4.0 out of 5 stars decent budget compilation
Published on 6 Jan. 2012 by gille liath

3.0 out of 5 stars Define definitive?
This album is not reflective of the work of Dick Gaughan. Don't get me wrong - these are all great songs and I would advise anyone with a passing interest to listen to Dick Gaughan. I won't say don't buy this but if you want a truer reflection of Dick's work then get Prentice Piece - he picked the tracks himself.
Published on 14 Feb. 2006 by Barry Cunningham

3.0 out of 5 stars Define definitive?, 14 Feb. 2006
Barry Cunningham "bazc" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Definitive Collection (Audio CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars decent budget compilation, 6 Jan. 2012
gille liath (US of K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
Given that Prentice Piece, mentioned by other reviewers, is currently three times the price, it would be churlish to complain too much about this album. Gaughan is one of the most compelling folksingers going, and this album includes some of his best recordings; for me, the absence of political numbers isn't a drawback. It does also include some that aren't so wonderful.

Myself, I would still take the classic Handful of Earth as the starting point. How the heart-rending Craigie Hill managed to be missed off this, or any Gaughan compilation, is beyond me.

The Definitive Collection
The Definitive Collection by Dick Gaughan (Audio CD - 2006)