4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money
Published on 8 Aug. 2010 by Mr. Kevin Stuttard

2.0 out of 5 stars Fairly dissapointed, even for the price.
The micophone itself looks and feels quite good, allthough it also feels a little light (which is usually a bad sign). It even comes in a very professional looking carrying case. Perhaps all of this is done just to hide the very bad recording quality of the microphone. At first, I thought there was something wrong with my audio interface (Tascam US220L). I sold it...
Published 18 months ago by DuckMan

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 8 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Behringer C-1 Studio Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
I thought long and hard before parting with my cash for this microphone. We run a small recording studio in my workplace and often use a Rode NT2 condenser mic. I wanted a condenser I could use at home for recording using Pro Tools but didn't want to spend a fortune. The Behringer then was a complete shock to me. Good quality plastic carry case, good quality metal mike housing, professional looking, chunky and with reassuring weight to it etc etc. I decided to record some guitar at work using the Rode NT2 and then record the same piece into Pro Tools using the C1 and then compare them. There are more features on the Rode NT2 such as pattern choice, cardiod etc etc and a filter, but hey, thats what you pay £200 quid for. For the price, the Behringer was brilliant. I cannot recommend this enough. Don't spend a fortune, buy one of these and you wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Microphone, Excellent Value, 24 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Behringer C-1 Studio Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
For the price, this is a brilliant microphone. For anyone looking to build a home studio or do any kind of recording I highly recommend this product. Just a few warnings:

- The mic does not come with any cables; the (connector on the bottom of the mic is a male XLR).
- This mic requires phantom power - you can't just plug it directly into your PC (unless you have an expensive soundcard designed for the purpose). I bought a seperate phantom power supply unit, the Behringer MicroPower PS400, which provides the necessary juice for the mic to operate. For use with a PC I have the following setup: Mic -> male-female xlr cable -> phantom power unit -> female xlr-mini jack cable -> pc. I don't use a preamp, the levels are sufficient for my recording purposes (although your results may vary!) Note that there IS a usb version of the mic, the Behringer C-1U, but personally I'd avoid it; you never know when you might want to use the mic WITHOUT a pc...

Hope this was a help to any prospective buyers! Again, this is highly a recommended mic.

5.0 out of 5 stars AFFORDABLE QUALITY, 20 Dec. 2012
pete shields "axepete" (Mansfield Notts England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Behringer C-1 Studio Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
I was looking for a condenser mic to use when I am recording home demo's on my macbook.
I use Garageband and had borrowed a friends Samson CO1, which is an excellent mic for the money ( they can be found on Amazon for around the £50 mark.)
However, I have a friend who bought the Behringer C1 mic and swore by it, so after reading reviews and watching a few demo's on youtube, I thought at £34 there is absolutely nothing to loose.
I am so glad I did.
There isn't a lot in it.
They are both a real bargain at the price, yet of the two I am more impressed with the Behringer ( £15 cheaper too ! - which paid for a decent XLR lead and a pop shield )
I have experimented with the mic and with a wee bit of patience, and tweaking my little Wharfdale mini desk, I am astounded at the results.
Some reviewers have moaned about the " noise " .... forgive me, but I fail to understand what they must be doing - this mic is beautifully quiet, wonderfully responsive to the top, mid and bottom range and gives outstanding results ( and I'm a whisperer of a vocalist so I need a fair bit of depth ).
I can not recommend this mic highly enough.
Behringer are a superb company who make a brilliant range of products.
This mic is excellently built.
It is very sturdy, aesthetically pleasing ( lovely subtle gold colour ) has an indicator light, which lights up with phantom power and comes in a well made case complete with mic stand adapter.
One of the best value buys I have made this year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Behringer C-1 Good value, but questionable build quality, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Behringer C-1 Studio Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
I bought this having spent some time reviewing and it seemed like very good value with lots of positive feedback. You will see scathing comments from the 'anti-Behringer league' but please, do bear in mind the cost of this item. I suspect most of the scathing reporters will have spent substantially more on their microphone of choice.

My initial thoughts were of great disappointment as there was a terrible buzz / hum. This was regardless of what phantom supply was used and what lead. I looked long and hard on the old faithful internet and everything pointed to an earth loop problem suggesting that my hardware was earthing to different points which could cause the problem. I found a particularly good response on a forum relating to an earth loop hum on a different product, so using the guidance of that learned forum member, I ruled out each symptom one by one to conclude there was a fault with a microphone.

I worked through these possible causes, using different phantom power sources, initially on my presonus firestudio mobile, then from my spirit folio RAC PAC mixer. Both resulted in the humm or buzz. I tried an alternative shure dynamic mic plugged into both, no humm or buzz even with the phantom power on so it wasn’t a 48v problem. I bought another XLR lead through AMAZON which arrived next day thanks to my prime membership, but still the C-1 hummed so it didn’t seem to be the lead.

To alleviate the earth loop possibility, I disconnected my macbook pro from the mains charger and powered the presonus through firewrire only (no need for a wall-wart which is very handy ! ) – so the power was all from the battery. The C-1 still hummed but again the shure dynamic mic didn’t..

Now by co-incidence, it was at that point that I went to change over the XLR lead again and the buzzing stopped ! I realized that when I tightened the mic onto the mount, the lead was wiggled and the buzzing stopped. When I investigated further, the three pins at the bottom of the mic that the XLR lead were actually loose! Tightening or loosening the mount would make the buzz go away, but if the mic was moved slightly it would come back. So the solution that I found on the forum was correct, namely there was a manufacturing problem that resulted in a dodgy earth actually in the mic itself !

I’m not sure of this’ll work but here’s the link to that very useful information that I found..

[...]

So I did have a short opportunity to try the mic after a bit of cable wiggling and it did sound pretty good for a £34 microphone. I can see why this is a firm favourite. I did find it a tiny wee bit noisy, that may have been something to do with my set-up though.

So I sent it back but replacements aren’t in stock. I’ve waited for a few days for them to return to stock but I have now decided to get the rode NT1-A instead. My decision is based largely on the reliability.

So if you get a good–un, I’m sure you’ll be pleased. If it buzzes, check it over, you may just have a faulty one, like I did. Some of the scathing reviews I have seen I must conclude can only be down to a faulty item, because when it works, for £34 it really is very good. I can only give 4 stars on the basis that my one had to go back due to the manufacturing fault.

5.0 out of 5 stars For The Money... Unbelievable performance., 25 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Behringer C-1 Studio Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
I purchased one of these microphones a couple of years ago now and to be honest i wasn't expecting much quality at this price. Condenser microphones I have used in the past in studios have always been in at least triple figures, if not more. However I was actually pleasantly amazed by the transparency of the sound reproduction. I think I expected limited frequency response and a muggy, coloured sound you so often get with cheap microphones... none of that here; clear, uncoloured sound reproduction. I'm sure top mixing engineers will argue that to their ears you can tell it's not a top quality mic, but frankly if you did the pepsi challenge with this and a triple figure mic, I bet there would be few who could distinguish one from the other. In any case, let's face it, at this price you can't really go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 10 April 2010
Ms. S. Butcher (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Behringer C-1 Studio Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
I thought it was going to be a low quality mic for what I paid for it...but it's actually been a great buy. Its really easy to set up, especially for beginners and you can get a great sound out of it. I always buy from behringer and always will do because they ensure that making music is accessible to everyone...the novices included! A 5/5 all round. Well done behringer for making another brilliant piece of equipment. Although the only qualm that I did have was that I did not know what equipment I needed with the mic ... would be helpful to have a list of items needed to go with the mic...had to buy a preamp and interface. A prompt delivery as well...2 days on a standard delivery charge! Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mic for the money, 6 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Behringer C-1 Studio Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
A lot of reviews say that there is little or no difference between this and more expensive condenser mics. Sorry but that's not really the case in my opinion. You get 'almost' the performance for not a lot of money, that makes it a good buy, but I found this mic to be lacking in recording vocal tracks. For recording acoustic guitar it is amazing though or even for mic-ing up an amp for recording guitar and bass it produces a warm full sound with fairly good frequency response and low noise and hiss, for web casting or just a general mic for speaking rather than singing it's fine but for the serious recording guy or gal that wishes to capture the full essence of their singing look for something higher up the market. When it comes to recording acoustic guitar though this is my mic of choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Behringer C1 Condenser Mic Review - Amazingly Brilliant Talk or Singing Machine!, 12 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Behringer C-1 Studio Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
WOW! What an amazing Mic! The Behrniger C1 Provides not only Quality but a lifetime of it ! i have had this for 2 years now and it feels as good and sounds crisp and clear as if it came out of the box brand new. Also comes in a very well protected case for the mic. I have been looking for a shockmount for this Mic but the only one i have found avalible is the Samson Shockmounts which are a little pricey!
But apart from that Overall this Mic has its rates set higher than any other Condenser Mic for any Ability!

I Walked away extremelly Satisfied with this Product so thank you Behrninger!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Outstanding., 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Behringer C-1 Studio Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
I've had this microphone for roughly 2 months, and I can't find a flaw in it yet. Its designed well, and although its a little heavier than other condenser's I've worked with in the past, my mic stand ( Tiger Low Level Mic Stand with Round Base ) supports it well without any issues.

Down to sound quality itself, when positioned right (I have mine directly overhead, positioned upside-down in a shock mount) it sounds excellent. plugged into my mixer ( Behringer XENYX 1002B Mixer ) and with some of the settings tweaked, it sounds even better.

It comes in a neat carry case, padded with foam, and a universal adaptor for converting a 5/8 thread to 3/8 (the thread by default is 5/8) which I used with my previous mic stand before I got my current one.

There is also a handy little red light on the side of the microphone, which lights up when it is turned on and is receiving power.

It dispatched quickly, I ordered it on monday and it arrived on thursday, which is good service considering I used free delivery.

Overall, a very good product - but don't forget you'll need an XLR cable (not supplied) and a mixer or interface that has Phantom Power, or the mic won't work!

4.0 out of 5 stars Behringer Studio Condenser Microphone C-1 - Studio Condenser Microphone, 1 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Behringer C-1 Studio Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
On the whole very pleased, good transparent sound, very robust, good mounting, like the case. Can be a little noisy so you have to be careful with the input setting, works well with the Beringer valve pre amp. Especially good on vocals, steel strung acoustic, (not so good on classical guitar) and as an ambience mike when using an SM 57 as a close Mike. Overall excellent value for money and very pleased, recomended

Behringer C-1 Studio Condenser Microphone