5.0 out of 5 stars Live together or Die alone
From the first episode of Lost i became completely addicted. Very rarely does a TV programme come along which blows you away, the last that did this for me was Band of Brother's.

The basic idea of the show has been done before, plane crash on a mystical island, passengers survive and hope for rescue but this is where the magic of Lost kick's in and all sort's...
Published on 1 Jan. 2008 by G. Peters

3.0 out of 5 stars To help you decide ...
My partner loves this series and I just about tolerate it hence 3 stars. I am going to try to give a balanced review of why you might or might not enjoy watching this series that reviewers have reviewed as `absolutely brilliant' down to being `absolute rubbish' without giving too much away.

Why you would enjoy LOST

If you want something at the end...
Published on 30 Jan. 2010 by Savita

‹ Previous | 114 15 1621 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great to start with, then ironically loses it,s way, 4 Feb. 2006
russell clarke "stipesdoppleganger" (halifax, west yorks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: LOST - The Complete First Season [2005] (DVD)
Occasionally in life you meet someone who you make an immediate connection with and for a short time everything is great, you see a lot of each other and every minute you spend with them seems completely right. Then for some reason the novelty wears off. You start seeing less of them, and the time you do spend is uncomfortable and awkward. Before you know it you start making paltry excuses not to see them and within a matter of weeks the wholes things fizzled out like a firework on a canoe. For no discernible reason the whole relationship has lost it’s sparkle. That is how feel about Lost.
I thought the pilot and the first couple of episodes proper were terrific. Intriguing, original, refreshing and tense. Then, like in a relationship I started to pick up on its annoying habits. Its lack of narrative momentum and its paper thin characterisation. Its implausible flashback based potted histories and the way it raises more question per episode than University Challenge yet is far too lazy and complacent to ever give us any answers. Not one. Some viewers may find this wonderfully mysterious and captivating but like I said I think it’s just lazy writing. Any decent hack can throw multiple apparently improbable conundrums at an audience but it takes real work and talent to tie it all together and provide some solutions to them. After all we are asking the same questions as the characters and are we to believes that they fail to adequately answer even one. Even a bunch as photogenically spectacular and self absorbed as this lot would surely stumble on something even by accident. Apart from the fat guy (He’s probably the most likable character though) with the Cleo Laine haircut they are a remarkably good looking lot aren’t they. The ex Hobbit has a face that looks like it’s been stoved in with a shovel but is still better looking than 80% of us while that older bloke who was in the far superior and more mysterious “Millennium “ is no slouch for his age. I’ll wager the writers never bother explaining the statistical oddity that made that demographic occur. Or the fact that none of them ever need to shave or start to lose weight.
Theories about what this programme is really about proliferate like wasps round a litter bin. The characters are in purgatory in which case I know how they feel, have been kidnapped by aliens, and are part of some reality TV experiment (Reality doesn’t figure high in this series though does it? All those people surviving a major plane crash with a few cuts and bruises ……hmmmmm), are part of a government experiment in which case again I know how they feel or most subversive of all have actually crashed and actually are stranded on a real island.
Lost is slick, well acted with high production values and is at least trying to achieve something original. But there is a nagging feeling that it could have been so much better. And as other reviewers have pointed out this box set compared to the Region 1 version is a complete rip off. And who knows , it may be explained in the end. But how long will it take to get there? Will I still be watching? Will you.? You see even I can do it. Ask loads of questions without knowing the answers. As things stand my relationship with Lost is at the uncomfortable and awkward stage. By Series 2 I may be making lame excuses not to see it. Those skirting boards in the bedroom sure could do with a good dusting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lost is superb, no doubt, 24 Jan. 2006
This review is from: LOST - The Complete First Season [2005] (DVD)
Lost, a vast selection of characters stranded on a mysterious island - sounds so unoriginal - yet Lost makes it original.
Without a doubt, Lost is one of the very best shows on Television. With a strange evolving clever plot, superb acting and good special effects lost will take you into a world of mass confusion and complication. The thing which makes lost so impressive is how the writer's entertain us with generally boring things. The plot is very slow building, the tension is well formulated and could have been slightly better, and the way we find out about our characters is superb.
Admittedly, all characters seem relatively boring at first, the plot forces us into liking the characters and hating some others. We later discover the good are the bad and the bad are the good in a way. The acting in places is weak and annoying, but the clever script and superb skills of the other characters create a good general balance.
The main weakness of lost is that admittedly its quite boring. Although dont get me wrong, its very entertaining, there are too many scenes which seem to drag on, or issues which arent really relevant to the big picture. Lost is also too weird. The first episodes were well constructed but suddenly we feel as though the writers are making it up as they go along - but perhaps thats to conclude in the second series.
A frustrating quality of Lost is that it fails to distribute enough tension, and the endings of episodes appear to be rushed and not as exciting as they perhaps could be. Lost seems to rob much of its ideas on 24 but fails to execute them as well.
Lost is a good show filled with a superb and twisted plot, great acting and a good cast. The DVD is an essential purchase for any fan and fully reccomended for all others. Lost is good, but not excellent.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pleased I haven't bought the full set, 27 Aug. 2013
This review is from: LOST - The Complete First Season [2005] (DVD)
Bought this box set because so many people raved about it when it was on TV. I'm not sure why. I hated the first episode but didn't feel that gave the rest of it a fair chance so watched 6 episodes and my feelings about it haven't changed. The cast was practically a carbon copy of the case from The Following (I know this was on TV later than Lost) so I couldn't help but relate the two sets of characters. I will persevere with it but can't see myself buying another season.

5.0 out of 5 stars the way to watch it, 1 Jun. 2006
This review is from: LOST - The Complete First Season [2005] (DVD)
YOU COULD BE FORGIVEN FOR STEERING CLEAR OF THIS ONE IF,LIKE ME, YOU LOST INTEREST ABOUT HALF WAY THROUGH THIS SHOWS TV RUN LAST YEAR-BUT YOU'D BE WRONG TO DO THAT!

IT'S EASY TO LOSE THE PLOT LINES WHEN YOU'VE GOT TO WAIT A WEEK BETWEEN EPISODES,BUT-OH BROTHER WHEN YOU WATCH THEM IN MARATHON-MODE YOU WILL SEE WHY SO MANY AMERICANS ARE GOING NUTS OVER THIS LITTLE GEM FROM THE ALWAYS BRILLIANT J.J.ABRAHMS WHO ALSO CREATED "ALIAS" AND THE NEW MISSION IMPOSSIBLE FILM!

THERE ARE SO MANY UNANSWERED QUESTIONS THAT YOU TELL YOURSELF THAT YOU WILL JUST WATCH ONE MORE EPISODE-JUST TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS- BUT THAT ONE EPISODE THROWS UP AT LEAST AS MANY QUESTIONS AS ANSWERS!!

IT HAS TO SAID THAT THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF EYE CANDY EITHER.

MY WIFE SEEMS TO LIKE THAT SAWYER BLOKE....HMMPH!

KATE IS A FAVOURITE OF MINE THOUGH-AND SHE HAS DARK SECRETS THAT HAVE YET TO BE FULLY REVEALED PHWOARR!!

I'VE LEARNED MY LESSON FOR SEASON 2 OF THE SERIES AND WILL WAIT FOR THE DVD.

I SUGGEST YOU DO THE SAME

2.0 out of 5 stars Subititles and language tracks, 9 Dec. 2010
I'm very disappointed. At that moment when lost came out, i followed the first and the second season on satellite TV. Now I bought the full blu ray pack (6 seasons) from UK, which includes every single 'UK' season, so I could watch Lost from the beginning to the end with my girlfriend. She is japanese.

Even the description of this item says 'japanese language'. I was not interested in japanese audio soundtrack, because i watch every movie in its original language, although it's neither my motherlangue nor my girlfriend's....I was rather interested in japanese subtitles (check the list of amazon and you fill find that japanese is included among the subtitles). I put the bluray in my ps3, choose the subtitles....and japanese is not there. What the **** ? I can't understand, also because the japanese track AND subtitles is listed EVEN on the back of the bluray cover....every language written there is present in the bluray menu, apart from japanese.

What's happening? Maybe someone can understand this...it's never happened to me that languages WRITTEN ON THE COVER are not present in the blu ray itself.

Apart from this, Lost remains a very good tv series.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm LOST in Lost, 3 Jan. 2006
This review is from: LOST - The Complete First Season [2005] (DVD)
Actually I don't think I am lost... not having a TV, I heard from work colleagues about this TV series, as always I am on the lookout for a bargain and so surfed the net to find the complete first series at Amzon.com for the catch of £26.00 including postage, which I must say is the best price anywhere on the net... unless you buy an illegal version.
The series has provoked our thoughts and created many conversations... what is in the Hatch? And what’s with the numbers?? I really enjoyed the series and can't wait for the US to finish showing series two so that we can settle down and find out who, or what is in the hatch and who are the others!!!!.. I really enjoyed the way they unravelled each characters story.. and so many connections to each other! Is this maybe just a dream or is it real... either way, hopefully I’d stop dreaming I am on the island sometime soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: LOST - The Complete First Season [2005] (DVD)
There was little damage on the item but very little as you would expect from a second hand item. no scratches and to be quite honest it could of passed as a slightly battered new item. The only reason it lost a star was because this is one season, I now have 5 more increasingly expensive items to purchase and spend all my time watching...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Feb. 2015
Great thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome TV Drama, 7 Mar. 2006
Nick (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: LOST - The Complete First Season [2005] (DVD)
Nothing ive seen on tv compares to this, it is utterly brilliant, dvd's are great too, the 7 discs are perfect no money has been spared. Skeptics of this program need to get in more and watch these.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 25 Jan. 2015
Good series

‹ Previous | 114 15 1621 | Next ›

LOST - The Complete First Season [2005]
LOST - The Complete First Season [2005] by Emilie De Ravin (DVD - 2006)