all those who like sad stories or court dramas. I would not recommend to anyone who is looking for a horror or anything like the Exorcist.

4.0 out of 5 stars What happened to Emily?, 18 Jan 2006
This review is from: The Exorcism Of Emily Rose [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Based on a true story. In 1976, the Catholic Church officially recognised the demonic possession of a German college freshman. During her exorcism the young woman died and the priest stood trial for causing her death.
Academy Award nominee Laura Linney plays an attorney who defends the priest. The case reawakens her faith.
Now I don't particularly like horror films, I feel that they are predictable, stupid and all the same. The true story of Emily Rose though made me change my views.
Based on a true story, this film is very high-tempo and is brilliantly performed. Good acting and directing makes this film a hit for horror fans, and for non-horror fans. A film for anyone who doesn't mind minor violence and a chill down their spine.
Excellent film, well worth a watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy and unnerving, 19 Jun 2006
Ibraar 'Le Saracen' "le_saracen" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Exorcism Of Emily Rose [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
For myself the film worked well - I have just watched it on Sky Box Office and it is now 0259am - which is one of the themes in the film.

Apart from what other reviewers have stated I would like to add that I was scared after watching the film. The film made me think, made my mind play tricks with me, made me look over my shoulder, at the ajar door, at my reflection, made my imagination run wild - made me wonder at the central theme;

DO DEMONS EXIST?

in fact it quite freaked me out, something which no other film has managed to do (I think Exorcist was bunkum) I ended up turning the lights on and all sorts of stuff - can't believe a 32 year old man is letting his imagination run away with him after watching a film!!

So, yes, good movie, watch it at night, when alone in the house for full effect - but don't watch it if you feel you have some inate cowardliness inside you!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good film. I loved it, 26 Sep 2009
This review is from: The Exorcism Of Emily Rose [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Another horror that gave me the creeps. I have watched the exorcist which I found funny. Funny but so cool. This film is great. I is different from any horror I have ever watched and still got me jumping out my skin and hiding under the covers. This is why I watch horrors. This was the best horror I ever brought (apart from possessed and the omen) and I am glad someone recommended it to me. Its great. I watch it all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emily Rose Exorcism, 19 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Exorcism Of Emily Rose [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
A very good film. I am not that used to horrors, except you can't say that, as it's based on a true story. I would recommend it highly, very well done. I thought it was gripping and interesting and you can't beleive it happened.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't watch this at 3.00 a.m., 8 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Exorcism Of Emily Rose [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
This is an unusual mix of courtroom drama and old-school horror. As the former it's reasonably, though not notably, successful, but where this film does score is in its depiction of the torment and fear suffered by the eponymous teenage girl who believes herself possessed by demons. This is a movie that provides shudders through the things glimpsed in the dark rather than those that leap out at you dripping gore. Creeping dread is created with little more than suggestion, and, although the exorcism itself is dealt with more explicitly, this is where the film is at its most effective.

However much of this is faithful to the real story (which involved a poor Bavarian girl), and whether you side with the scientific or the spiritual explanation of these tragic events, this still a gripping story that is let down only by poor pacing and structure. It deserves four stars, however, for the way it handles the fear of the unknown.

5.0 out of 5 stars The straw man proof of a negative, 17 Dec 2013
Ken Raus "Ken Raus" (Lugdunum) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Exorcism Of Emily Rose [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Is there a God?Is there life after or,indeed,before death?Do ghosts exist,is there astral travel or are there just mad folk overcome by illness and dreams,by hallucination and hysteria? the latter characters do exist and the mental hospitals are full of haunted souls on drugs to quieten and anaesthetize them and few psychologists take their experiences earnestly as other than symptoms of psychosis.

Where this film scores is in combining the sensationalist occult soap opera of possession and exorcism with the protestant pedantry of the inquisitional courtroom in a way that respects the subject and the witness of the film that also shows Linneys lawyers moral qualms outwork themselves, and who behaves,along with the lead actress,amazingly...nothing is overdone and the film builds to a dreadful climax...I think PIL wrote a song about the teen catholic German girl the tale is founded upon called 'Annaliese',so it does have some basis in real behavior.

The film is not didactic as such,the effects are skilfully underdone and may only after all show the hallucinations of a sick or indoctrinated girl and that leaves aside the actual possibilities of telekinetic or superhuman evolutionary abilities,consideration of which are outside the bounds of rational scepticism and of dogged religious paranoia about demonic posssession.

Given the film claims to be based on a real European case I doubt its conversion to Amerika is very accurate but nonetheless in early witch hunt New England days this girl would've been hung by the kosher Puritans although in this film she is mad and ill at a time when teens are hormonally overladen,perhaps a conspiracy of nature rather than of the Devil.

Personally I see no reason why Satan would stoop to corrupt country girls when he has so many politicians to choose from but this film does entertain philosophically in a way its separate halves in the two genres don't always...my copy had copious extras but Amazon make it hard to tell which version this is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever mix of supernatural horror and courtroom drama., 3 July 2010
Ernie (Kent) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Exorcism Of Emily Rose [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I was really surprised as just how good a film this is, and to label the film as just another horror does the film a huge injustice. The film is a superbly executed mix of tense courtroom drama and supernatural thriller which recalls the series of horrific events which lead to a catholic priest being tried for the negligent murder of a teenage girl named Emily Rose.
The story cleverly walks a fine line between the two arguments of Emily's cause of death, the prosecution claims the Emily was suffering from both epilepsy and psychosis which combined with her religious beliefs manifested in the self belief she was possessed by a demon, and through the priests negligent acts Emily stopped taking her prescribed medication and died. The defence claims that Emily was in fact possessed by six demons, the priest tried to perform an exorcism which failed due to the prescription drugs in Emily's system and Emily died as a result of the possession. The film cleverly adds to the story with the prosecution lawyer being a devout Christian and the Priests defence lawyer being an agnostic who throughout the case begins to question her own views.
Overall, this is a superb film, expertly paced with a superb cast and a story which will have you hooked from start to end.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

The Exorcism Of Emily Rose [DVD] [2006]
The Exorcism Of Emily Rose [DVD] [2006] by Scott Derrickson (DVD - 2006)