Format: Audio CD|Change

on 31 July 2006
Basically, i dont like much modern music. Most i find is commercialised bland rubbish, with loads of studio tweaking and poor musicianship. This album, in my opninion, is one of the best of recent times. Lets go through the standout tracks in my opinion:

1: Seaside. Quite frankly i cant imagine a much better opener. this is emotive and enjoyable, and quite sad if youve already got the blues im sure!

3: Sofa song: This is great to dance to at parties and the lyrics and first guitar solo are very happy (theres no other way to describe it).

5: Ooh la: Just catchy

6: You dont love me: Slightly too indie but the first part of the song especially is catchy nd fun.

7: She moves in her own way: Most peoples tout for the gest song on the album i think, and i would agree, wonderful lyrics, catchy, summery and a good guitar solo too.

8: Matchbox: Quite odd in my opinion but one of my favourite tracks on the album

9: Naive: Overplayed on the radio but still a wonderful song that will ahve you singing along throughout

13: Time Awaits: The only of the latter songs that i really like, this is amazing and the in/out phasing guitar at the end puts me in mind that things are going to be big for this band in the future

Overall, this album is not my usual taste in music. im not really an indie fan (i dont liek babyshambles, libertines, aric monkeys etc) and yet this is my kind of album - it shows that there are great things to come and that the singer has a great maturity especially. Im a massive skynyrd, zeppelin and lizzy fan, and yet this will certainly be played by me alot!!!

buy it now and dont listen to the other people who have had a go at this on here!!!
on 22 May 2006
Not being the type of person who would usually buy so-called indie albums, and buying this solely off the back of hearing Naive on the radio (as well as being, admittedly, intrigued by the sexy lead - v. Bob Dylan!), I was so pleased with this collection of fabulous and original songs - not since the mid-nineties have I got myself so worked up over a rock band!

Their sheer energy is so infectious, their raw talent is all the more exciting because of their youth, and as for 'cashing in' on recent trands? A band that has clearly been working hard for a long time to reach such high standards of musicianship don't deserve such dismissal.

I would recommend trying this even if you don't like bands like the Killers (I've never got excited by them) because the energy and in turn beauty of many of the songs will appeal to loads of different music fans. It is an album that sounds retro one minute and fresh and modern the next. I think this is one of those examples where talent just wins out.
on 25 August 2006
After weaning myself off Indie and Britpop bands at the beginning of the decade to go into underground dance this was an inpulse buy. Actually the other half wanted to go and see them live so after buying tickets for a silly price (sold out show) i thought i had better buy the album. Prob a wise move eh..

I have to say i have not been this impressed with a debut album since well.. a long time.

Personally i prefer the album tracks to the singles. The album is sharp, spiky and straight to the point. Normally i prefer something more lo-fi like sparklehorse or sonic youth, but this is sheer pop/rock excellence. Reminds me of my teens listening to Supergrass Drinking Cheap Wine. If you were into your indie 10 years ago you will love this
on 12 February 2006
Having read some of the other published reviews here on amazon, i can't help but agree with the ambivelence towards the plague of 'the..' bands. But that only makes it more of a shock when you listen to a track like 'naive', and realise that the kooks are not 'just another one of those bands'. The kooks have a fresh yet comfortably familiar sound. The opening track echoes the opening of Coldplay's debut album; a short, beautiful track to let you settle in to an amazing collection of highly varied songs. To me, the kooks are somewhere between The Arctic Monkeys and Razorlight, however 'Inside In/Inside out' puts them in pole position.
Best tracks: naive. she moves in her own way, you dont love me
on 20 March 2006
This album simply took my breath away. from the start of the opening of seaside (which is my favourite track on the album)i was hooked on it. the kooks are a breath of fresh air to indie music, their lyrics are thoughtful and touching without being too heart-on-a-string-esque. if you like athlete then the kooks are a happier and more imaginative less well known counterpart. a really enjoyable listen.
on 20 January 2006
Having been introduced to the Kooks through a friend, and was even booked tickets to see them before I had ever heard a song by them - I was genuinely impressed when I was given an advance of this album by the same friend.
The album starts with an acoustic Coldplay-type track named 'Seaside'. Although at first this was the track I initially skipped, I find myself frequently reciting the lyrics in my head.
The album continues to be strong throughout. Luke Pritchard's vocal range is staggering and his Brighton accent remains an infectious attraction all through the solid album.
The standout track is without a doubt 'Niave' which has some superb vocal lines that are bound to stay in your head for days. The guitars sound great on this track, but again Pritchard sells the song with sheer brilliance.
Other standout tracks include the seemingly monotone 'Ooh La' - that eventually develops into a great middle track for the album.
Perhaps my only criticisms are the lyrics. Whilst some may find them straightforward and to the point, in my mind they lack any real depth. (Eg. "I want you back, please give it me back). Additionally, there are some experimental tracks - namely 'Match Box' that perhaps, whilst showing diversity, should have been left out.
Nevertheless, a superb album by some talented Indie lads. It is refreshing to see a young British band producing such catchy stuff.
VINE VOICEon 28 September 2007
some good songs on the kooks first outing here. 'naieve' 'she moves in her own way' and ooh la' are excellent. Keep a look out for these boys from Brighton, they're going places love it!
on 14 February 2006
I first heard of The Kooks on Zane Lowe's show on Radio 1 - he played "Naive" and it completely stuck in my head. Now I made the leap of faith and bought the album I can really see the potential in this band. For me, the stand out track is "Naive" - its one of the best guitar tracks I've heard in years and has a great little riff going through it that stays in your head for days on end. Give this album a try - for my money it beats the Artic Monkey's offering hands down, and while some tracks are a tad forgetable, it certainly deserves your attention and money.
VINE VOICEon 24 January 2006
The Kooks are another band from Brighton who are beginning to get recognized by the world of indie rock. This week they are battling it out with Arctic Monkeys to get their albums to number.1. With the Arctic Monkeys, they're being talked about more, but at the moment, The Kooks are very underated.
Highlight tracks in this really upbeat album are opener, "Seaside" which reminds be of my and their home town, Brighton. "See The World" and "Sofa Song" are continously in your face and spectacular. "Match Box" is the highlight on the album, a real impovement from the demo version of the song.
Finally, "I Want You Back" shows that the Kooks can slow it down and make it work. It's almost a ballad until you hear the chorus which highlights the lead singers confidence.
Hopefully, once the whole world has heard this album, The Kooks will no longer be underated.
on 27 October 2007
I sooo loved this - one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. Such a good sound! A big 'must-have' for any Kooks fan! Fantastic!!