5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best PMG album (so far......), 7 Feb 2006
Patrick Moore (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Road To You (Audio CD)
I own pretty much everything ever released by either the PMG or Pat Metheny as a solo artist, and, if I could choose only one Metheny track as a Desert Island Disc, it would probably be the live version of "Third Wind" from this album. It was a great tune even in the studio version (on "Still Life (Talking)"), but the version here goes to a whole other level - definitely 11 out of 10!
The band on this recording is built around the core quartet that stayed together from First Circle to Imaginary Day, featuring Metheny, Lyle Mays on keyboards, Steve Rodby on bass and drummer Paul Wertico. In addition to those four, this line-up includes singer and multi-instrumentalist Pedro Aznar and percussionist Armando Marcal. The same personnel played on Letter From Home, which included studio versions of many of the tracks featured here.
In addition to the tunes from Letter From Home, the album includes a couple originally on "Still Life (Talking)" and the title track from "First Circle", plus a number of tracks that are unique to this album, including the epic "Half-Life of Absolution".
Apart from the tunes already mentioned, personal favourites include "Better Days Ahead", which features an awesome piano solo. This was an OK tune in its original version, but the live version on this album is in a different league. The versions of "Have You Heard" and "First Circle" are also terrific, but there really aren't any weak tunes here.
All in all, this album represents a great record of one of THE jazz groups of the last thirty years, with a line-up that had reached the peak of its powers. If you like anything the PMG had done up to this point, this is a no-brainer to add to your collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular!, 25 May 2008
Pr Egan (Market Harborough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Road To You (Audio CD)
This is my favorite Pat Metheny Group CD, capturing the verve, technique, warmth and technicality of the band. 'Have You Heard' could produce the disturbing spectacle of my dancing if I was a dancing man - but in my head I am moving to the music. 'First Circle' is a wonderful building composition with the best of jazz and the best of sophisticated ensemble progressive music (no insult in my book). The jazz-fusion Brazilian themes later into the recording warm the heart and make you gasp at points, such is the invention of Metheney's guitar solos. Our frontal lobes are given a stretch for the 'Half-Life of Absolution', a long and sometimes difficult track that gets to you as you grasp the themes, a bit like modern classical music (but in a good way). If I have any recommendations, it's that the eventual remaster has another disc with the other tracks performed at the concerts, which are also worth hearing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Road to you, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Road To You (Audio CD)
Another Metheny Live album which is quite frankly one of the most well produced live albums created to date. Featuring tender solo performances as well as electrifying band performance, this remains my favourite Metheny album to date. Great price, excellent delivery... another happy amazon customer :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Introducing To The Pat Metheny Group ... And A Fantastic Live Album!, 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Road To You (Audio CD)
I've recently re-discovered The Pat Metheny Group's music.

I purchased this album and 'Still Life (Talking)' back in the 80's but for no good reason whatsoever they have sat on my shelf unplayed for a long time. However, having read a great article in The Word magazine about Pat and Goldie, I dug out those albums and gave them another airing ... and then played them again ... and again! I'd forgotten how great they were. Over the Summer I have been gradually picking up more albums from Mr. Metheny's catalogue.

I'm not a big fan of live albums, but there are a select few that really manage to capture the spirit of the shows they were recorded at; Bob Marley 'Live At The Lyceum', Cheap Trick 'At Budokan', Deep Purple 'Made In Japan', etc. ... 'The Road To You' definitely belongs in that category.

The album features 4 tracks from 'Letter From Home' (it was recorded on the tour in support of that record), 2 from 'Still Life (Talking)' and the title track from the band's last ECM album 'First Circle' along with some previously unrecorded pieces. On the material that has already been released, the live versions (especially 'First Circle') often eclipse the original studio recordings.

The recording quality is superb throughout (and I only have the original issue CD; the 2006 remaster may be even better). The wonderful interplay between the drums, bass & percussion provide the perfect backdrop to the guitar, keyboards and vocals.

"Uplifting" is a word I have seen attributed to Metheny's music and I would agree. I nearly went to one of the few UK concerts on this tour and didn't ... listening to this album again makes me really regret missing that show.

All in all this album is the perfect introduction to PMG and is also a classic live album.

If you buy this, like it and wonder where to go next, I would suggest 'The Way Up' from 2005 as a PMG group album or 'Secret Story' from 1992 which although is credited as a Metheny solo album includes many of the PMG players and features some wonderful orchestration.

A word of caution ... definitely hear the album 'Song X' that Metheny recorded with Ornette Coleman before you contemplate buying it! That album really is a "Love Or Hate" record ... and I'm afraid I hate it.

The Road To You
The Road To You by Pat Metheny (Audio CD - 2006)